Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lay off mike ward!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
He is intitiled to his views I dont think there right ever but everyones going way ott, What with the get him he is a new fan stuff! With a new stadium were gonna need a few more new fans.

Rant over.

Now shut it!

Opps slipped out :jester:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I don't think it's entirely the new fan thing that people have a problem with.

But a "new fan" slagging off a rivalry with history is going to provoke others

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Withdean Wanderer said:
I don't think it's entirely the new fan thing that people have a problem with.

But a "new fan" slagging off a rivalry with history is going to provoke others

Fair point and when I read it I thought oh dear, thats gonna upset people but not like this, Sack him, He shouldn't be able to right it etc it just seems pethetic to me.

But plz dont everyone have a moan at me.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I went to that certain game at selhurst a few years back and the home game, i am also pleased to say i was there on the 18th, thats as far as my rivalry with palace goes back. I can definately see the point mike ward is trying to make, i hate reading, as do most but i just think he has such an almost unique opinion (palace not being rivals) that however good his argument is he was never going to get anything other than stick for the article:nono:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
sir danny cullip said:
I went to that certain game at selhurst a few years back and the home game, i am also pleased to say i was there on the 18th, thats as far as my rivalry with palace goes back. I can definately see the point mike ward is trying to make, i hate reading, as do most but i just think he has such an almost unique opinion (palace not being rivals) that however good his argument is he was never going to get anything other than stick for the article:nono:

Stick is fair enough but comparin him to archer and bellotti! Its ridiculas!:ohmy:

Yes I know its spelt wrong.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Drumstick said:
Stick is fair enough but comparin him to archer and bellotti! Its ridiculas!:ohmy:

Yes I know its spelt wrong.

a tutch of ironee peraps!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's this I find unsettling somehow...

"The sign of us thinking big will be when a victory like that becomes routine..."

Now that's very wrong, not only does it completely misunderstand the history and rivalry in this club, it completely misunderstands the history and rivalry withing British football fullstop.

But give the bloke a chance I think.. he's done a good job in promoting the Falmer cause on Talksport in particular.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
clapham_gull said:
It's this I find unsettling somehow...

"The sign of us thinking big will be when a victory like that becomes routine..."

Now that's very wrong, not only does it completely misunderstand the history and rivalry in this club, it completely misunderstands the history and rivalry withing British football fullstop.

I have to disagree with you there. Man U fans do not get worked up about playing City any more because they became so used to turning them over that it became routine. Whereas City fans are still obsessed with United. To a certain extent it is true with Spurs (who just want to beat Arsenal) and Arsenal (who see their rivals as Man U and Chel$ea). Or a bit like us and Orient!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
El Presidente said:
I have to disagree with you there. Man U fans do not get worked up about playing City any more because they became so used to turning them over that it became routine. Whereas City fans are still obsessed with United. To a certain extent it is true with Spurs (who just want to beat Arsenal) and Arsenal (who see their rivals as Man U and Chel$ea). Or a bit like us and Orient!

I'd have to disagree with you too. You can't dismiss the Manchester Derby.

My uncle is an Arsenal season ticket holder and still views Spurs as the "big one".

What about the Liverpool teams ?

A local Derby does it for me, whether its Villa Birmingham or Brighton Palace.

Ward seems to think it isn't really a Derby.. get your map out Mike

By the way, there are other examples of supporters getting more worked up about the opposing team than vice versa.

Its about geography....

The ONLY reason he doesn't get it is because we havent played each other much over the last few years and he hasn't been around. That's not a criticism, but Palace are our rivals. No-one else comes close.

That's the crux of it in my opinion. Give him a couple of years and he'll come round :lolol:

I think the abuse is over the top by the way... Maybe, just maybe it was a little bit of PR by the club to deflect from certain fan rivalries that have shown the club in a bad light recently.

Last edited:

Drumstick said:
What with the get him he is a new fan stuff!

New fans are good. New fans lecturing me on how to support my club, suggesting I am pathetic? Well they can take a jump. Particularly when they are paid with my programme proceeds.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Got too agree with Lokki here. I really don't care if Mike Ward wants to hate Reading or Cardiff, thats as pathetic as hating Orient (Please, who thought that one up?)

What I do object too, however, is reading an article in the offical mouthpiece of the club telling me and thousands of other Albion fans who we can and can't have as rivals.

Mike Ward or even the club, do not have the right to belittle our rivalries. What would you have thought if you were a Wovles fan reading that? It would've made us look pathetic would it not.

One last thing, if this was an attempt to lower tensions prior to Palace, it hasn't worked Mike, has it?
:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Lay off mike ward!

Lokki 7 said:
New fans are good. New fans lecturing me on how to support my club, suggesting I am pathetic? Well they can take a jump. Particularly when they are paid with my programme proceeds.

How long does it take for a new fan to become just a fan? Ward's only been supporting us through the glory years, does he need a few seasons of us being shite before he's a real fan???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He's a TWONK who had NO right to say what he did. Once we've got Falmer built and have been playing playing in it for a couple of years he'll probably f*** off to support someone else anyway.

jakeella

Jan 9, 2004
Mike Ward's comments are similar to a virgin saying " i don't like sex", you can't comment on something you have'nt experienced, when you have followed this club for at least 20 years, been to away games e.g Millwall away then you might get some respect, which you do not have Mike Ward, when you have walked the walk then you can comment. BHA are in my heart, who is this Mike Ward how come he is only following us now? Who did he support in his youth? To me he is plastic BHA our new prawn sandwich brigade, you need to shut up and learn.

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
'New Fan' ............. we have a lot of these Johnny Come-Latelys and they all have supported other clubs.

I can think of one who posts on this board who would fall in to this category, but I'm going to get criticised now for being Anti-club

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rusco said:
'New Fan' ............. we have a lot of these Johnny Come-Latelys and they all have supported other clubs.

I can think of one who posts on this board who would fall in to this category, but I'm going to get criticised now for being Anti-club

huddersfield, huddersfield huddersfield:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Rusco said:

Im sorry you cant run a size like Brighton with out some fans seeing Brighton as a second team - and to be honest if they fill Withdean does it matter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here