Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long haul flights

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm going on a flight to San Francisco next week...does anyone know which airlines offer Wireless and are there any with VOIP sevices yet?

cheers geekios:wave:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If you want to fly direct from Heathrow your only bet is United. I don't even think BA go direct there now. I've done it but it was a while ago.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Virgin fly to San Fran I think youll find. I used to go there reguarly when I worked there.

Not sure about wireless though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Loads of airlines fly direct to San Fran. It looks like I'm going with either Virgin or BA, do u know if either have wireless services. I have a feeling only United offer it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lucky bastard. San Fran is wicked, especially if it's sunny. Get ya arse down the fishermans wharf but and have some chowder, top noshing.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
yep, san fran is another gay town as well, which usually means partay central, unfortunately I will be spending a lot of the time in San Jose working

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well you could always drop a dime as they say. I think you'll find that only those three fly direct from London. I forgot about Virgin but I reckon that both they and BA can match United.

What you may find is that Wireless is only available in Club nad higher though. I'd check their web sites.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
Luftansa are the only current European airline to offer wireless which means you'd need to fly to Germany and out again.

Route info:

http://portal.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/nonav/notaxonomy?l=en&nodeid=1331277#availability

TA. I think United fly direct there from London and offer wireless, but the company I'm working for have accounts with Virgin and BA so i'll probably have to go with them.

Ho hum, I didnt wanna work anyway, I just wanted to follow the Preston match!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dwayne said:
Loads of airlines fly direct to San Fran. It looks like I'm going with either Virgin or BA, do u know if either have wireless services. I have a feeling only United offer it.

United only have authorisation for their 757s and I'm not sure they've even started it yet:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/06/technology/personaltech/united_wifi/

You're not going to get a 757 on that route, mainly because they can't fly that far.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
There is a quality club called 1015 on Folsom Avenue, or at least it was a few years back.

You also have to check out Haight Ashbury. Very bizarre part of town.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
Bizarre that your 'employer' will buy you a ticket for a plane but leave it to your to take your chances with passports, visas and the good ole US Immigration Service...

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&postid=904538#post904538

not bizarre as I'm a contractor and a second class citizen.

I have ordered a new passport and am still awaiting delivery, it's supposed to come tomorrow, ive cut it a bit fine, I know!. visa, fill it out on plane. Immigration - is there anything else I need to do?!?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bozza said:
Bizarre that your 'employer' will buy you a ticket for a plane but leave it to your to take your chances with passports, visas and the good ole US Immigration Service...

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&postid=904538#post904538

US Immigration ... BASTARDS !!!!

Actually, if you're working there officially you're breaking US Immigration Law by using the Visa Waiver. I've got a bit hot on this for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
lufthansa trans-atlantic is less than brilliant.

very germanic is the best way to describe it. efficient yet dull.

oh and the stewards are all over 40.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
afters said:
lufthansa trans-atlantic is less than brilliant.

very germanic is the best way to describe it. efficient yet dull.

oh and the stewards are all over 40.

Virgin wins on pretty much everything from what I've heard from regular travellers

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Virgin are good and always have youngish Flight Attendants. There's a reason for this though, their flight attendants sign a contract and 'retire' at 35. The other long haul carriers have older staff but in an emergancy experience wins over looks hands down.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
dwayne said:
Virgin wins on pretty much everything from what I've heard from regular travellers

that's right.

BA had the edge with those beds for a while but virgin is much better experience. also flown united, american and air france trans-atlantic and no big shakes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here