Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line-up vs Sunderland

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I guess I don't really believe him :) he said they didn't bother last season as they wanted promotion - given our start I'm not sure he won't be thinking that we might also want promotion this year albeit infinitely more difficult. Switching CMS out doesn't make it second string although clearly not the strongest - plus he can load up the bench if it's important

I'm not sure he'll pick a team based on reaction from this forum :whistle:

But it's an interesting debate, dunno who's right, just a theory

The difference is this year a big home tie is a money spinner.last year a tie at withdean would not have been so financially attractive.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The difference is this year a big home tie is a money spinner.last year a tie at withdean would not have been so financially attractive.

Absolutely agree but Gus hasn't said he'll play his strongest team - indeed yesterday I reckon he more than hinted he wasn't. Get out of jail card for Buckley and Hoskins straight away and then if we are building "strength in depth" he'll have to blood a few and this seems as good a time as any. Maybe not to the extent that I think but as we're only disagreeing on one name I'll put him in (even though I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start - the old "picked up a knock in training" one)

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Ankergren
Calderon Greer Dunk Painter
Bridcutt
Dicker Noone
Harley
CMS Barnes​

This would be our best side but Gus isn't going to play a full strength side.

The most obvious switch is Navarro in and Bridcutt getting a rest. He'd also like Sparrow, Lua Lua and Harley to play half a game or so, and Dicker to not play a full game. He also prefers to bring on more attacking players when the opposition is tired.

So.....

Ankergren
Calderon Greer Dunk Painter
Navarro
Dicker Noone
Sparrow
CMS Barnes​

With Harley for Sparrow early in the second half and Lua Lua for Noone. Caskey for Dicker if we are behind or Vincelot otherwise.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That seems a pretty good shout to me, not sure about leaving out Vincelot, but with GP perhaps looking to use substitutes with a penalty shoot out in mind !
I do like Vincelot but he's the one playing furthest forward of the three, which is where Harley is presumably going to play, at least how we're set up right now. Plus, I just think the other two bring a bit more to the midfield especially on the ball. But if Harley isn't ready to start then it's Vince or Spaz.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
After not taking the Woking game seriously on 16.11.2010 we embarked on our worse month of the season (excepting post promotion).

How did we not take it seriously? I looked at the starting line up and given we were playing a Blue Square South side I might have argued the selection looked too serious!! Admittedly some of the subs were a bit off piste but looking at that line up I wouldn't mind betting that Gus planned on being 3-0 by half time and the "dogged defensive performance" (as quoted) caught him with his pants down.

I think the idea that we went on a run of bad form because we didn't play our best team in a cup game is a bit of a stretch. More likely the Woking game was simply the start of a poor run (the next game in which KLL broke a leg, an No I'm not suggesting) ... all but the very best teams will suffer a bad run ... often caused by the loss of a key player but more often inexplicable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here