Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line-up vs Sunderland

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
With another busy week and a much more important game on Saturday I wonder whether Gus will rest a few tomorrow?

Main candidates seem to be:

Cook possibly replacing Dunk (who despite another card free game on Saturday is still leading Greer by 3-2 on yellows by my count)

Sparrow in for Dicker
LuaLua to get a start maybe ahead of Noone

Can't see Hoskins or Harley getting a start but hope they might make the bench and Hoskins not worth risking.

Possible team:

Ankergren
Calderon Cook Greer Painter
LuaLua Sparrow Bridcutt Vincelot
Barnes Mackail-Smith

subs: Brezovan Buckley Harley Noone Dunk Navarro Bergkamp

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Well the BBC say, ""Brighton striker Ryan Harley needs international clearance to play, after signing from Swansea on Monday morning.""

Hoskins and Buckley are bth out so I'd presume Gus will go LuaLua and give Noone a rest..

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not a huge fan of this comp (final aside) and given I don't expect Bruce to name a team of any consequence I'm keen on seeing us blood a few that aren't realistically going to get much of a chance.

Defo KLL to start (he needs match practice) and as Carling Cup allows 7 subs then some role for Jake, Toby, Bergkamp and Cook

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1. Ankergren
2. Calderon
3. Painter
4. Bridcutt
5. Greer
6. Dunk
7. Sparrow
8. Barnes
9. CMS
10. Dicker
11. Noone

subs: Vincelot, Harley, Cook, Toby, Brez, Caskey, Lualua

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
both managers have said they are playing to compete in cups this season, so should be as close to a first team for both sides.

But I dont think we have a "First Team" any more.
Looking at the squad, there are very few "weak links". In the past we've had automatic choices, and then cover for that positon from the "reserves" or youth team, or in any case... someone not quite as good as the first choice.

Now you look at each position, and there are two or maybe three players in the squad who can play there, all with different qualities, but (to my mind), none of which you would look at and say they are a makeweight.

Any team that Gus perms from this squad is a first team.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If I was a Sunderland fan I would be expecting to take this cup seriously. No reason why they cant win it, and it is all over by March so it shouldn't effect the season that much. I think they'll bring a strong side.

Oct 25, 2003
If I was a Sunderland fan I would be expecting to take this cup seriously. No reason why they cant win it, and it is all over by March so it shouldn't effect the season that much. I think they'll bring a strong side.

birmingham?

i do agree with you though, i don't think sunderland will be in danger of relegation personally, and they're perfectly capable of winning the league cup

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I expect Gus would like to play a full squad but we have four first choice first teamers out with injuries.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Reading some of their media's stuff about this game the indications seem to be they will be making numerous changes.

Got a big feeling it's going to go to extra time, should make the post match travel interesting. :eek:

Ankergren
Calderon Greer Dunk Painter
Bridcutt Dicker
Harley
Noone Makail-Smith LuaLua​

Brezovan, Vincelot, Caskey, Sparrow, Buckley, Hoskins, Barnes

That's what I'd like to see, though there are issues around Buckley, Hoskins, and Harley so who knows. When everyone's fit and available the 5 subs rule is going to mean some quality players don't even make the bench.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
new boy in for vincelot, otherwise same team as saturday. hopefully one of hoskins or buckley will be fit enough for the bench. 3.1 victory. job done!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
birmingham?

i do agree with you though, i don't think sunderland will be in danger of relegation personally, and they're perfectly capable of winning the league cup

Ah yes very good point. But they didn't go down because of their Carling Cup run, they went down because they were shit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ah yes very good point. But they didn't go down because of their Carling Cup run, they went down because they were shit.

Exactly. In March they still had a chance of staying up as indeed did everyone else. Even West Ham!!

March 20th 2011:

11 Newcastle 30 -1 36
12 Fulham 30 0 35
13 Blackburn 30 -12 33
14 Aston Villa 30 -14 33
15 Blackpool 30 -15 33
16 West Brom 30 -15 33
17 West Ham 30 -13 32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RELEGATION ZONE
18 Wolves 30 -14 32
19 Birmingham 29 -13 31
20 Wigan 30 -22 30

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Same team / squad as Saturday, but with Dicker on Bench and Sparrow getting a start. Cook and JFC to make the squad numbers up if Hoskins and Harley are not available.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
......................Ankergren
Calderon.......Greer........Dunk.......Painter

........................Bridcutt

Noone......................................Lua Lua

.........................Harley

....................Barnes....CMS

Lets rip them apart:amex::amex::amex::amex:

Last edited:

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
......................Ankergren
Calderon.......Greer........Dunk.......Painter

........................Bridcutt
Noone......................................Lua Lua

....................Barnes....CMS

Lets rip them apart:amex::amex::amex::amex:

I'd usually go for 11 players but 10 could work i suppose.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Ankergren
Calderon Greer Dunk Painter
Bridcutt
Dicker Noone
Harley
CMS Barnes​

Brezovan, Cook, Vincelot, Sparrow, Forster-Caskey, LuaLua, Bergkamp.

In a way, it's a shame we are taking the cup seriously and playing a strong side. But in other ways, it's good we can put out a strong team knowing we have the strength and depth to be able to do this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here