Ankergren
Calderon Greer Dunk Painter
Bridcutt Vincelot
Lua Lua Harley Noone
CMS

I quite like that!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Reading some of their media's stuff about this game the indications seem to be they will be making numerous changes.

Got a big feeling it's going to go to extra time, should make the post match travel interesting. :eek:

Ankergren
Bridcutt Dicker
Harley
Noone Makail-Smith LuaLua​

Brezovan, Vincelot, Caskey, Sparrow, Buckley, Hoskins, Barnes

That's what I'd like to see, though there are issues around Buckley, Hoskins, and Harley so who knows. When everyone's fit and available the 5 subs rule is going to mean some quality players don't even make the bench.

That seems a pretty good shout to me, not sure about leaving out Vincelot, but with GP perhaps looking to use substitutes with a penalty shoot out in mind !

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Ankergren

Calderon
Greer
Dunk
Painter

Bridcutt
Dicker
Harley

Noone
CMS
Barnes

Subs:
Brezovan
Vincelot
Cook
Sparrow
Navarro
Lua-Lua
Hoskins/Bergkamp/Buckley/Forster-Caskey

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I asked Johnny Byrne on Radio Sussex a few years back (it was probably called Southern Counties then) whether it was feasible to play a right sided winger on the left hand side and vice-versa?

Johnny Byrne said that Jackie Charlton played him on the left for Ireland.

Despite Will Buckley scoring from the left (more like a striker than a winger) against Doncaster, I don't think we will start with wingers on the wrong side. and as two wingers are not feasible (you cannot play on both wings on the same time!) I don't think we will ever see an Albion side with Noone and Lua lua both in. I can see Buckley playing a different role with either left winger. I think Buckley could be the answer to our "missing" striker. Not a "target man" though. I don't think I like target men all that much. It just means the defence lump it up to him, instead of playing it wide and trying to work an opening.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I asked Johnny Byrne on Radio Sussex a few years back (it was probably called Southern Counties then) whether it was feasible to play a right sided winger on the left hand side and vice-versa?

Johnny Byrne said that Jackie Charlton played him on the left for Ireland.

Despite Will Buckley scoring from the left (more like a striker than a winger) against Doncaster, I don't think we will start with wingers on the wrong side. and as two wingers are not feasible (you cannot play on both wings on the same time!) I don't think we will ever see an Albion side with Noone and Lua lua both in. I can see Buckley playing a different role with either left winger. I think Buckley could be the answer to our "missing" striker. Not a "target man" though. I don't think I like target men all that much. It just means the defence lump it up to him, instead of playing it wide and trying to work an opening.

This is where I see the value of Romain Vincelot who, apart from being able to play full back or midfield and admittedly not that tall, scored was it 8 or 10 headed goals for D & R last season, a truly versatile player.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Has Harley got clearance from welsh FA to play tomorrow? Sure he had to have it by noon today to play tomorrow and on 5pm radio Sussex news it said we were still waiting :shrug:

Stumpy Tim

----------------Casper--------------------
Calderon----Greer-----Dunk------Painter
-------------Bridcutt - Dicker-------------
Barnes-----------Harley------------Noone
------------------CMS----------------------

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Anchorman
Calderooney
Cook
Greer
Painter
Harley
Sparrow
Bridcutt
Lualua
Barnes
Bergkamp

subs Caskey-Dicker-Noone-Cms-Rogers-Dunk-Brezovan-

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Defo alone here but I reckon there'll be several changes to both starting line ups from Saturday. Rest a few and try out a few .. it's a noddy comp

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ankergren
Calderon
Greer
Cook
Painter
Lualua
Bridcutt
Harley
Caskey
Cms
Agdestein

Pretty close methinks .. but might switch CMS for Bergkamp? When he was asked yesterday beat S'land or 3 points on Saturday he was pretty emphatic, + his "we're 7000/1 to win it". I just don't see the point of risking for this comp. A strong bench though - will be interesting to see tonight

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He has got to play a strong team,he has said he is taking it seriously..Imagine the outcry on here if he puts out a second string side after all the comments on the ticket prices,,cms will play deffo

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It depends on if Lee Cattermole is playing. We have got off lightly that Bardsley is suspended.

If Cattermole is playing, I would drop anyone we need on Saturday. If he isnt then field our strongest team

My Team

Ankergren

Calderon
Greer
Dunk
Painter

Bridcutt
Sparrow
Harley
Noone
LuaLua

Barnes

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Gus seems to like changing formation to suit the opposition. So may be 4-5-1

Ankergren
Bridcutt Vincelot
Lua Lua Harley Noone
CMS

I quite like that!

I'd be more than happy to see that team play tonight. Brid and Vince clearing up any mess and the creativity of KLL, Harley and Noone - amazing. 4-5-1 while chasing going to 4-4-2 with possession. KLL playing just behind CMS.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
he has said he is taking it seriously..Imagine the outcry on here if he puts out a second string side

I guess I don't really believe him :) he said they didn't bother last season as they wanted promotion - given our start I'm not sure he won't be thinking that we might also want promotion this year albeit infinitely more difficult. Switching CMS out doesn't make it second string although clearly not the strongest - plus he can load up the bench if it's important

I'm not sure he'll pick a team based on reaction from this forum :whistle:

But it's an interesting debate, dunno who's right, just a theory

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Ankergren
Bridcutt
Dicker Noone
Harley
CMS Barnes​

Brezovan, Cook, Vincelot, Sparrow, Forster-Caskey, LuaLua, Bergkamp.

In a way, it's a shame we are taking the cup seriously and playing a strong side. But in other ways, it's good we can put out a strong team knowing we have the strength and depth to be able to do this.

No it's not. Last season we didn't take it seriously and we lost all momentum.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Ankergren

Calderon
Dunk
Greer (c)
Painter

Noone
Bridcutt
Harley
LuaLua

Mackail-Smith
Zamora

Subs: Brezovan, Cook, Vincelot, Sparrow, Dicker, Barnes, Agdestein.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here