Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lewes,what to do

johnwells

Jan 6, 2005
What about a boycott of all shopping in Lewes and the bonfire procession,thats a good money making evening for the Town ,sadly just had this years.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why should the shopkeepers suffer for what the councillors do?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pointless hitting local businesses ion the pocket over this - its no fault of theirs. And God help us if we're still frigging about with this next November.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
johnwells said:
What about a boycott of all shopping in Lewes and the bonfire procession,thats a good money making evening for the Town ,sadly just had this years.

???

Yeah lets hit the people we are looking for support from :nono:

Bonfire is only a bonus for the pubs in Lewes as all the shops shut during the festivities.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
A boycott is fine by me, but be sure to let the council leaders know why you are doing it. Their decision to appeall seems petty and vindictive and I can be just the same. This whole thing has left a sour taste in the mouth as far as Lewes is concerned. The councillors should know that their district will suffer because of it.
I will not be making my annual chrimbo shopping trip to the Harveys shop in Lewes as I don't want any of my money anywhere near that shit pot town and its surounding area.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If you want to do something to get some revenge on LDC, use the FOI Act. Rather than making enemies of local shopkeepers-snarl up LDC's daily routine with hundreds of requests for information. I mentioned this on another thread. If enough people do it they'll have to hire a couple of people to handle the workload...Remember-they have to reply within 20 working days.

I think I'll start by asking about expenses claimed by one of the 9 tossers.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
80's Seagull said:
A boycott is fine by me, but be sure to let the council leaders know why you are doing it. Their decision to appeall seems petty and vindictive and I can be just the same. This whole thing has left a sour taste in the mouth as far as Lewes is concerned. The councillors should know that their district will suffer because of it.
I will not be making my annual chrimbo shopping trip to the Harveys shop in Lewes as I don't want any of my money anywhere near that shit pot town and its surounding area.
But you are directing your "vengence" on the wrong people - in fact, the very people who we need support from. If Harveys has one of Roz's excellent posters in the window supporting the campaign against LDC, will you still decide to boycott their shop regardless ?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
"If you want to do something to get some revenge on LDC, use the FOI Act. Rather than making enemies of local shopkeepers-snarl up LDC's daily routine with hundreds of requests for information. I mentioned this on another thread. If enough people do it they'll have to hire a couple of people to handle the workload...Remember-they have to reply within 20 working days."

You have to be careful about this, because there is an in built defence mechanism in the fees regime for FOI to protect local authorities against this kind of denial of service attack. If a local authority thinks that a series of FOI requests are part of an orchestrated campaign it can aggregate them for the purposes of charging, and in effect refuse to reply. Therefore all your requests would have to be different, and the less you say about a "campaign" the better...

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
johnwells said:

Have you seen the shops in Lewes.....approx 20 antique shops and 25 hairdressers

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
This is a ridiculous idea. Lewes is a hotbed for real Albion support, and as well as that the majority of people who don't follow the Albion would still like to see them succeed.

LDC are a bunch of middle-class tossers who don't even slightly represent the majority of the town, the turnout in elections is absolutely shocking, I for one an quite politically aware but know little about its members or administration.

You only have to look at their absolute contempt and lack of support for their own football club, which at the moment is enjoying unprecedented success, but is ultimately being held back because of a completely unaccomodating council.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
80's Seagull said:

That'll be the same Harveys who supported our cause with their 'Bring Home the Albion' ale a few seasons back. A family firm with a small number of staff, someof whom are Albion season ticket holders.

Yeah, I can see why you'd want to boycott them. :dunce:

Easy 10 said:
Pointless hitting local businesses ion the pocket over this - its no fault of theirs. And God help us if we're still frigging about with this next November.

At least they will know who to burn next year!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Silly idea. Would be better to wear your shirt while shopping there and get them to sign a petition and put up posters.

There's really NOTHING to be gained by any aggressive or pointed attitude directly towards Lewes businesses or their local council.

Look for the point of difference - we have approval from a higher quarter, and disapproval from the lower, local governing body.
It was to be expected, and you always knew that any inroads we made were likely to get attacked locally.
We can strengthen our case by getting support from Lewes constituents, while their own governing bodies are trying to attack the leap forward in a local sport facility which potentially will credit Sussex, the University, British business and finance, and health research and development.
Something might be done by taking a stance on preservation of local beauty and nature being encouraged by the existence of a profitable concern in the area - the one helping to bolster the other.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms said:
That'll be the same Harveys who supported our cause with their 'Bring Home the Albion' ale a few seasons back. A family firm with a small number of staff, someof whom are Albion season ticket holders.

Yeah, I can see why you'd want to boycott them. :dunce:
Is that the same Harvey's who sponsored us for two polypins (72 pints) of real ale at a Forty Notes Quiz Night?

Dandyman

In London village.
ATFC Seagull said:
This is a ridiculous idea. Lewes is a hotbed for real Albion support, and as well as that the majority of people who don't follow the Albion would still like to see them succeed.

LDC are a bunch of middle-class tossers who don't even slightly represent the majority of the town, the turnout in elections is absolutely shocking, I for one an quite politically aware but know little about its members or administration.

You only have to look at their absolute contempt and lack of support for their own football club, which at the moment is enjoying unprecedented success, but is ultimately being held back because of a completely unaccomodating council.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyone who has been along to the Dripping Pan, will know that the Rooks regard the Seagulls as close freinds and neighbours.

There are many Albion supporters in the LDC area (which is bigger than just the County town) and the right tack, IMO, is to attack the irresponsible use of public money by the LDC cabinet rather than local people.

p.s. the Bonfire Societies could not give a f*** if people from outside Lewes do not turn up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here