Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire

Stendahl

May 5, 2004
Just popping home but must congratulate Commercial Square for their effigy at the head of the Grand Procession through Lewes tonight:

A 30ft tall footballer
in Hull City colours
sponsored by 'The Swan'
on the back name JAGGS
No.2

in his right hand throttling a huge seagull wearing the stripes

paraded past Lewes DC Offices in the High St and ceremoniously destroyed by massive bangers at the fire-site.

I have to say - Marvellous Scenes.

Popping out now,

It was indeed a superb sight. I saw it early in the evening, being towed slowly up School Hill, past Norman Baker's flat. He was in there and I trust that he saw it clearly.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My wife was in the Commercial Square parade with my daughter, just behind it and they said the tableaux was superb.

What made it better was that the crowd were chanting "Seagulls" as it went past in the Grand Procession

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Didn't see that.

What was the significance of the journalist on the back of a Ram that Cliffe were parading to their firesite?

Bluejuice said:
Didn't see that.

What was the significance of the journalist on the back of a Ram that Cliffe were parading to their firesite?
That was the despised Giles Dilnot, the BBC South East reporter, whose disgraceful handling of a story fed to him by a disgruntled local resident led to the Home Secretary instructing the Chief Constable of Sussex to ensure that twelve members of Firle Bonfire Society were arrested last year.

As a member of Firle Bonfire Society (whose badge is a ram), I was delighted to see the public display of support that we got from the Cliffe last night. As well as the tableau, they lampooned "The Cowardly Lioness of Firle" as one of the Enemies of Bonfire.

Between the two of them, Dilnot and the cowardly lioness have made life hell for a lot of people out here, and the two of them deserve the contempt of the wider bonfire community that was displayed yesterday.

It isn't widely known that the cowardly lioness withdrew her complaint within days of making it and that most of the trouble that innocent people were put through derived from Dilnot and his colleagues stirring up the traveller community, none of whom were witnesses to what really happened.

Curiously, the BBC website story about this year's Lewes bonfire night seems to have failed to notice that Dilnot and his doings were the subject of the Cliffe tableau last night.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I have loads of pics of the procession, including the firle lot with their banner.

post-9-1099769794.jpg

Hope i've not broken any forum rules by posting this :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here