Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living on a boat

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
My partner and I are considering buying a Dutch Barge with a mooring on or near the River Thames. Has anyone done or know anyone that has done this? There's only so much you can pick up from books and the Internet, so I'd be interested to hear about the less obvious pitfalls from those with any experience.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Would love to live on one of the houseboats in Shoreham however Mrs Hut doesn't.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A great friend of mine lived on a boat in Brighton Marina for a year on and off. It has been moved to Newhaven for works and he is hoping to take it down to Toulouse as it is a great deal cheaper to moor there. Now moved into a flat with his girlfriend. There is another chap, I know through Alex, who has lived on his boat for 5 years or so.

If you have any direct questions, then I would be happy to pass them onto him.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Are you planning to touch it with a barge pole

I thank you.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
A great friend of mine lived on a boat in Brighton Marina for a year on and off. It has been moved to Newhaven for works and he is hoping to take it down to Toulouse as it is a great deal cheaper to moor there. Now moved into a flat with his girlfriend. There is another chap, I know through Alex, who has lived on his boat for 5 years or so.

If you have any direct questions, then I would be happy to pass them onto him.

Is this Alex a carpenter ? Girlfriend nicole ?

Mints

Banned
May 24, 2011
My partner and I are considering buying a Dutch Barge with a mooring on or near the River Thames. Has anyone done or know anyone that has done this? There's only so much you can pick up from books and the Internet, so I'd be interested to hear about the less obvious pitfalls from those with any experience.

Beware of winter - very cold.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
My (ex) good lady and a one time poster on here used to have a house boat moored in Shoreham, not that far from the U Boat contraption.

In the summer (start of May-end of Sept) its a great lifestyle, but the winter is absolute shit. Rats will try to penetrate the boat from the most onscure angles, you have to have some sort of coal/peat fired heating to get you through.

Saying that if you are prepared and ready its a great existance, read Mark Nicholls book about living on a boat (the title escapes me) and good luck with it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here