Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lamest Christmas lights switch on

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It's already happening, across the UK Z-list "celebrities" are being asked to do the ceremonial switch on of high street Christmas lights to the adoring public. But which British town or city can lay claim to the very lamest of these public appearances?

This week Robbie Williams did the switch on for London's Oxford Street. Fair enough, I've heard of him. Whilst somebody called Taylor Swift (is that a girl or a guy?) did the lights in one of the massive Westfield shopping malls. No idea who that is but he/she probably means something to you if you're 13.

The JLS are doing lights in Bristol, John Bishop is doing Bath and Leeds have a bunch of local sports "stars"... and Neil Warnock.

Do any Sussex towns go in for this sort of thing? Will we have a celebrity switch on in Brighton, Eastbourne, Crawley or Hastings?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
This week Robbie Williams did the switch on for London's Oxford Street. Fair enough, I've heard of him. Whilst somebody called Taylor Swift (is that a girl or a guy?) did the lights in one of the massive Westfield shopping malls. No idea who that is but he/she probably means something to you if you're 13.

Surely that says more about your knowledge of pop culture rather than her status as a celebrity? Either way, she is definitely not one of the UK Z-list celebs you refer to; more like an American A-list

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Surely that says more about your knowledge of pop culture rather than her status as a celebrity? Either way, she is definitely not one of the UK Z-list celebs you refer to; more like an American A-list

Sorry, I wasn't referring to them as a z-list. I figured that doing the lights at Westfield would actually be a pretty high profile one and I heard people talking about queuing up to get tickets for it. That's why I mentioned Taylor Swift in the same sentence as Robbie Williams.

My knowledge of pop culture ended with the 90s I fear.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Anyone deserving the title "celebrity" is a talentless oxygen thief - I wouldn't know who Taylor Swift is either.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Whilst somebody called Taylor Swift (is that a girl or a guy?) did the lights in one of the massive Westfield shopping malls. No idea who that is but he/she probably means something to you if you're 13.

She's one of the biggest recording artists in the world at the moment. Swift has been the recipient of six Grammy Awards, ten American Music Awards, seven Country Music Association Awards, six Academy of Country Music Awards and thirteen BMI Awards. As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. She'll probably have the biggest selling album in the world this year. Not just 13 year olds that have heard of her.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
She's one of the biggest recording artists in the world at the moment. Swift has been the recipient of six Grammy Awards, ten American Music Awards, seven Country Music Association Awards, six Academy of Country Music Awards and thirteen BMI Awards. As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. She'll probably have the biggest selling album in the world this year. Not just 13 year olds that have heard of her.

f*** me I really am out of touch

:(

I have heard of the Dizzy Rascals though!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've heard Malcolm Roberts is switching on the christmas lights at Southwick Square.

He's the general manager at Peacocks down Boundary Road.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset

Did you actually KNOW that, or copy if from Wikipedia?

#stalker

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
As it stands I would hardly call JLS "Z" list

I wasn't trying to imply they are. I've actually heard of them, I was just listing some stars who have been named doing switch ons this year. The big cities tend to get bigger stars obviously. I wanna hear about the no marks though, doing lights in provincial backwaters like Gillingham.

EDIT: I've just seen Gillingham got Rastamouse to do it last year. That's actually pretty big time. I'd go and see that

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I wasn't trying to imply they are. I've actually heard of them, I was just listing some stars who have been named doing switch ons this year. The big cities tend to get bigger stars obviously. I wanna hear about the no marks though, doing lights in provincial backwaters like Gillingham.

Oh I see like the LEGEND that is Paul Danan.

Nothing will ever EVER top that I feel. Z list celeb, foul mouthed coke fuelled outburst and like you say lost a job in panto all at the same time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here