Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest on EDM 889

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
Off club site- New Falmer website- www.falmerforall.co.uk

Sussex Tory Backs Falmer
by Matthew James

A Sussex Conservative MP is backing Albion’s plans for Falmer after changing his mind. Charles Hendry, who represents Wealden, is the first Sussex Tory MP to sign an Early Day Motion urging Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott to approve the community stadium.

Mr Hendry said, “I have reconsidered my position on the Falmer Stadium. I agree that Brighton and Hove Albion badly needs to be able to expand its capacity if it is to have a viable future, especially now that they have been promoted to the First Division.

“I have also been persuaded by Rory Love, Conservative candidate for Lewes, of the value of the stadium to the area, bringing jobs and allowing Brighton and Hove Albion to expand valuable community programmes such as Football in the Community. The concerns about planning, I believe, can be overcome so that the village of Falmer is not ruined.

“I am proud to lending my support to the only professional League team in Sussex and wish them the best of luck in the coming season in Division One.”

Falmer support continues to grow among MP's

Mr Hendry is the fifth Sussex MP to sign Early Day Motion 889. The others are Labour’s Des Turner (Brighton Kemptown), David Lepper (Brighton Pavilion), Laura Moffatt (Crawley) and Michael Foster (Hastings and Rye).

Hove MP Ivor Caplin and other members of the Government are not allowed to sign EDMs but 89 Labour MPs, including a third of all Labour backbenchers in England, are among 129 MPs to sign the motion.

The stadium is also supported by 22 Conservatives and 18 of the 54 Liberal Democrat MPs, despite the opposition of Lewes Lib Dem Norman Baker.

Liberal Democrat backers include their Shadow Chancellor Vincent Cable, Shadow Home Secretary Mark Oaten, Brent East by-election winner Sarah Teather and Truro MP Matthew Taylor, who is chairman of the parliamentary party and widely tipped to be a future leader.

MPs are attracted by Albion’s heavy emphasis on public transport, which includes a pioneering voucher scheme for train and bus travel to matches at Withdean and Falmer.

Edward Davey, Lib Dem spokesman for the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, said, “It seems that the environmental arguments for it outweigh those against it.”

Other MPs, including David Heath, support the stadium but have not signed the EDM because the Falmer site is not in their constituency.

Mr Heath, Lib Dem MP for Somerton and Frome, said, “I am completely in favour of this development, which is supported by so many people and will be an exciting community asset. I do wish everyone success with this project and hope that it will prove to be an example of sustainable development of community facilities, followed by other organisations nationally.”

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
this got me:

Edward Davey, Lib Dem spokesman for the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, said, “It seems that the environmental arguments for it outweigh those against it.”

Spokesman for JP eh? that sounds bloody decent to me!

This is excellent news. The longer this drags on, the more obvious it is - even to people with no instinct to support us - that a YES to Falmer is the right decision.

Incidentally, Edward Davey is more correctly described as the Lib Dem spokesman on matters dealt with by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
The European election result for the South East was 1 regional figure for each party, with 10 MEPs elected according to a form of PR. Today's Argus includes the break-down of the votes by council areas in Sussex, which I haven't seen until now.

Brighton and Hove
Conservative 15,844
Green 12,106
Labour 12,072
UKIP 7,936
Lib Dem 7,899
Senior Citizens 1,353
BNP 1,055
Respect 996
Others not many

I know it wasn't a general election, but the 3 Labour MPs in Brighton & Hove ought to be pretty worried about this - especially as quite a bit of the UKIP vote is likely to go Tory in a general election.

The Tories got most votes in every council area of Sussex, including Lewes where they polled 9,019 to the Lib Dems' 5,738. I suspect quite a few of the 3,655 Green voters and 2,622 Labour voters will vote for Baker in a general election under first-past-the-post, but the Tories will benefit most by the erosion of UKIP's 5,081.

Oh and the turnouts were only 33% in Brighton & Hove, 39% in Lewes.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
34064 Fighter Command said:
I thought that, how can a Lib-Dem be a spokesman for a Labour Cabinet Minister ?
Lib Dem spokesman for the OFFICE of the Deputy PM, just as there are opposition spokesmen for Home Affairs, Foreign Affairs etc. More

Last edited:

The real point about the Lib Dems and Falmer is that the Official Party Spokesperson on Planning Matters has said that "It seems that the environmental arguments for it outweigh those against it.”

In plain English:-

"Norman Baker has been talking bollocks".

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
The real point about the Lib Dems and Falmer is that the Official Party Spokesperson on Planning Matters has said that "It seems that the environmental arguments for it outweigh those against it.”

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Lord Bracknell said:

and this from the party of whom's one former MP started the whole f***ing nonsense.:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:
This is excellent news. The longer this drags on, the more obvious it is - even to people with no instinct to support us - that a YES to Falmer is the right decision.

Incidentally, Edward Davey is more correctly described as the Lib Dem spokesman on matters dealt with by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

Excellent news indeed and cheered me up no end.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I don’t know if I was the only one who saw this, but when I went on the official site last week there was an article about Charles Kennedy (this was just prior to the 1st Oatway video). In it he was talking about how although he couldn’t sign the EDM as a leader he was happy so many Lib Dems were supporting it.

Anyone know why it got removed so quickly? Surely the official site would have checked it was a fair representation of what he said before putting it on there.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Just for the record, here are some quotes I've got in letters from Lib Dem MPs to me:

Charles Kennedy (leader): "Unfortunately, by parliamentary convention, party leaders do not sign EDMs. However, I am glad that a number of my colleagues have already signed the motion" (I read that as a pretty good sign of support!)

Don Foster (spokesman on Culture, Media & Sport): "I am grateful to you for drawing this to my attention, and from what you've said there is a very strong case for these proposals, and I hope it is succesful".

David Heath (my MP): "I am completely in favour of this development, which is supported by so many people, and will be an exciting community asset".

For various reasons, none of the above have signed the EDM, but we could certainly count them as VERY supportive.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
131 MPs have now signed, including 19 Lib Dems - more than a third of that party's MPs. The latest is Simon Hughes, who was their candidate for London Mayor :)

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The really upseting thing about the EDM is that even if we get 300 plus names on it, if JP is having a bad day he can still say no. Then other then a judical appeal which if i undestand it correctly only looks at the way the decison is made, not the decsion it self, there is feck all we can do about it.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I got this from my weekday MP (Battersea), Martin Linton, who is PPS to Peter Hain, the Leader of the House of Commons: "Thank you for contacting me to ask me to sign EDM 889 about Brighton and Hove Albion FC. I fully support this issue...it is difficult for me to sign EDMs..., because I am a Parliamentary Private Secretary and that technically counts as being a member of the government...Thank you for contacting me about this important issue and good luck in the campaign.

Another supporter, even if he cannot sign the Motion:clap2: :clap2:

I got a letter from Martin Salter from Reading West last week saying he wouldn't sign the EDM as it wasn't directly involving his constituency, but did say he supported our application and would have a word with fellow ministers on the subject.

He went on to state he was a bit nervous abou Reading FC having to play us next year.

Not the best result but still not adverse to our application.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lord Bracknell said:

We should name a stand after Norman Baker once Falmer is built, just to rub his nose in it....

Or maybe we should resist that temptation and proclaim the 'Normal Baker Urinals' that way we get to piss all over him instead of the other way around !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here