Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lift to Shrewsbury

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Anyone got space to Shrewsbury for one person?

Call 07990662503

Tom Nicholls

Aug 21, 2005
Gloucester
Fillets of Sole Véronique

2 good-sized Dover or lemon sole, each about 12-16 oz (350-450 g), skinned and filleted
3 oz (75 g) Muscat-type grapes
1/2 oz (10 g) butter, plus a little extra
1 heaped teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
6 fl oz (175 ml) vermouth or dry white wine
1/2 oz (10 g) plain flour
5 fl oz (150 ml) whipping cream
salt and freshly milled black pepper
You will also need an ovenproof serving dish.

First peel the grapes well in advance by placing them in a bowl and pouring boiling water over them. Leave them for 45 seconds, then drain off the water and you will find the skins will slip off easily. Cut the grapes in half, remove the seeds, then return them to the bowl and cover and chill in the refrigerator until needed.

When you are ready to start cooking the fish, begin by warming the serving dish and have a sheet of foil ready. Then wipe each of the 4 sole fillets and divide each one in half lengthways by cutting along the natural line, so you now have 8 fillets. Season them and roll each one up as tightly as possible, keeping the skinned side on the inside and starting the roll at the narrow end. Next put a faint smear of butter on the base of a medium frying pan and arrange the sole fillets in it. Then sprinkle in the tarragon followed by the vermouth.

Now place the pan on a medium heat and bring it up to simmering point. Cover, then put a timer on and poach the fillets for 3-4 minutes, depending on their thickness. While the fish is poaching pre-heat the grill to its highest setting.

Meanwhile take a small saucepan, melt the butter in it, stir in the flour to make a smooth paste and let it cook gently, stirring all the time, until it has become a pale straw colour. When the fish is cooked transfer the fillets with a fish slice to the warmed dish, cover with foil and keep warm. Reserve the poaching liquid.

Next boil the fish-poaching liquid in its pan until it has reduced to about a third of its original volume. Stir in the cream and let that come up to a gentle simmer, then gradually add this cream and liquid mixture to the flour and butter mixture in the small saucepan, whisking it in well until you have a thin, creamy sauce. Taste and season with salt and freshly milled black pepper.

Pour the sauce over the fish and pop it under the pre-heated grill (about 4 inches from the source of the heat) and leave it there for approximately 3 minutes, until it is glazed golden brown on top. Serve each portion on to warmed serving plates, garnished with grapes.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Strange response! ???

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Fixtures?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A very odd response but I like the sound of it, do you reckon it would work with plaice as Dover sole tends to be a bit on the expensive side?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Pan Fried Dover Sole Recipes

Dover sole is a flatfish, it boasts a delicate flavour and requires the minimum of cooking. Lemon sole can be used as an alternative according to availability of the fish and your personal preference. The Dover sole is thought by food gurus to have a superior taste but I think they are both splendid eating fish when prepared properly. Some 'experts' also maintain that the Dover sole tastes better when a couple of days old, my own philosophy is to eat fish as fresh as possible.

Sole can be fried, grilled or poached as fillets or whole fish, your fishmonger will usually skin and fillet the fish if you ask them according to your preference. The recipe is for medium sized fillets and the cooking times are more than doubled for whole fish. This recipe serves four and takes 10 minutes to prepare and about the same to cook. Serve with delicate flavours to get the full benefit of the sole; baby leaf spinach, asparagus tips, baby cabbage or baby carrots. For a great light lunch try with a mixed summer salad.

I was introduced to this pan fried method many moons ago when I was growing up in Kent, at that time sole was regarded as something of a luxury.

Ingredients:

A large knob knob of butter
8 double fillets of Dover or Lemon sole.
About half a cup of flour
A large splash of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Place the fish in the flour and briefly bathe the sole until it has an even coasting. .

Place half the butter and about two tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan (non-stick is best) on a medium heat.

Shake any excess flour from the fish and fry gently for about three minutes on each side. Add the rest of the butter when you turn the fish. The effect you're looking for is lightly golden on both sides, serve when warm

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
It's not for me.

We're going in a minibus which is full, but my mate needs a lift.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
fatboy said:
We're going in a minibus which is full, but my mate needs a lift.

For a minute there I thought I wouldnt have to put up with you for 10 or so hours of precious life.

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here