Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lincolnshire

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Bearing in mind you live in Cambridgshire your geography of a neighbouring county is pretty shocking!

Lincolnshire is quite definately up north by any standards!!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd say Lincolnshire was Eastern England.

I lived in Leeds for most of the 1980s, and the locals thought that 'oop north' meant Scotland, on the grounds that geographically, Leeds was in the centre of Britain!

And I was at a Chester v Peterborough game once (doing my '92 club' tour), and when a Peterborough defender did a hard tackle on a Chester striker, someone in the home crowd called him a 'dirty cockney bastard'! :ohmy:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its normally covered in people from the east midlands - are you sure they weren't from Nottingham rather than the north? Its an easy mistake to make - similar low brows, joined-up eyebrows, dragging fingers, impenetrable accents etc.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
Its all relative-I would'nt see all of Lincolnshire as north. Scunthorpe I would consider to
be north-but Lincoln,Grantham and Stamford, I would consider to be East Midlands.

All that way north from Soham to Lincolnshire-Im surprised you didnt get a nose bleed!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
And I was at a Chester v Peterborough game once (doing my '92 club' tour), and when a Peterborough defender did a hard tackle on a Chester striker, someone in the home crowd called him a 'dirty cockney bastard'! :ohmy:
We have accused Crewe players of being welsh !!!!!!!

uk_map.gif

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
Its all relative-I would'nt see all of Lincolnshire as north. Scunthorpe I would consider to
be north-but Lincoln,Grantham and Stamford, I would consider to be East Midlands.

All that way north from Soham to Lincolnshire-Im surprised you didnt get a nose bleed!

We were in Tattershall, not sure which part of Lincs that is. Central maybe.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Lincolnshire is borderline, where the northerners start to become the dirty unintelligable types in greater numbers...

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
I wouldn't call that north but suspect a few families were down from 'the North' on their Butlins holiday in Skegness. If you'd driven slightly west then you may have come across slightly more pleasant places/people.

I lived in Coningsby aged 7-14; my paper round was in Tattershall. Definitely Midlands (although Lincoln is on the same latitude as Liverpool!).

The confusion comes from the political/economic oddness of the place. The political north-south divide really runs Avon to Humber, whereas the economic one runs Avon to the Wash.

As for northern accents - in your southern ignorance, you could easily have been failing to recognise a local accent. They vary hugely over the county, due to its size, with parts sounding very similar to Nottinghamshire accents (and that would include the central area you are in), parts sounding very similar to Yorkshire, and parts sounding like no other (ie the Fens). Tattershall is "na'en, duck" territory. Across the county you hear aught and naught (pronounced ote and note - nothing like the owt and nowt of Yorks). Key markers of Lincolnshire dialect and accent include the double-vowel eg wa'ater for water and an oddly Scottish-sounding very short 'or' sound eg wodds for words - there is a dictionary of (mostly north-eastern) Lincolnshire dialect called 'Wodds and Doggerybaw' (doggerybaw is the local words for nonsense). Yellerbellies (Lincolnshire folk) also say 'aye' for yes.

One really good test - real yellerbellies called the season after Summer 'Fall'. The yanks got it from them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't call that north but suspect a few families were down from 'the North' on their Butlins holiday in Skegness. If you'd driven slightly west then you may have come across slightly more pleasant places/people.

That brings back horrific memories.

Many years ago, I was persuaded by some friends to join them in a few days away at Butlins in Skegness. Hell, it only cost £23 for the entire weekend.

All that sticks in my mind is the utter grim-ness of Skeggy as a town, the fact that the star turn at Butlins that weekend was- gulp- Bernard Manning, and that the entire place seemed to be populated with northern hen and stag parties (I think I'd kill the chief bridesmaid if she ever suggested I spend my hen night in such a place).

You get what you pay for in life, and I can certainly say that the place entirely reflected the extremely cheap price we paid for it :nono:

Lincolnshire- that part at least- is most DEFINITELY the north.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lincolnshire is borderline, where the northerners start to become the dirty unintelligable types in greater numbers...
I thought that was Arundel.

sammy g

I remember a stag do in the mid nineties in Blackpool after watching Albion at Carlisle it was club chucking out-time and the streets of Blackpool were like the cult film "Warriors", gangs of Northern Men and Women either beating the living snot out of each other or copulating with each other. When a Police men heard our accents he advised us to "Get out of here quick". Last time I ever spent a night out in the North!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here