Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool and Everton - Mickey's Might Share

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
At last a bit of sense in my opinion, when it comes to 2 teams in the same city looking to build new grounds.

From the beeb;

Merseysiders to hold ground talks

Liverpool and Everton are to meet Richard Caborn on Wednesday for talks about sharing a stadium, according to the Sports Minister.
Liverpool have plans already for a new stadium and have previously insisted they would not be sharing it.

But it is possible the Reds might have changed their mind - and Caborn is behind the idea of a groundshare.

A Department of Culture, Media and Sport spokesman said: "Mr Caborn has had a request to convene a meeting."

The spokesman added: "He is more than willing to talk through the issues. He is generally behind the concept of ground-sharing and has supported the recent agreement between Leicester City and Leicester Tigers."

Leicester plan 'super stadium'

Caborn has influence with the Regional Development Agency, which could provide some funds and Liverpool City Council is also keen to promote sharing.

The cost of Liverpool's proposed new 60,000-seat stadium has risen from an original £80m to more than £100m, according to reports.

But Rick Parry, the Anfield chief executive, has said his club would pull out of building their new ground if costs spiralled, rather than share with Everton.

Everton previously had plans to build their own new ground at King's Dock but that was shelved due to cost.

Now, however, it appears the idea is very much back in discussion.

Keith Wyness, the Everton chief executive, told the Liverpool Echo newspaper: "It is another one in a series of meetings related to that subject.

"We will be attending with an open mind to listen to any ideas that are put forward."

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like a good idea to me. What's the point of having two stadiums?? Milan doesn't and they get on fine as do the Rome sides.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Why not?

One end has blue seats and is the Everton home end, and acts as the away end when Liverpool are at home. And vice versa.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I'm not too sure about the stadium-sharing idea. I mean I know that modern Premiership stadia have lost a lot of their personality and character due to the all-seating requirements and the fact that all stadium designers use the same pattern book, but isn't there still something special about having your OWN ground, that is YOUR patch ond no-one elses?

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
I reckon someone coming up with a method of reversing the seat and its back (red one way, blue the other) could make a packet out of this!

Uncle Buck said:
He is in charge of the department that covers sport would be my guess?

And? He has no influence over the building of football stadiums? As we well know that's the remit of Councils and the ODPM.

In fact he had no influence over the Olympic decision!:lolol:

LC

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Surely the ODPM could make it a condition that the two clubs have to share. Otherwise they turn it down.

He could do but it would set a dangours precedent. Then people against stadiums could use it to make teams like Aresnal and Spurs share or Villa and Birmingham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here