Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Cycling, since I was about 5
Hiking in the countryside, since about 16
Surfing, since about 19
Environmental activism, since about 25
Real ale, since about 30.
Wine, since about 40.

MrsBC says I have too many hobbies (& the above list excludes following Fulham).

EDIT: And I keep thinking of new hobbies. Returning from The North on Monday, we visited a M1 service station and went on the original concrete footbridge. This led me to find this website and I decided I'd like to visit every motorway service station, in date order.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bikes, motorised or peddle power. At the moment riding my motorbikes at every opportunity weather or work allows. Even the trip to Sainsbury's on my Monkey bike today was fun.
This.

I love the look on peoples faces when yu load a 60 + year old scooter with a weeks shop . . . .it is what they were designed for after all.

similar to a monkey bike, this usually raises a smile. . .not fast but it can break the speed limit from Btn to Worthing all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpeg
    IMG_4099.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 18

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Birdwatching.

Been doing it since my teens. Travelled the length and breadth of the UK, Europe, Egypt and the States with my bins and scope and sketchpads for fieldnotes. Forests, mountains, lakes, reservoirs and deltas. In all weather - heavy snow in the Highlands, boiling temperatures in Southern Europe, thunderstorms in UK. All on public transport too. Twitching and keeping year lists. Carried out surveys and worked for several ornithological/environmental organisations.

It was a massive loss a few years ago when I became too ill to keep up the level of intensity and twitching I did before but still getting out at the moment locally for a few hours a week and hopefully if things improve, may make a birding trip in the Spring to the Canaries.

Being in nature, being still, intently observing, listening, being in isolation or with other birders amongst stunning scenery just centres me in a way nothing else does.
Fantastic 👍👍.
What birds do you hope to see in the Canaries?😉 (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Never thought about headphones, I must admit, and hearing the countryside, as you say, can be the best part.
Last summer I missed the last connection from Haywards Heath to Lewes (strictly speaking, the train from St Pancras was delayed and missed it for me) and decided to walk from Burgess Hill.

The sun came up around the time I got to Cooksbridge. I'd never appreciated how apt the phrase "dawn chorus" is, but that's exactly what it's like when you're in the countryside as the sun comes up and all the birds gradually start piping up.

1000010495.jpg

Lovely.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Last summer I missed the last connection from Haywards Heath to Lewes (strictly speaking, the train from St Pancras was delayed and missed it for me) and decided to walk from Burgess Hill.

The sun came up around the time I got to Cooksbridge. I'd never appreciated how apt the phrase "dawn chorus" is, but that's exactly what it's like when you're in the countryside as the sun comes up and all the birds gradually start piping up.

View attachment 189379
Lovely.
That’s stunning

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Music is without doubt my longest hobby/passion. I started listening and buying cassettes and records at a very young age and have never stopped. I went to my first gig at 16 and have never stopped this either. With age my consumption has increased and probably buy 20-30 vinyl albums a year and the same with gigs. I peaked with 40 plus gigs in a single year a few years back, including a memorable 9 in 13 day run. I also love reading and talking about it.

It still gives me immense pleasure, I am still enthusiastic about, and look out for, new music, and I guess this will only end when I do.
Same here. To expand a bit.....I have cassette recordings of R1 John Peel, Bob Harris, Alan Black and the Jock DJ whose name escapes me from around 1970, through to CITR (Vancouver) in the mid 80s. I have converted some of the rare stuff onto MP3 but alas many will never be played again. I have some vinyls. LPs and 12 inch singles mostly. I posted a list of all my 7 inch singles on NSC some time ago and got pelters for it from a couple of arse hats. :lolol:

I then moved on to CDs with a focus on completism of my favourite 80s (mainly) music. In the late 90s I discovered GEMM a now-defunct global CD vending site that had me buying mountains of stuff from small record stores all over the world (much to the annoyance of my credit card provider who was alarmed that I was apparently spending money in, e.g., Argentina, Israel and Russia on the same day). Then I wandered into short lived illegal MP3 curation/download sites and peer to peer exchanging. That kicked off a bit of an orgy of indulgence. That then brought me into darkwave and related genres. I went out watching live music again after a 15 year hiatus. Now I have a massive collection of MP3 music....

About 10 years ago I found a member-only site that curates old Peel programmes, Whole 2h programmes lovingly converted from listeners' 8 track stereo recordings onto MP3. I have thousands of hours of these downloaded and have barely scratched the surface in terms of listening. They are wondrous. Even the early 70s ones are top quality.

And then there is my iPods. I have 4 all with the same music on them. I lost an iPod once and was so distressed I found I had to keep multiple back ups. These are all now full so I have a new one that I plan to pack exclusively with wave, trap and witch house (my obsessions for the last 10 years). I have thousands of hours of of stuff burned onto CD. Not the smartest storage vehicle but it was the only option when I started, and I started so I'll finish.

If I like a new artist I will buy their entire output directly from them if this is available.

I listen to music for at least 3 hours each day. I have an iPod on random play in the car and another in my work-commute bag. If I forget the iPod as I did today, I have a frightful commute because I have to listen to other people making noise, and that stresses me out.

I suspect all this is an expression of my autism. Collecting, obsessing....and enjoying an almost secret private pursuit. I have thousands of CDs in wall mounted storage. I had the wall reinforced to take the weight. They are all in alphabetical order (obviously :wink: ), but I have thousands more (bespoke burns) that are stored on spindles.

I'll get my coat.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’ve no idea if mine’s the largest collection, I do know a couple of others who have a decent collection too.

The club are aware of my collection and have borrowed items in the past for events and photo shoots. They certainly don’t have many in their own archive, the ones you see in Dicks Bar are probably all of them from pre Amex era. That said I’ve lent them quite a few from the Amex era for photo shoots as they don’t have them.

Not sure what the oldest known shirt is, the oldest two I know are Peter Wards debut away and home shirts which he still owns. I’ve spoke to a few other past players and they’ve not kept any of their shirts.
Actually I do know someone who owns some early to mid 1970s shirts including a genuine Bukta home shirt with a Dolphins badge on it, only ever worn pre-season and by the reserves as it was immediately superseded as the Seagulls nickname was adopted.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Same here. To expand a bit.....I have cassette recordings of R1 John Peel, Bob Harris, Alan Black and the Jock DJ whose name escapes me from around 1970, through to CITR (Vancouver) in the mid 80s. I have converted some of the rare stuff onto MP3 but alas many will never be played again. I have some vinyls. LPs and 12 inch singles mostly. I posted a list of all my 7 inch singles on NSC some time ago and got pelters for it from a couple of arse hats. :lolol:

I then moved on to CDs with a focus on completism of my favourite 80s (mainly) music. In the late 90s I discovered GEMM a now-defunct global CD vending site that had me buying mountains of stuff from small record stores all over the world (much to the annoyance of my credit card provider who was alarmed that I was apparently spending money in, e.g., Argentina, Israel and Russia on the same day). Then I wandered into short lived illegal MP3 curation/download sites and peer to peer exchanging. That kicked off a bit of an orgy of indulgence. That then brought me into darkwave and related genres. I went out watching live music again after a 15 year hiatus. Now I have a massive collection of MP3 music....

About 10 years ago I found a member-only site that curates old Peel programmes, Whole 2h programmes lovingly converted from listeners' 8 track stereo recordings onto MP3. I have thousands of hours of these downloaded and have barely scratched the surface in terms of listening. They are wondrous. Even the early 70s ones are top quality.

And then there is my iPods. I have 4 all with the same music on them. I lost an iPod once and was so distressed I found I had to keep multiple back ups. These are all now full so I have a new one that I plan to pack exclusively with wave, trap and witch house (my obsessions for the last 10 years). I have thousands of hours of of stuff burned onto CD. Not the smartest storage vehicle but it was the only option when I started, and I started so I'll finish.

If I like a new artist I will buy their entire output directly from them if this is available.

I listen to music for at least 3 hours each day. I have an iPod on random play in the car and another in my work-commute bag. If I forget the iPod as I did today, I have a frightful commute because I have to listen to other people making noise, and that stresses me out.

I suspect all this is an expression of my autism. Collecting, obsessing....and enjoying an almost secret private pursuit. I have thousands of CDs in wall mounted storage. I had the wall reinforced to take the weight. They are all in alphabetical order (obviously :wink: ), but I have thousands more (bespoke burns) that are stored on spindles.

I'll get my coat.
too long; didn't listen ;)

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I collect 78 rpm records from British Dance Bands from the 1930s and 40s and specifically those featuring Al Bowlly (see profile pic) as the vocalist.
I absolutely love Al Bowlly

Have this Album in my collection

(Interestingly the Ray Noble band featured Glenn Miller as it’s first trombonist for a few months in 1936.)

Also love Victor Sylvester

(I worked in a nursing home many years ago and use to bung on a Victor Sylvester recording and get them quick stepping round the living room :lol:)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I'll get my coat.
All seems perfectly normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here