Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Layer Cake

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watched it last night, and thought it was excellent.

Another gangster brit-crime film, its a bit like a more serious Lock Stock. Its directed by Matthew Vaughn, who was the producer of L S & 2 S B. He's picked up some tricks from Guy Ritchie, as there's some stylish flourishes done with the camerawork, but (crucially) its not done to overkill. Daniel Craig is superb in the lead role as a successful cocaine dealer looking to retire, but gets lumbered with a couple of tricky final jobs by the boss. Well scripted, with some convincing characters and a fairly intricate plot, with loads of double-crosses and twists to keep track of.

Quality film, highly recommended. Even Brighton gets a mention.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trufflehound said:
And I thought this was going to be another thread about eclairs...
And I thought it was going to be a film about cake. Once I got over the initial disappointment though, I enjoyed it.

Film is a good adaptation of the book, but you will get a lot more out of the book Easy. Recommended.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Might give the book a whirl then Lokki, cheers. Film adaptations are nearly always inferior I suppose, and I gather elements of the book have been omitted from the screenplay. But as cockney crimeflicks go, this is definately up there with the best of them. I'll be looking out for more of Matthew Vaughn's stuff - for a directorial debut, it was impressive.

I think the Layer Cake is the first time ever that I've seen a film adaptation of a good book and still enjoyed it. Then again I am a miserable bastard so that could explain it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I quite enjoyed it especially the ending but couldn't get my head round the gangsters all being posh boys

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
And I thought it was going to be a film about cake.

I had the same thing with "Crocodile Dundee"...

:(

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Matthew Vaughan has got his hairy mitts on X Men 3. I really hated Layer Cake (Siena miller aside) but really hope he's got what it takes to make a film this BIG.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Loved the exchange on the mobile when Dragan, the Serbian assassin called out of the blue:

Mr X: "Look, can't we just be civilised about this and sort it out like adults ? How about I do us a nice cooked breakfast with fresh orange juice and we'll talk"
Dragan: "Yes, that sounds acceptable"
Mr X: "Do you know where I live....?"
Dragan: "No".
Mr X: "Well f*** off then"
*click*

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here