Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds United: Parker linked with Seagulls = from Yorkshire Post

Leeds United: Parker linked with Seagulls

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENTPublished Date: 05 January 2009
By Phil Hay
Brighton are considering a transfer window bid for Leeds United defender Ben Parker.
The Sussex club are understood to have identified Parker as a possible candidate for the left-back position at the Withdean Stadium after Matt Richards' loan from Ipswich Town to Brighton concluded on Saturday.

Richards has been on loan with Albion since the start of the season and the Seagulls are interested in signing the 24-year-old permanently, but they may switch their attention to Parker if they fail to reach a deal with their current left-back.

Parker has made 13 appearances for Leeds this season and has worked his way back into contention at Elland Road after finishing last term on loan with League Two side Darlington, but he is part of an intense three-way fight for inclusion on the left side of United's defence.

Alan Sheehan is presently in possession of the left-back role, having started both of Simon Grayson's two matches as Leeds manager, and the emergence of 17-year-old Aidan White from the club's academy has increased the competition for that position.

White recently secured a long-term deal with United and is considered to be one of the club's most promising youngsters, and Parker has featured in just eight of Leeds' 23 league fixtures since August.

The 21-year-old is keen to establish himself in United's long-term plans, but he has shown a willingness to depart Elland Road in search of first-team football before, completing long spells on loan at both Darlington and Bradford City.

He has amassed a total of 83 senior appearances – 28 of those coming in a Leeds shirt – and he agreed a new two-year contract at Elland Road towards the end of 2007.

A bid for Parker, however, looks likely to depend on the outcome of Albion's negotiations with Richards, with the Ipswich defender's personal terms believed to be a possible complication.

Manchester City, meanwhile, are the latest club to be linked with United's England Under-21 international Fabian Delph.

The Premier League side are rumoured to be seriously interested in signing the talented midfielder, who has risen to prominence at Elland Road this season.

Leeds have stated repeatedly that they have no plans to sell Delph, pictured above, who accepted a four-year contract with the club earlier in the season.

United boss Grayson recently admitted that he was confident the
19-year-old would remain with his squad beyond the end of the January transfer window.

The full article contains 425 words and appears in EP Leeds First & County newspaper.Page 1 of 1

Last Updated: 05 January 2009 7:54 AM
Source: EP Leeds First & County

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So, he's a 3rd choice left back from a team wo are mid-table of the 3rd division. I may not get too excited then.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So, he's a 3rd choice left back from a team wo are mid-table of the 3rd division. I may not get too excited then.

so is Bradley Johnson and it looks like we are trying to sign him and I seem to remember BZ being in drizzles second string and he turned out reasonably OK

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But that's fine really. I'm not expecting to get excited about any of signings because we haven't got the money. All I expect is NOT to be pissed off by the signings of past it players are those who haven't cut the mustard while here on loan.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Mickey once signed a 3rd choice young striker from a 3rd division team which probably at first didn't excite. Wait till you see them and then decide.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Played 13 games for them this season alone, which is over half the league games. He can't be THAT bad.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wait till you see them and then decide.

I'm not saying he's rubbish, I'm just saying I won't get too excited yet.

As for Zamora, he may have been down the ranks at Brizzie Rovers, but he was behind some very good strikers there in Jamie Cureton and Nathan Ellington, who were banging them in for fun, as they say.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
so is Bradley Johnson and it looks like we are trying to sign him and I seem to remember BZ being in drizzles second string and he turned out reasonably OK

Bradley - not all that impressed with him to be honest.

Zamora - can we all get past this expectation that any signing could be the next Bobby Zamora, as that will only lead to a lot of disappointments. It feels like the wait for the "next Ian Botham", in which case we have to plough through a lot of David Capels before we hopefully stumble across a Freddie Flintoff about 15 years later.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bradley - not all that impressed with him to be honest.

Zamora - can we all get past this expectation that any signing could be the next Bobby Zamora, as that will only lead to a lot of disappointments. It feels like the wait for the "next Ian Botham", in which case we have to plough through a lot of David Capels before we hopefully stumble across a Freddie Flintoff about 15 years later.

I'll see your David Capel and raise you a Ronny Irani :)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'll see your David Capel and raise you a Ronny Irani :)

The failed drug smuggler, Chris Lewis. Even when he had to carry a bag of powder through customs, he served up another poor delivery.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
or any one of the assorted bowlers who had one or two good innings and thought they could bat at 7 or even 6... step forward Derek Pringle, Darren Gough, Chris Lewis, Phil de Freitas...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
See you and raise you Martin McCague

LOL, I know we've got carried away, but I'll chuck my chips down to see that hand. There is no way we ever claimed McCague was the new Ian Botham, or an all-rounder in anyway except his physique.

*doubts himself already, as we did get carried away with the all-rounder tag at times*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Zamora - can we all get past this expectation that any signing could be the next Bobby Zamora, as that will only lead to a lot of disappointments.
Is the correct answer.
Unless there is someone glaringly obvious I've forgotten, BZ was the next Peter Ward.
That's roughly a 25 year gap, therefore we have a good 20 years to wait befoe the next comes along.
Which seems relatively fair, as we are not (luckily) Crewe fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here