Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds at the AMEX - kid friendly?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
As it’ll be a Friday night, I was thinking of taking my eight-year-old boy to his first Amex match when we play Leeds.

My season tickets are in Block B WSL but I’m wondering if I’m making a mistake taking him to this one.

Don’t want to put him off as he’s still not that bothered about footy but I’m hoping a proper game in a proper stadium will do the trick.

I think I’m tainted with the memory of those Leeds bank holiday bust ups.

Any other parents have a view?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My boys will be there, aged 13 and 10, albeit in the family stand.

Unless he's a particularly timid / sensitive lad, I'd say go for it, for sure. There won't be any actual trouble - you just need to gauge whether you think he'll be intimidated by the atmosphere.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The atmosphere will be top drawer at the game, and I really don't think there will be any trouble at the ground. I'd say go for it :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It will be fine. Just don't take him drinking in the pubs around Brighton station before or after. In fact, you probably shouldn't take him drinking anywhere if he is only 8.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We pick our minibus up from the car park behind the South. My 12 and 9 year olds are looking forward to wading through the massed ranks of Yorkshire's finest - the mad fools! I will be hiding behind them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Take him. Games under floodlights are always magical, more so if the match is a decent encounter with a big crowd.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Take him. Games under floodlights are always magical, more so if the match is a decent encounter with a big crowd.

That's what I was thinking.

Thanks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They're opening up the bars in the concourses after the games (including Leeds and Palace) to all fans.

I know that's not a kids' thing of course, but it's indicative of the club's attitude to opposing fans at the matches at the Amex - and this one in particular.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Madness.

I didn't think they were doing it for Palace?

From memory he stated that him and Sussex Police wanted to welcome all away supporters to the Amex and rather than corralling them, encourage them to use the Amex facilities freely including mixing with the home fans in the concourses post match with groups of two or three PC's stationed along the concourse keeping an observant watch. His theory was if you treat them like adults they will behave like adults and if a couple (either home or way) get out of order then they will be cracked down upon by their own. When questioned if this included the 'potential' troublemakers, Leeds, Palace, West Ham, Millwall etc he emphasised, 'all teams'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They're opening up the bars in the concourses after the games (including Leeds and Palace) to all fans.

I know that's not a kids' thing of course, but it's indicative of the club's attitude to opposing fans at the matches at the Amex - and this one in particular.

good, really hope this works. we could lead the way in how to deal with the old hoolie problems, just semi-ignore it and let the grown ups enjoy the game and banter. who knows, in a few decades time we might be allowed to take beer on to the terraces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here