Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loadsa Money??

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Despite being very complementary about us (even when by all accounts we weren't that great) the Yeovil boss has had a dig saying we've got loads of money to spend.

I can only assume that as he is using it in the present tense that some big signings are on the way!!

Yippeeeeeeee!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We've spent over a £100m on a stadium without any loans from banks, plans to build a £15m training complex, and can afford to turn down bids for players around £1m. I'd say compared to Yeovil we're pretty well off

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
We've spent over a £100m on a stadium without any loans from banks, plans to build a £15m training complex, and can afford to turn down bids for players around £1m. I'd say compared to Yeovil we're pretty well off

Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't suggesting that we weren't better off than Yeovil, it was just the way the quote read was that he was suggesting that we had bought our way to the top of league. Which correct me if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure we haven't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wouldn't worry about it. Its the stock answer from every sour manager after we've beaten them.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't suggesting that we weren't better off than Yeovil, it was just the way the quote read was that he was suggesting that we had bought our way to the top of league. Which correct me if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure we haven't.

Not when you compare us to Southampton we haven't. But we have been able to turn down big offers and attract players like Greer and Lua Lua, all for modest sums/fees but that's not something Yeovil could compete with really. Your post said "we've got loads of money to spend" as well, which we do have!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

Ankergren - Free
Calderon - Free
Greer - £300k
El Abd - Free
Painter - Free
Bennett - £200k
Dicker - £15k
Bridcutt - Free
Murray - £300k
Barnes - £150k
Wood - loan

Thats pretty much £1million, then £300k on Noone on the bench, £60k on Holroyd and it adds up, despite loads of freebies

That doesnt include sale of players obviously like Croft.

Has any team spent more than us? Southampton, sure ive read theyve spent £6million on their squad

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sour grapes yes but we do have more money than them, we have better crowds for a start. Granted we know that we don't have as much money as some of the other teams in this league but neither do we have the debts of yet others. If Skiverton wants his team to take the role of League One paupers that's his choice. We've taken six points off them and that's all I care about.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Ankergren - Free
Calderon - Free
Greer - £300k
El Abd - Free
Painter - Free
Bennett - £200k
Dicker - £15k
Bridcutt - Free
Murray - £300k
Barnes - £150k
Wood - loan

Thats pretty much £1million, then £300k on Noone on the bench, £60k on Holroyd and it adds up, despite loads of freebies

That doesnt include sale of players obviously like Croft.

Has any team spent more than us? Southampton, sure ive read theyve spent £6million on their squad

Fair point but if you look at wage bill I'd expect we'd certainly be behind Southampton, Charlton and Sheff Weds. Probably behind Hudds, Peterborough and if reports about BWP were true then possibly Plymouth too.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I can remember when we didn't have a pot to piss in, Yeovil will just have to turn it around as we have and find themselves a chairman who is a devoted fan

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I wouldn't worry about it. Its the stock answer from every sour manager after we've beaten them.

Is correct.

It's an easy, very defensive get out for most managers whose teams have been comprehensively (or otherwise) beaten by us..

I think I read somewhere that we were 9th in the list of League One spenders in terms of transfer fees? Hardly 'buying' our way to the top...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here