Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's have a heated debate - Public Smoking Ban

Do you support the proposed ban on smoking?

• Ban it - I'm a smoker

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Don't ban it - I'm a smoker

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Ban it - I don't smoke

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Don't ban it - I don't smoke

Votes: 16 24.2%

• Total voters

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Soton Seagull said:
Certainly do. Smokers have a choice of whether they smoke or not. It would be nice if the rest of us had that choice!

Oxymoron ? A ban denies a smoker the choice.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm a non-smoker so hows my "need a light?" chat up line gonna work now if the girls cant smoke in bars/clubs?!?!

Yes I do carry around a BHA Lighter with me before you say anything*

* I am of course JOKING before you think I'm mad, oh.....you do anyway, furry muff!

Seriously I dont think they should, alot of my mates smoke so the pub will become lonely without them! But I do agree non-smokers should have a choice aswell so I sort of contradict myself there abit!

I'm not worried about inhailing smoke, the day I start to worry about cancer is th day I start to worry about nuclear bombs/other forms of cancer not linked to smoking/aids/deadly diseases/coldplay becoming my favourite band!
Lifes too short for me to worry and work myself into depression about possibly dying because some old boys smoking a pipe next to me at the bar!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Landlords of pubs should be given the choice to allow people to smoke or not then people can decide whether tehy want to go to the pub or not.

That, DKM, is a FACT.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Banning it in restaurants, fair enough. They're exclusively in the business of selling food, and people should be capable of going a few hours without a fag to enable a clear atmosphere within a food environment.

This proposal of banning smoking in pubs that sell food is bollocks though. If you are going out for a pub lunch and the pub is too smokey, then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Its not difficult. Pubs are places where people go for a drink and a ciggie, and to unwind. They are not primarily eating establishments. There are PLENTY of alternatives to pubs if you are out for something to eat, so if smoke really does bother you, then go and eat somewhere else for christs sake.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
i think its difficult. its not just cancer that people should be worried about its heard disease and asthma. i dont think an all out ban should be considered. i do agree with restuarants, but maybe pubs should have some non smoking sections so that if you want a break or you go down the pub and dont want so stink like an ashtray then you have the choice.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Smoke never really bothered me until last year. Now, into 4th year of not smoking (this attempt) and I am seriously affected by it.

I say ban it simply from a purely selfish, health related standpoint.You want to smoke? No problem-but please do it where my chest doesn't burn with every breath because of it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im a non smoker, and lets face it smoking will be banned in public places.
However it dosent stop me going to the pub for a pint, im happy to to take the risk of enhaling smoke for a couple of hours every once in a while.

It will be nice not to stink of smoke when i get home though !

There are people who dont go to the pub though because of it, my wife being one, does her asthma no good at all.

Last edited:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Ban smoking in all public places inside and out. Sick of smokers complaining about their rights to smoke when it should be my right to be able to go anywhere i want without that cancerous stench infecting my lungs.

If you don't know what effects smoking has on yourself and your surroundings by now then you are selfish.

Do it in your own home, nowhere else.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Landlords of pubs should be given the choice to allow people to smoke or not then people can decide whether tehy want to go to the pub or not.
EXACTLY.
It can be clearly displayed outside each pub whether it is a smoking establishment or not. Then non-smokers can decide to give it a wide berth if smoke bothers them, while smokers can make a beeline for it if they want a fag with their pint.

That way EVERYONE has a choice. Simple, innit.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How is this proposed ban going to work though? One of my favourite Sunday pubs - The Hannover in Queens Park Road - does an excellent sunday roast. It does however, already have a non-smoking section, and smoking is not allowed at the bar. Does the propsed ban mean that as a food serving establishment it has to introduce a blanket ban?

Incidentally, the smoking area is twice the size of the non-smoking area, and generally more populated as well.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Please ban it at railway stations if nowhere else. And that includes the platforms after you get a off a train you selfish tossers - Can't you just wait 2 extra minutes until you get outside!!??!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Was a smoker for fifteen years but never smoked in a public place. Should be banned.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Banning it in restaurants, fair enough. They're exclusively in the business of selling food, and people should be capable of going a few hours without a fag to enable a clear atmosphere within a food environment.

This proposal of banning smoking in pubs that sell food is bollocks though. If you are going out for a pub lunch and the pub is too smokey, then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Its not difficult. Pubs are places where people go for a drink and a ciggie, and to unwind. They are not primarily eating establishments. There are PLENTY of alternatives to pubs if you are out for something to eat, so if smoke really does bother you, then go and eat somewhere else for christs sake.

Shouldn't that be "If not having a cigarette bothers you that much GO SOMEWHERE ELSE"? I'm not moralising here-it's a fact that the effects of passive smoking are worse than originally thought and I can vouch for that. I used to smoke 2 packs of Marlboro a day, quit nearly 4 years ago and now I can't breathe when cigarette smoke is around me.

It is the smoker who should be inconvenienced-not non smokers. Want to smoke?-YOU go outside in the cold, rain, snow, etc. Want to smoke and drink? Do it at home please- that way my clothes don't smell like a frigging ash tray for days afterwards.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Bwian said:
Shouldn't that be "If not having a cigarette bothers you that much GO SOMEWHERE ELSE"? I'm not moralising here-it's a fact that the effects of passive smoking are worse than originally thought and I can vouch for that. I used to smoke 2 packs of Marlboro a day, quit nearly 4 years ago and now I can't breathe when cigarette smoke is around me.

It is the smoker who should be inconvenienced-not non smokers. Want to smoke?-YOU go outside in the cold, rain, snow, etc. Want to smoke and drink? Do it at home please- that way my clothes don't smell like a frigging ash tray for days afterwards.
here here.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It doesn't make any difference what we think. It's going to happen anyway and I'm going to be sooooooooooo happy :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here