Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Longest standing pursuit / hobby

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I suppose one of my longest interests has been fx trading 25 years and counting. I have now built my own profitable strategy through blood sweat and tears.
Work related hobby tool addict.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not a long standing interest but I started collecting fancy bags/luggage when I was mid to late 20s. I have built up a modest collection which now contains two Globetrotter cases, a small leather Globetrotter back pack, a Globetotter leather tote (often mistaken for a hand bag), two Mulburry manbags, a Porsche leather European style man purse and two McQueen leather wallets with chains.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
An unhealthy (financially) interest in cars and Brighton and Hove Albion

I regret that a fanatical interest has cooled right down over the last decade or so though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boringly, football. Was kicking a ball soon after I was toddling and used to try to volley my teddy bears into a sofa goal. The first Cup Final I can remember is Ipswich v Arsenal when I was seven. First Brighton game at age 9, despite my dad not going. I basically complained until one of his friends took me. Futbology tells me I’ve done 617 games but I know there’s loads missing and that’s despite living abroad for years because…..

….my other one is travel (on public transport). Apparently, when I was a kid, I knew every bus route in Brighton. I’m not really a bus fan now but I love going to new places and old. Trains and planes when they work are fantastic (and massively shite when they don’t) and I enjoy the sea and am never seasick. I’ve had jobs that involve travel since I was in my late 20s, quite deliberately. Back then my happiest time was living in Taiwan and playing football for Carnegies Pub in the (quite misnamed) Taipei Premier League. Now I’m happiest on a train with friends, my son and a few cans going to or from an away game.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Loving reading all the things people get up to. I find it hard to stick to any one thing for long and get temporary obsessions, but the thing I’ve always done is writing. I’ve been paid for it but never done it for a living and love doing it so much that I’d see a lottery win as creating the opportunity to do it a lot more so I’m still counting it as a hobby.

I’ve written and had published fiction, non-fiction, some magazine articles about photography and also about history, but travel writing is my passion, and 25-30 years ago got published in a few magazines and contributed to some Lonely Planet books. I still write, mostly just for myself these days though one of my proudest moments relates to writing. I find the actual getting in print a weird anticlimax but got a huge rush seeing something I’d written “in the wild” in someone’s hands in what seemed like the unlikely location of the ferry between Lantau Island and mainland Hong Kong in around 2002. I’m nearly 50 and still see the idea of my backpack, a bus somewhere overseas, and a notepad for taking notes as I research something as very much my happy place just like I did in my late teens/early 20s.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh. I had to throw one Globetrotter away after my case was, unknown to me, randomly selected by US customs for inspection. They utterly destroyed it, breaking both locks to open it, distorting the shape and covering sections, outside and in, with grease.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reading. I often prefer to read a book, rather than watch tv. I will never watch a film if I’ve read the book.
Watching sport in general, although football takes priority.
Crosstitch and gardening when the arthritis allows it.

boik

I guess my longest standing hobby is playing with IT. Started at school in the mid 70s, sending off punched cards to be run on the Sun Alliance mainframe and getting the results back a few days later. Got a job in IT in '76 and then things got more interesting when I got a ZX80 . Took it apart and managed to get it controlling my Sequential Circuits Pro One synth in the days before midi. Had various home computers including a Newbrain, Atari ST and Atari Falcon. In 92 I got a modem, and downloaded all of the sources for Linux 0.99 and spent days cross-compiling it to run on the falcon.

Since then I've built dozens of PCs all running Linux exclusively. Been tinkering with Raspberry Pis since they came out, including one that runs all of our home automation, a pico that connects to a set of foot pedals to generate midi for my keyboard and drum machine. My last project was to build a smart lap-counter for my mates Scalextric circuit.

A geek and proud of it!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As well as the aforementioned love of hiking, climbing,and walking, I have always loved film. Obsessively.

So much so that I turned my love into a career as an actor and stuntman for the best part of 20 yrs.

Age made me calm down though and I reluctantly moved into another career.

Genuinely the best years of my life. When a film crew are all working together to get something done.. not a feeling like it in the world.

Just off for breakfast then a walk over the Downs now!

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
For me? Hiking. Could not live without it. Keeps me sane.

From a kid exploring the woods near our house to trips to mountain ranges and forests both UK and abroad to regular walks on the South Downs, it’s been my longest standing interest. Solo or with mates, it’s been a constant.

What about you?
Exactly the same as yourself.

Once a year me and a few mates continue to travel to either the Lake District or the Highlands to get a mountain or two in. Such a great community of people, young and old. The first pint in a country pub after a day of hiking, there's no feeling better.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Exactly the same as yourself.

Once a year me and a few mates continue to travel to either the Lake District or the Highlands to get a mountain or two in. Such a great community of people, young and old. The first pint in a country pub after a day of hiking, there's no feeling better.
Oh yes!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've collected Scotland World Cup Winners stamps since 1978. Still a few spaces left in my album, has to be said :down:

IMG_20240925_091912.jpg

IMG_20240925_091934.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Music is without doubt my longest hobby/passion. I started listening and buying cassettes and records at a very young age and have never stopped. I went to my first gig at 16 and have never stopped this either. With age my consumption has increased and probably buy 20-30 vinyl albums a year and the same with gigs. I peaked with 40 plus gigs in a single year a few years back, including a memorable 9 in 13 day run. I also love reading and talking about it.

It still gives me immense pleasure, I am still enthusiastic about, and look out for, new music, and I guess this will only end when I do.
What was your first gig?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here