Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Station

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Many thanks to the station for your sterling work on Saturday. We arrived on a train at Lewes after the match. the announcer said we had 4 minutes to get the London train which would be held for us. We hurried over the bridge getting to said platform 2 minutes later, to watch the connecting train pull out empty.

thanks for nothing, really did not enjoy the 30 minutes waiting on the platform

Next time Mr Station master , you may not like the mass charge across the station

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
... and while we're about it... the train from Worthing arrived at Brighton at 12:11, while the train for Falmer left at 12:10. Is it really beyond human intelligence to have a joined-up timetable? OK, - in this case waiting for the next train is no great hardship - other than the queue for Dicks Bar would be longer - but the railways seem to be run for the benefit of the timetable rather than for the benefit of its passengers.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
DAMN D: Sorry to hear that...

Largely i thought the travel around the stadium was improved yesterday. It wasn't trains that a dealt with, but post match the coach park was sorted. What time did you get back in the end?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
... and while we're about it... the train from Worthing arrived at Brighton at 12:11, while the train for Falmer left at 12:10. Is it really beyond human intelligence to have a joined-up timetable? OK, - in this case waiting for the next train is no great hardship - other than the queue for Dicks Bar would be longer - but the railways seem to be run for the benefit of the timetable rather than for the benefit of its passengers.

Same thing happened an hour later!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Same thing happened an hour later!

I used to go out with a girl whose father did the timetabling for the Southern Region. He often brought his work home with him so she could help him work out what to do, as it was completely beyond his desperately limited mathmatical ability

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just to balance this up - I thought the transport after the game was brilliant. Stayed for one swift pint then ambled up to the Mithras P&R queue. Waited less than five minutes for a bus which whipped through the now thankfully turned off traffic lights and down the Lewes Road. Superb.

Definitely my routine now will be to stay for a pint post-match, watch the other scores and chat about the game then leave maybe half an hour after the final whistle.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
a similar thing happened on the way to the ground left HH on the 2.07 and as we were getting off the train on platform 1 and walking over to 4/5 the train to Falmer pulled out, fortunately there was another one 5 mins later so no great problem but would have thought that one would have waited for the other one to arrive.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Many thanks to the station for your sterling work on Saturday. We arrived on a train at Lewes after the match. the announcer said we had 4 minutes to get the London train which would be held for us. We hurried over the bridge getting to said platform 2 minutes later, to watch the connecting train pull out empty.

thanks for nothing, really did not enjoy the 30 minutes waiting on the platform

Next time Mr Station master , you may not like the mass charge across the station

Consider yourself lucky you even had an announcement. Every time that I've had to change at Lewes there hasn't been any announcment at all over the tannoy.
I've lost count of the number of times I've gone charging up the stairs and over to the platform for the Eastbourne train only to be told it's been changed again.

I was talking to one of the staff at Lewes station after the Sunderland game. He was saying that Southern have reduced the number of staff on duty at Lewes to the point where it is impossible for them to do everything that is expected of them. Missed connections may well be a consequence of this.

Having said that, though, I was extremely impressed after the Gillingham game that they did manage to hold a London-bound train (at about 10.40pm) to ensure that a lot of fans coming from Falmer DID manage to catch it.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I have had trouble with Lewes train station staff, others I know have too. I once ran for a train (I was cutting it very fine admittedly), the bloke looked at me and whistled the train away anyway. His mate then followed me around for 20 minutes for fear I would use my train specific ticket to get on the next train. A mate of mine had something similar- there in good time, he was wheeling his bike along to the guard carriage bit, the bloke let the train go before he could get there. There is a jobsworth at work here, sadly.

I must say I am happy with the Amex travelling arrangements. The vouchers mean I can come by bus and return (to Lewes) by train which normal ticketing wouldn't allow.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Consider yourself lucky you even had an announcement. Every time that I've had to change at Lewes there hasn't been any announcment at all over the tannoy.
I've lost count of the number of times I've gone charging up the stairs and over to the platform for the Eastbourne train only to be told it's been changed again.

It was precisely because of the announcement I was peeved. 4 minutes was plenty of time, so no running required. Conductor leaning out of train watching us come down steps did not amuse me.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I was talking to one of the staff at Lewes station after the Sunderland game. He was saying that Southern have reduced the number of staff on duty at Lewes to the point where it is impossible for them to do everything that is expected of them. Missed connections may well be a consequence of this.

Having said that, though, I was extremely impressed after the Gillingham game that they did manage to hold a London-bound train (at about 10.40pm) to ensure that a lot of fans coming from Falmer DID manage to catch it.

Every problem that has ever existed in any organisation that is or ever was part of the public sector is apparently down to a shortage of staff.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
A few years ago the west and east coastway services were aligned so that they did connect properly. This then changed so that (I believe) the Brighton to Seaford service now connects with the London to Hastings services now that there are no direct trains from London to Newhave / Seaford.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
A few years ago the west and east coastway services were aligned so that they did connect properly. This then changed so that (I believe) the Brighton to Seaford service now connects with the London to Hastings services now that there are no direct trains from London to Newhave / Seaford.

NERDISH Reply alert!!
Not sure that is true. The Brighton to Seaford service and the reverse have always connected with the Hastings/Eastbourne to and from Victoria. To Victoria the Seaford service gets in first, then they switch the points to allow the Eastbourne to Victoria service access and the service from Victoria to Eastbourne/Hastings train arrives first whilst the Brighton to Seaford train waits until the Eastbourne train has left and the points are switched. This has been going on AFAIR since the 1950's!

Finally there is one direct train Seaford to Victoria in the morning and one back in the evening. ( OK it joins up with an Eastbourne train at Lewes and vice versa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here