Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Longest standing pursuit / hobby

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For me? Hiking. Could not live without it. Keeps me sane.

From a kid exploring the woods near our house to trips to mountain ranges and forests both UK and abroad to regular walks on the South Downs, it’s been my longest standing interest. Solo or with mates, it’s been a constant.

What about you?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Birdwatching.

Been doing it since my teens. Travelled the length and breadth of the UK, Europe, Egypt and the States with my bins and scope and sketchpads for fieldnotes. Forests, mountains, lakes, reservoirs and deltas. In all weather - heavy snow in the Highlands, boiling temperatures in Southern Europe, thunderstorms in UK. All on public transport too. Twitching and keeping year lists. Carried out surveys and worked for several ornithological/environmental organisations.

It was a massive loss a few years ago when I became too ill to keep up the level of intensity and twitching I did before but still getting out at the moment locally for a few hours a week and hopefully if things improve, may make a birding trip in the Spring to the Canaries.

Being in nature, being still, intently observing, listening, being in isolation or with other birders amongst stunning scenery just centres me in a way nothing else does.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Birdwatching.

Been doing it since my teens. Travelled the length and breadth of the UK, Europe, Egypt and the States with my bins and scope and sketchpads for fieldnotes. Forests, mountains, lakes, reservoirs and deltas. In all weather - heavy snow in the Highlands, boiling temperatures in Southern Europe, thunderstorms in UK. All on public transport too. Twitching and keeping year lists. Carried out surveys and worked for several ornithological/environmental organisations.

It was a massive loss a few years ago when I became too ill to keep up the level of intensity and twitching I did before but still getting out at the moment locally for a few hours a week and hopefully if things improve, may make a birding trip in the Spring to the Canaries.

Being in nature, being still, intently observing, listening, being in isolation or with other birders amongst stunning scenery just centres me in a way nothing else does.
Genuinely sounds perfect. Hope you get back to full strength 👍

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Birdwatching.

I have taken you off ignore as it's not kind or my style. my old friend from school is Dave Callahan, indie legend and notable birdwatcher, have you heard of him?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Skiing. First went with the school when 16, then resumed after a very long gap. Love the whole thing.

Also gardening, dabbled as a young teen, unusually this wasn’t through family being into it at all (although my Dad made amazing ornamental lawns). Got into wildlife and organic gardening with our first house with a garden purchase in 1999. Hardly any experts followed that ethos then, now they all do it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have taken you off ignore as it's not kind or my style. my old friend from school is Dave Callahan, indie legend and notable birdwatcher, have you heard of him?
👍

I have. He’s written several books on the southeast. Not read them but I’m aware of him.

Edit; sorry, realised that wasn’t a question for me!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've played chess since I was about 5 or 6 years old and have played reasonably regularly ever since but not obsessively - have never been in a club.

Bridge, on the other hand, I played and played: at school, at uni at bridge clubs, at tournaments, at people's houses. In the past, I could have played four or five times a week (and practised on the other days). I still play online bridge and would probably play live in-person bridge if I knew local people who play it (I don't want to join a bridge club, I don't find them welcoming places).

So, chess is the longest-standing but bridge is more of an obsession

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My longest hobby has been basically being a leg end.

The thing I go to more than anything is programming, I’ve loved it since I was a kid poking the keys on a zx spectrum not having a clue what I was doing to now knowing quite a few languages and love just figuring out how programs work and what I can to them 😂.
Never had a talent for anything computer based but had a few mates who used to do all kinds of things on an Archimedes computer!! Back in 87/88!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fishing. Started with my dad as a toddler, have gone through spells of not doing much (late teens for example) and then doing loads (soon after moving to Sussex in my mid 20s for example, getting serious enough to go to national champs etc), then occasional only when the kids were young and work was obstructive. Now retired and going as much as 3-4 times per week sometimes - mostly coarse (matches) but regular boat trips at sea and a bit of fly fishing too. Secretary of the local club now too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fishing. Started with my dad as a toddler, have gone through spells of not doing much (late teens for example) and then doing loads (soon after moving to Sussex in my mid 20s for example, getting serious enough to go to national champs etc), then occasional only when the kids were young and work was obstructive. Now retired and going as much as 3-4 times per week sometimes - mostly coarse (matches) but regular boat trips at sea and a bit of fly fishing too. Secretary of the local club now too.
Is it as nice as Bob and Paul make it seem? Looks like a very peaceful past time.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
👍

I have. He’s written several books on the southeast. Not read them but I’m aware of him.

Edit; sorry, realised that wasn’t a question for me!
Ha, you know of Dave? We were at school many many years ago. Still in contact after 40 years apart, his new album sounds lush, he's gone from wolfhounds> moonshake > kind of folky billy bragg stuff. highly recommended

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is it as nice as Bob and Paul make it seem? Looks like a very peaceful past time.
Yep……programme is pretty representative to be honest. We actually run a series of free events in part promoting the benefits to MH.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ha, you know of Dave? We were at school many many years ago. Still in contact after 40 years apart, his new album sounds lush, he's gone from wolfhounds> moonshake > kind of folky billy bragg stuff. highly recommended
I will check those out, cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here