Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loans or Young Players?

What would you prefer to see in the Albion team?

• Young players

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Players on loan from another club

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Given a choice would you rather see the Albion play some of the younger players than bring in more loanees such as Savage, Thornton and now Johnson?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Young players every time.

It's all well and good getting in 4 loan players, but happens when the season is over? It's not like we can afford to buy every player we get on loan. I would prefer to see us play young players that we OWN, and maybe fill in gaps with 1 or maybe 2 loan players. Anymore and it gets a bit silly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If any of the young players looked good enough go with them but they arent so in our position it has got to be loans

Is the correct answer. If we stuck to principles and played our youngsters and had no loanees, we would certainly go down this year and probably next as well.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Generally young players but I love the new loanee.
Young and loanee, mixture of both:)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Deffo loans.Our kids are getting good experience and regular games at Bognor,Lewes etc.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I think there's a time for both. I'd be wary of putting youngsters in at the moment as l wouldn't want to ruin them by putting them under too much pressure.

The ideal time for youngsters is when you have already won the title and have nothing more to play for.

At the moment, I'd plump for experienced pro's.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We have too many loans, 2 should be the limit

Last year we had loads of our kids playing and we finished 7th, and needed a couple of experienced pros to see us through to the play offs

This season Micky has phased them all out execpt Elphick, and the amount of loans along with new signings has unbalanced the team, ethos of the club and maybe team spirit??

Stumpy Tim

Last year we had loads of our kids playing and we finished 7th, and needed a couple of experienced pros to see us through to the play offs

This season Micky has phased them all out execpt Elphick, and the amount of loans along with new signings has unbalanced the team, ethos of the club and maybe team spirit??

WORD

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Young players every day of the week. I cannot stand the loan system and would rather we try out our own as opposed to doing some other club/player a favour.

Unless, of course, the loan is a view to a permanent move.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is obvious that Adams doesnt rate our youngsters and when he was here before, he had no intention of playing youngsters, whereas Dean saw these lads come through from an early age therefore he trusted them more.

I think in these days at Brighton when results mean everything, pressure is such that youngsters are not even contemplated when selecting a team.

Even on here, most people are suggesting when the dutch chap is injured, we do not use the second string goalkeeper, but go and try and get someone on loan.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Amen to that. But then Mickey is a DINOSAUR.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

The team spirit issue and the effect that loanees have on the culture and set up of the club is a worry. Personally I feel that certain young players like Fraser (who played well when I have seen him this season) and Robinson to name but two could have been doing as good a job as certain of the loanees. And they would be gaining much needed experience that we are given to someone else who will just take that back to their own club.

It seems particularly daft that we have a player as good as Joel Lynch on loan someone else because he could not get into the team.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

I wouldn't say there were loads of kids in the team, Elphick and Cox were regulars, Robinson was in and out but usually in the squad. Lynch was in when fit. Hammond was in the team but hardly a kid any more. Fraser was a fringe player. Rents was didn't get many chances and was eventually released. The year before there were more but they struggled. It's a nice idea to have a lot of youth players but you need some experience around them and you need to accept that they're not all good enough. Which I think we were doing, but at the moment I think we're going too far the other way.

The key is to get the balance right. And at the moment even if they are good players we have too many loans. We could feasibly field an entire loan midfield tonight, Anyinsah-Savage-Johnson-Thornton, which does on paper look pretty good but it must be unsettling to have this amount of loan players, Johnson is here til January but the rest are up in the air. I don't think it's productive and it could've been avoided by better preparation anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that whole loan sytem is wrong it should be that the only players that you can loan are those the parent club is willing to sell. The fee for the player should be set prior to the loan and the club borrowing the player should pay 5 or 10% of the agreed fee per month that the player is on loan. At the end of the loan the borrowing club either agree a permanent deal or the player goes back to his parent club and the money paid is lost and treated as a hiring fee for his services.

That would stop clubs abusing the system and either get promoted or avoid relegation on the strength of loan players who arent their players and no possibility of ever being so as Arry did with Pompey to get into the Prem.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here