Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC and the Nimby's are winning the PR campaign

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I went to meet the other halves relatives in Tunbridge Wells yesterday.

Right at the start after I mentioned I was a BHAFC season ticket holder he said

" the stadium approval has been kicked out hasn't it "

I said well its been delayed and its been 8 years so far so I few more months will make no difference.

He then said

" yes but its going to ruin the lovely downland around there isn't it " biting my tongue I asked what he meant.

" the scenary around there in all the reports looks lovely and the stadium will ruin it ".

What they meant was the downland looking away from the proposed stadium and dual carriageway which is always shown in the LDC and South Today shots. When I pointed out the field was next to a 100 yard double dual carriageway, railway line and next to a massive 60's block university campus he was shocked. He had no idea that this was the case.

Whilst our campaign has been based on facts and finding the best available solution LDC and Falmer Parish/Nimby's has been based on blatant lies, mis truths and scare mongering :angry: and its making me fecking mad now.

Their lies are working. Why should anyone who is not an Albion supporter question their lies and doctured photo's. As it turned out he was a lovely fella but it just proved to me THE GLOVES NEED TO COME OFF, WE HAVE BEEN TOO NICE, THEIR LIES ARE WINNING AND WE NEED TO MAKE LIFE DIFFICULT FOR THEM AND NOW. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks mate. :smokin:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Been saying for months on this 'ere board that we are losing the PR war. Glad someone else thinks so. Even folk in Seaford think a stadium near Falmer will ruin the South Downs because they have been told by Lewes DC it will and don't actually realise where the site is.

And as for the people who matter not being influenced, Ruth Kelly, the well known nimby..........I'll believe it when she says yes to us and not to Lewes.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
The Large One said:
'Well-known NIMBY'? Please explain.

According to the Daily Telegraph

"Ruth Kelly, in her first speech as Communities and Local Government Secretary, declared war on Nimbys, complaining that plans to build thousands of affordable new homes were being thwarted by people "too protective of their own space".

But while Kelly, who was later exposed as having battled new housing developments in her own Bolton constituency,"

And from a different article in the Telegraph

"The decision follows complaints that Miss Kelly opposed developers in her Bolton constituency so often that she is regarded locally as something of a champion Nimby"

The decision referred to is Ms Kelly blocking the development of "affordable homes Plans to build a new school and 36 affordable homes attracted widespread support in High Bickington, £37,000 from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, and a £5,000 "Vital Villages" grant from the Countryside Agency.

The edict blocking the project was still dispatched from the Department for Communities and Local Government on Tuesday, the day Miss Kelly declared: "There is a need for more affordable homes and that is going to be a personal priority for me."

Amid High Bickington's thatched cottages, there was disbelief at the difference between what Miss Kelly says, and what her department did."

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
Plus this

Kelly exposed as champion Nimby
By Graeme Wilson and Nigel Bunyan
(Filed: 11/05/2006)

Ruth Kelly's crusade against middle-class "Nimbies" was in disarray last night after it emerged that she had opposed the building of hundreds of homes in her constituency.

The Communities and Local Government Secretary was accused of double standards after pledging this week to "root out" the Not-in-my-backyard - or Nimby - tendency to oppose new housing developments.

Miss Kelly complained that government plans to build thousands of low-cost homes were being frustrated because people were too "protective of their own space".

But her comments were greeted with incredulity in Bolton, where locals revealed that she had become notorious for objecting to new housing developments in her well-heeled constituency of Bolton West.

On one occasion, she even urged local residents to "savour this sweet victory over the developers" after blocking plans for 1,100 new homes in her constituency.

Margaret Rothwell, the chairman of Bolton council's planning committee, confessed that she had been flabbergasted by Miss Kelly's decision to declare war on the Nimbies.

The Liberal Democrat councillor said: "I've spent about six years on the planning committee and in my experience whenever a group of residents in her constituency object to a development in her patch, she always backs them."

Since her election to the Commons in 1997, Miss Kelly - who lives in a four-bedroom detached house that was built on a greenfield site - has routinely opposed developments in her own backyard.

• In March 2005 she supported residents who opposed plans to build a new Islamic College - along with accommodation for 200 boarding students - on a greenfield site in Westhoughton.

• In 2004 she supported residents in a successful campaign to stop 30 one- and two-bedroom flats in the Heaton area of Bolton.

• The year before, she played a leading role in blocking proposals for a five-storey apartment block in the same area.

• In 2002 she fought against plans to build new homes on the site of the Bellhouse Hartwell aerospace plant in Westhoughton.

• Two years earlier she celebrated with residents in the same area after they derailed plans to build 600 new homes.

• In 1999 she played a pivotal role in blocking proposals to build 1,100 new homes in Westhoughton.

John Walsh, who has been a member of Bolton's planning committee for 31 years, said: "I find her hypocrisy breathtaking.

"A short time ago she was supporting residents in their objections on the grounds that they were inappropriate for the area.

"Now, within days of her new appointment, she is saying she intends to bring in legislation to force through such developments."

Local people also voiced dismay. Roy Walmsley, a member of one local residents' association, said: "I am disappointed at the terms in which Miss Kelly has addressed herself.

"She has been supportive in the past, particularly over the protection of trees. To call us Nimbies now is most insulting."

The Conservatives accused Miss Kelly of double standards.

The shadow local government secretary, Caroline Spelman, said: "This is breathtaking hypocrisy from a minister who has repeatedly opposed development in her own constituency yet is happy to steamroller people's objections elsewhere."

However, a spokesman for Miss Kelly dismissed the criticism, arguing that it was perfectly reasonable for the minister to criticise Nimbies while objecting to developments in her own constituency.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well then, there's not a great deal to worry about. Now she's in government - in the cabinet, even - she has to follow government policy. As a backbencher, she wasn't so bound to it - now she is. And the government has already stated (albeit ham-fistedly) that Falmer can go ahead. There is nothing that Lewes District Council have challenged the government on that will make them change their minds.

That nonsense over 'built-up areas' is a technicality, not a point of policy-changing law. As regards the other 15 points, the Treasury Solicitor has (kind of) told them to blow it out of their arse. Lewes District Council are pissing into the wind if the think they can change the government's mind. They can't.

And lying (or winning the PR battle as you put it) isn't going to help them.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Perhaps if we went up and destroyed the nice looking bits of the Falmer area they would have no nice views to put in their photos. We could encourage a permanent travellers park on the surrounding fields. What do you think?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Gaffer,

Doesn't it mean, as a NIMBY, that she'll be happy for it to be built as long as it's not in her backyard. So, as long as LDC don't tell her it's being built in Bolton, she'll be all for it.:thumbsup:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
garry nelsons left foot said:
Gaffer,

Doesn't it mean, as a NIMBY, that she'll be happy for it to be built as long as it's not in her backyard. So, as long as LDC don't tell her it's being built in Bolton, she'll be all for it.:thumbsup:

I would like to think so GNLF but she may side with the nimbys down here who do not want to see such a nasty thing as a football stadium spoiling the South Downs.

No doubt I am talking rubbish. Nothing strange in that.:)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
Plain sailing is a tad optimistic. We will win, it's just a case of when, not if.

that is what we need, blind optimism

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
of course it is you cantankerous sod.

were doomed I tell ye!!!!

:wave: :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here