Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long ball option

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Andy n reports that gus said after the game yesterday that "we now have an option to go long". Have we signed someone? It sounds like it. Could be a fun day of guessing then.

I will go first. Cox. I thought Blackburn had pulled out. This is based on nothing but a guess.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I hope that we have signed someone. Trying to play long ball with our current shortish strikers would be plain daft. All we need to know now is who?

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Isn't it something to do with poker and Tony Bloom?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Playing long isnt necessarily about height and can be about speed

I recognise this but it certainly helps to have a bit of height up front. And I maintain that our current strikeforce is too lightweight.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I recognise this but it certainly helps to have a bit of height up front. And I maintain that our current strikeforce is too lightweight.

When a team press you high up the pitch they are vulnerable to the ball over the top into the space for on rushing forwards. I suspect Gus has managed to get the team to move the ball quicker which was always the weakness last season

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When CMS is fit...this tactic will benefit him greatly

Can't see it, personally, as he struggles on his own and the perception by most fans is that Barnes is one of the worst strikers we have ever had

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
When a team press you high up the pitch they are vulnerable to the ball over the top into the space for on rushing forwards. I suspect Gus has managed to get the team to move the ball quicker which was always the weakness last season

The failure to move the ball quickly (and decisively at times) was also a frustration for me last season. If Gus can get the current squad to play at a higher tempo that would be a significant step forward. All teams are wary of sides that move the ball at pace - especially when there is a purpose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here