Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

leeds relegation flowers.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Leeds are the biggest victims of the fallout from the boom years of three or four seasons ago, because they were the biggest culprits at sticking their noses in its trough.

They borrowed huge sums against the projection that they'd be swimming in European Cup money season after season, and entered in expensive leases of players and so on - a financial house of cards. As soon as that money started to not materialise, the spiral got steeper and steeper and the whole lot came tumbling down. To that extent you have to blame Peter Ridsdale, for gambling that the boom was just going to go on and on for Leeds, and getting it horribly wrong.

Once they started having to sell their best players, and talk of liquidation/takeovers became the norm, there was little chance of the club avoiding the drop. Even Alan Smith, for all his tears and heart-on-sleeve "I fookin love this club" passion has only scored 8 times this season (I think) - hardly enough to merit excusing him and his colleagues from some blame too.

What's critical now is whether they have to declare bankruptcy in order to regroup, like Leicester did. Unlike Leicester, they won't get away with it and wll be deducted 10 pts from next season. That, plus a wholesale exodus of players, could see them struggle to stay up in Division One next year too.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
Hands up all those who cried when the Goldstone closed.... following football is emotional - IMHO it's ok to cry - though I can't say I ever have - apart from when Hearts came to Boghead in 1983 - I was ten! ???

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
SM BHAFC said:
On the point of fans taking things a little too seriously, when did grown men start to cry at football matches because they lost?Now I never saw it before about 1990 and maybe Gazza is to blame, personally whatever happens at a football match it is not something to cry over do these people have no shame.

At the present time there are real tragedy's happening all over world and some stupid twat is crying because his team got relegated, ahhh poor little diddums, f***ing grow up you twat. Children can cry at footy but over the age of 8-9 you should know better.
Totally agree. And it's not as if they're weedy little sensitve types either, some of those blubbing Leeds fans were built like brick outhouses.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
jmc - that was different! All that Leeds fans are blubbing about was the fact they've fallen off the gravy train.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
or maybe it was the relisation they might have to come to withdean next year?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
edna krabappel said:
Sorry, my mistake. Now I think of it, they were the underdogs in their FA Cup semi final against Coventry (didn't Micky Adams play for one of them?) so they must have been the lower league side.

Did they get relegated via a play off? When the play offs were first introduced, teams could be relegated as well as promoted, but the FA scrapped it as it was considered too tense and the potential for violence too great. I'm sure a "big" club went down in this way- Leeds or Chelsea maybe?

Someone remind me!

Leeds were relegated in 1981/1982 season. They lost their last game to West Brom and their supporters celebrated by trashing the Hawthorns. They'd finished 9th the previous season and had been in the UEFA cup. I think we nearly relegated them at Elland Road but, thankfully for any Albion fans who travelled up there, they scored two late goals and had to wait until the following week.
Chelsea were relegated in 1987/1988 season when they lost a promotion/relegation play-off with Middlesbrough at Stamford Bridge. 1-0 on the day, 3-0 on aggregate. Chelsea supporters "celebrated" this by having a riot, which was the fashion at the time. Eye-opening seeing the teams that went down with Chelsea; Portsmouth, Watford and Oxford United! The FA didn't bother with the relegation part of the play-offs after that game.
Leeds weren't exactly great during their time in the 2nd Division. They once finished 14th (3 places below us and 8 places below Hull City!) and spent most of their time finishing about 10th. I think their fans should get used to finishes like that for a few seasons to come because I can't see them strolling to the title.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Referee87 said:
I am so glad they went down. hopefully well play them next year.

I've been to a few Albion Leeds games at the Goldstone . . . .not a particularly pleasant experiance having SS hatted boneheads throwing lumps of east terrace at you :eek:

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Gullet said:
If we play Leeds next season it will be Leeds in name alone, there wont be any of their "stars" left. I can feel another Derby County coming on.
What I'd like to know is which lucky club is going to get their hands on that great up and coming talent Jamie Milner. In my opinion a real superstar in the making.

If whats to be believed comming out of Elland Road he is about the only one stayning. Bet he will have to run a lot more. Bit unfair 1 against 11 tho.

Last edited:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
zefarelly said:
I've been to a few Albion Leeds games at the Goldstone . . . .not a particularly pleasant experiance having SS hatted boneheads throwing lumps of east terrace at you :eek:

Here here. I was chased by about 50 or so Leeds fans at The Goldstone but managed to hide in someone's front garden. I was about 14. Very brave. Shame as before that I always had a soft spot for them (probably due to the fact that my Nan supported them). I remember this twat in just shorts, trainers and a beret(?) in the middle of winter swaggering through the tunnel singing typical Leeds xenephobic rants and trying to punch anyone in his reach. The time they did the big pitch invasion one lunatic even punched one of the police horses in the mouth. Do we realy want people like that at Leafy Withdean. I think not.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Only seems like a few weeks back (15yrs I think) when we threw a 1-0 lead away with an og against Leeds at the Soldstone a week before aforementioned Bournemouth game. The fanzine of choice at the time 'ASMS' ran a pic of Leeds fans under the headline 'GOOD RIDDANCE' if me mammory serves.

Dandyman

In London village.
edna krabappel said:
Leeds have been relegated before in my memory, at the end of the 1980s, so it's hardly a unique event.

They were promoted back up the following season, with the likes of Vinny Jones and Lee "Mind that bedside table love" Chapman.

That was the year their supposedly great and loyal fans trashed Bournemouth the day they clinched the title. Thus ensuring no seaside clubs were allowed to play at home on a Bank Holiday for about ten years afterwards.

Morons.

I seem to remember one of the Albion fanzines at the time celebrating their promotion on the grounds that we would be spared any more encounters with their sumbag supporters.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Leeds were relegated in 1981/1982 season. They lost their last game to West Brom and their supporters celebrated by trashing the Hawthorns. They'd finished 9th the previous season and had been in the UEFA cup. I think we nearly relegated them at Elland Road but, thankfully for any Albion fans who travelled up there, they scored two late goals and had to wait until the following week.
Chelsea were relegated in 1987/1988 season when they lost a promotion/relegation play-off with Middlesbrough at Stamford Bridge. 1-0 on the day, 3-0 on aggregate. Chelsea supporters "celebrated" this by having a riot, which was the fashion at the time. Eye-opening seeing the teams that went down with Chelsea; Portsmouth, Watford and Oxford United! The FA didn't bother with the relegation part of the play-offs after that game.
Leeds weren't exactly great during their time in the 2nd Division. They once finished 14th (3 places below us and 8 places below Hull City!) and spent most of their time finishing about 10th. I think their fans should get used to finishes like that for a few seasons to come because I can't see them strolling to the title.

I knew someone on here would have an encyclopaedic memory!

I have a feeling the trouble at Chelsea sparked Chairman Bates' attempts to introduce electric fencing around grounds.

Luton also banned away fans and there was the issue with Thatcher's ID cards for football supporters, thankfully binned.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
jmc said:
Hands up all those who cried when the Goldstone closed.... following football is emotional - IMHO it's ok to cry - though I can't say I ever have - apart from when Hearts came to Boghead in 1983 - I was ten! ???

Gorgie Aggro!!!

I saw a lot of grown men crying the day we lost the league to Celtic at Dens Park. Mind you the feeling of loss was pretty acute that day. We had been top of the league from October and had lost two goals in the last 7 minutes of the game to allow those thieving gypsy bastards at Celtic to nick it.

If Tynecastle goes the same way as the Goldstone at the end of next season there will be plenty of tears.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The end of that 1989/1990 season was a bit eventful. We played West Brom in April when we both really needed the points to stave off relegation (lost 3-0), then played Pompey away (lost 3-0) before that game against Leeds. Drew that 2-2, beat Oxford away to stay up and then played Stoke in the last home game of the season. They had already been relegated and hadn't won an away game all season.
Stoke won 4-1 and launched pitch invasions after the goals and the end of the game. You can read a Stoke account of that in a Stoke hooligan book that's out. I had a flick through it in Borders last week and it jogged some of my memory banks about that day. Not the "offs" (I was only 10) but the pitch invasions and the Stoke fans fancy dress.
Crazy Childhood Goldstone days.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
The end of that 1989/1990 season was a bit eventful. We played West Brom in April when we both really needed the points to stave off relegation (lost 3-0), then played Pompey away (lost 3-0) before that game against Leeds. Drew that 2-2, beat Oxford away to stay up and then played Stoke in the last home game of the season. They had already been relegated and hadn't won an away game all season.
Stoke won 4-1 and launched pitch invasions after the goals and the end of the game. You can read a Stoke account of that in a Stoke hooligan book that's out. I had a flick through it in Borders last week and it jogged some of my memory banks about that day. Not the "offs" (I was only 10) but the pitch invasions and the Stoke fans fancy dress.
Crazy Childhood Goldstone days.

I remember that game- I'd have been about 12 I think. We were moved from our usual East Terrace North spot to accommodate the Stoke fans, who I believe wore beach gear for the occasion. It was a nice day in the sunshine, or so I planned it.

Predictably, for a team that had already gone down, Stoke absolutely caned us on the pitch and were laughing their heads off at our ineptitude. Bit like the Wendys winning 7-1 at Burnley last year, once the pressure was off, they performed.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
graz126 said:
why are leeds fans laying flowers at elland rd? the club have been relegated not put out of existance.

and living in yorkshire and knowing a lot of leeds fans i find it strange that they are so arrogant to actually think that everybody is upset by their relegation.

where the truth is that everybody is chuffed to bits with it. mainly because they are so arrogant.:lolol:
so nice to see a lot of their fans crying on yorkshire tv. makes great veiwing.:clap2:

He he

I knew I moved too soon. There were at least 3 or 4 faces I would love to have seen this week.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
A word of advice for next season because you will need it - Elland Road is a bloody dirty place

Last edited:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
edna krabappel said:
I knew someone on here would have an encyclopaedic memory!

I have a feeling the trouble at Chelsea sparked Chairman Bates' attempts to introduce electric fencing around grounds.

Luton also banned away fans and there was the issue with Thatcher's ID cards for football supporters, thankfully binned.

I have a photographic memory. I can remember a lot of stuff. I can seem to be able to remember stuff by reading books. I know all that by reading stuff. So I am not the only one with a good memory on here.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
CAFC Matt said:
A word of advice for next season because you will need it - Elland Road is a bloody dirty place

I used to work just around the corner.

I have been there nearly as many times as I used to go to the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here