Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong Returns!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
has he got a fresh supply of drugs then?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
has he got a fresh supply of drugs then?

He would have been caught the first time if that was the case, enough of his teammates were.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
""He said: "I'm happy to announce that after talking with my children, family and closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling...

"...in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden." ""

So not quite the Tour De France then ... the BBc are f***ing rubbish aren't they..

.......... Astana Team Director Johan Bruyneel told Cyclingnews that he is not aware of any comebacks by his former rider Lance Armstrong, who had retired from the sport in 2005, immediately following his record-breaking seventh Tour de France win.

"He is no part of our team," Astana team press officer Philippe Maertens told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "Team Astana has no plans with him."

Former team-mate Levi Leipheimer, presently racing for Astana at the Vuelta a Espana, also could also not confirm Armstrong's rumored return to the peloton - possibly to Astana for 2009.

"I don't think so," said Leipheimer of the chances of Armstrong returning to mix it up with the pros.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
He rode in a mountain bike race and finished second so had to declare he was racing to the doping test agency, no teams have stated he would be riding for them. Astana the obvious choice have lots of chiefs, however one never counts this man out.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
""He said: "I'm happy to announce that after talking with my children, family and closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling...

"...in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden." ""

So not quite the Tour De France then ... the BBc are f***ing rubbish aren't they..

.......... Astana Team Director Johan Bruyneel told Cyclingnews that he is not aware of any comebacks by his former rider Lance Armstrong, who had retired from the sport in 2005, immediately following his record-breaking seventh Tour de France win.

"He is no part of our team," Astana team press officer Philippe Maertens told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "Team Astana has no plans with him."

Former team-mate Levi Leipheimer, presently racing for Astana at the Vuelta a Espana, also could also not confirm Armstrong's rumored return to the peloton - possibly to Astana for 2009.

"I don't think so," said Leipheimer of the chances of Armstrong returning to mix it up with the pros.

I did initially think the same, that he would probably ride some American classics or something, however now on BBC report:

"Armstrong's spokesman Mark Higgins said it was undecided which team he would ride for and in what other races, apart from the Tour de France, he would compete. "

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Gendarme did discover three seperate substances, found in his hotel roon in Paris, that are deemed to be highly illegal in France. They found....

Toothpaste, soap and deoderant.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
From cyclingnews.com who are pretty reliable

Going by the whispers, Armstrong's return would see him ride just five events: the Tour of California, Paris-Nice, Tour de Georgia, Dauphiné Libéré and Tour de France. Two of these are based in the USA and would embrace the news.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just watched highlights of Tour of Britian and Ned Bolting spoke to contacts within the Armstrong camp and they reckon Lance is coming back to road racing.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Just watched highlights of Tour of Britian and Ned Bolting spoke to contacts within the Armstrong camp and they reckon Lance is coming back to road racing.

Sorry to be rude but what part of the article I have linked doesn't make that very clear?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sorry to be rude but what part of the article I have linked doesn't make that very clear?

The BBC interupted the tennis coverage last night saying that Lance Armstrong was coming out of retirement. Since then they have printed retractions all day long and no team (especially the Astana) have said they are communicating with him, none of the cycling websites have come out as strong as the BBC. So was taking their claims lightly as these rumours have been over the cycling forums for a few days.

As a huge TDF fan and follower would like to see it happen. You can be as rude as you like, the few times I've meet Lance he has also been rude.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The BBC interupted the tennis coverage last night saying that Lance Armstrong was coming out of retirement. Since then they have printed retractions all day long and no team (especially the Astana) have said they are communicating with him, none of the cycling websites have come out as strong as the BBC. So was taking their claims lightly as these rumours have been over the cycling forums for a few days.

As a huge TDF fan and follower would like to see it happen. You can be as rude as you like, the few times I've meet Lance he has also been rude.

Fair enough, I've also been following the stories today but the reason I posted the thread was due to it being "confirmed"!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To save me searching.....anyone know how old Lance Armstrong is ?

And what do the cycling fans on here reckon to his chances of actually competing in the Tours mentioned rather than just appearing in them ?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bang on q

www.cyclingnews.com - the world centre of cycling

bbc beats cycling press, you heard it on NSC first, cannot wait for the tour route to be annonced on the 22nd of October, lets hope they stick in Ventoux for old time sakes.

It's funny, I'm not a huge cycling fan as such, just love the TDF with a passion, and have done since the channel 4 days of the 80's. I always get excited every year when it starts and feel sad for a few days after it ends. I think this 'glory hunter' approach to the sport actually hightens my enjoyment of it in many ways. I quite like not knowing too much about form etc. going into the TDF each year.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It's funny, I'm not a huge cycling fan as such, just love the TDF with a passion, and have done since the channel 4 days of the 80's. I always get excited every year when it starts and feel sad for a few days after it ends. I think this 'glory hunter' approach to the sport actually hightens my enjoyment of it in many ways. I quite like not knowing too much about form etc. going into the TDF each year.

Its full on for three weeks and useally is decided on two or three stages. I agree its amazing how empty August can feel. If you are going to glory hunt go large bike races don't get any bigger.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
37 on the 18/09

The mans driven by competition and winning.

Is that just too old to have any realistic chance of a challenge for the GC though, even for Lance ?

Bernard Henault was quite old though when he finally packed in, wasn't he ? I'm guessing a bit, but I do seem to remember the badger going on & on. Any ideas what age he was when he retired ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here