Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon's Penalty Decision

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just watched it on SKY, recorded it and played it back a few times in slo-mo.

Honestly I've watched it over and over again and its a VERY, VERY harsh decision.

Defender gets to the ball well before knight, and clears the ball away.

Knight momentum throws him into the player on the ground and he falls over his knees (Knight even seems to try and jump over the player)

The player has not moved nor made any attempt to trip Knight over.

Could be seen as a "late tackle" by Knight in may respects.

At full speed looks a nailed on penalty. But played at a slightly slower speed you can see what Knight has done. I don't think Knight dived though.

The referee could not have been in a better position. I thought from behind the goal that the defender had caught him as he was running past. That didn't happen.

Anyway - great taken penalty by Leon.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we had a clear cut penalty in the first half so alls well that ends well.

I did think we were lucky to get it but that's life.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You win some, you lose some.

When Nicholas was brought down we should have had a penalty and the ref bottled it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i thought it was a pen when saw it however to be honest couldnt give a fcuk if it was not- we had no luck last time in this league and we deserve some this time

gfconline

Feb 11, 2004
Pikeyville
I havn't seen it yet but from my view (far away though) it looked like Hope won the tackle and then about a second later Knight fell over him while he was still on the floor.

P.S I'm not a biased person but if you are talking about the claim in the first half that wasn't a penalty in a million years, the ref was about 5 yards away.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
Just seen it on Sky, and was harsh, but I thought the one in the first half definitely was, so these things do even out, and wasn't the Plymouth penalty and Harding being sent off harsh too.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Definate penalty, the ref gave it. They're never wrong, are they? ???

Makes up for the one he didn't give.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I didn't think it was a penalty but as the Nicolas one wasn't given it is all swings and roundabouts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
kinkygerbil said:
i thought it was a pen when saw it however to be honest couldnt give a fcuk if it was not- we had no luck last time in this league and we deserve some this time

What he said.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yorkie said:
You win some, you lose some.

When Nicholas was brought down we should have had a penalty and the ref bottled it.

In what way did the ref bottle it?

Refs 'bottle it' when they don't want to give a penalty against the home team. When refs do this they don't subsequently give a penalty that might not have been later in the game.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Just watched it and am not convinced it was a pentaly. But we are overdue some luck and Leon took it well. Lets hope it kick-starts his season and he gets a couple more on Wednesday.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
even if it wasnt a pen, we should have had one in first half and their keeper should have been sent off. he was clean through.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
when i saw it yesterday i did'nt think it was a penalty but who cares anyway 3 points cheers ref

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Who cares.................happens every season......3 points for us none for the Gills.....Job Done!:D

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Win some, lose some!

The pen we SHOULD have had at Reading was much more clear cut!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bozza said:
In what way did the ref bottle it?

Refs 'bottle it' when they don't want to give a penalty against the home team. When refs do this they don't subsequently give a penalty that might not have been later in the game.

I wasn't saying that Leon got a penalty because we didn't get the penalty in the first half.

I said the ref bottled the Nicholas foul because he didn't want to give a penalty against the home team.

We should have had two IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here