Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Late 70s,

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
The south stand at the Goldstone Ground use to have standing below and seats above, burnt down if i remember rightly?? bet you young ones dont remember that, down in the good old days.............

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember that...

There used to be a little "firm" who stood behind the South Goal.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yep the seats were wooden........just like a long plank with small wooden dividers...........:bla:

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
come on woodchip join in, u know u want to :bigwave:
wasnt there a smoke bomb thrown on from that end in about 77/78 season, just missed teddy maybank?:drink::drink:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
and my Blackburn supporting mate always goes on about a 1970s game against them where Peter Ward dribbled around the camera man before centering for someone to score...slightly overstated but the ball was well out of play

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I remember that...

There used to be a little "firm" who stood behind the South Goal.

I was a South Stander when you could stand there.

I remember wishing the big boys would shut up when the Millwall surgical mask mob were in the South West corner and they started singing "North Stand sing, South Stand fight, alelujah!" :eek:

Happy days, generally - apart from being rumbled by West Ham!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My first season ticket was with my Dad in the front row of the south stand seats 1973? It was our (only) year in the old Div 2 (championship) and my abiding memory is playing Chelsea in the Cup and my Mum (all 5'2" of her). Whacking standing Chelsea fans on the head with my big wooden rattle because they wouldn't stop swearing. Happy days. I was 36. No, 10 really.
PG

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I was a South Stander when you could stand there.

I remember wishing the big boys would shut up when the Millwall surgical mask mob were in the South West corner and they started singing "North Stand sing, South Stand fight, alelujah!" :eek:

Happy days, generally - apart from being rumbled by West Ham!

By day Mr Sullivan lives a mild mannered Zafira driving Quantity Surveying existense...:catfight:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The south stand at the Goldstone Ground use to have standing below and seats above, burnt down if i remember rightly?? bet you young ones dont remember that, down in the good old days.............

My one and only visit to the south stand was for my very first match at the Goldstone and sat in those seats. It was a friendly game against Chelsea which we lost 2-0.

rumour was that the club instigated the fire that burnt the stand down so they could claim on the insurance and use that to pay for the needed increase in seats that were required by FIRST DIVISION CLUBS, as we were then,

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought it burnt down and then the roof caught fire again some time later and wasn't replaced for some years after (or was that all the same fire?)

rumour was that the club instigated the fire that burnt the stand down so they could claim on the insurance and use that to pay for the needed increase in seats that were required by FIRST DIVISION CLUBS, as we were then,

Maybe it was the same person who set fire to the Bedford hotel? And maybe even the West Pier? Is there a pyromaniac at the club? I once saw Ferret with a box of matches :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here