Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of Impact Subs.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Please don't come the old 'here we go, lost a match blah blah blah' crap, we don't seem to have a sub who will come on and change a game. I know we had ten men yesterday, but look at the bench all season and it doesn't fill me with confidence....any sensible views ??

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How many clubs at our level do, to be fair? The best players in League One are all in the starting XIs.

I know what you're saying, Lua Lua apart, but you have to have a couple of defensive minded players on the bench, so that leaves four slots. We are a bit thin when you look at it that way, certainly Gary Hart is a complete waste of a sub's position for my money. No doubt Poyet will be looking around in January.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lua lua was that player. Then we went down to ten. Then they scored their third with lua lua prostrate.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Please don't come the old 'here we go, lost a match blah blah blah' crap, we don't seem to have a sub who will come on and change a game. I know we had ten men yesterday, but look at the bench all season and it doesn't fill me with confidence....any sensible views ??

Fed scored the winner against Oldham at home too from what I recall.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
My Southampton supporting mate pointed out that our strength in depth is rubbish....as was proved against Woking! A couple of injuries and suspensions (i.e. the next few games it seems) should show our true colours in that department, it'll be interesting to see what Gus does during the transfer window.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's fairly obvious we need a substitute striker to be that magical wondersub people dream of, but i'm not sure a 7ft oaf or bebooted cheetah would fit into our methodical style of play that well coming fresh off of the bench. If they were so explosive they'd be aiming to start matches and not forever hoping we go a goal down so that they can come on. At present though, we don't seem to be able to throw on that third man to have a frontline with a goal from anywhere, so a better option than OGH should be gotten hold of. Maybe someone at the end of his days with a real eye for goal.
Ideally, this thundercrack from the bench in emergency situations won't oft be needed.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I actually feel Ashley Barnes would be a good impact sub and that is why I really hope we sign a quality striker in January to start with Murray.

I am a big Barnes fan and I think he will be an important player for us in the next few seasons and become an excellent striker as he gets more experienced and clinical in front of goal. He has played more than I, and probably Gus, thought he would this season and done very well but I do feel we would benefit from a more experienced starting striker and Ashley coming on later in the match when defences are more stretched.

I honestly feel that one good goal scoring striker (and keep Lua Lua in January) is all we need to complete the squad this season and secure promotion

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The problem I have with Hart as a sub is that he doesn't seem to fit any of the purposes you might bring a sub on for. He hasn't scored in several years, so he's unlikely to be the man you want if you're chasing a goal. He's not got the pace to chase people down any more so he won't be the man to win the ball back, or to tighten things up when you're trying to hold a narrow lead.

So I just don't see the point of having him on the bench. Nice guy, great run with the Albion, and yes, he had an important role in the relegation fight two years ago, albeit only as a sub. But none of that means he justifies his place now.

Baz and Battipiedi are still learning, but at least look as though they might be capable of doing something to turn a game. Jamie Smith probably won't win you a game but might be handy for holding on to what we have. Sparrow, if not starting, is a genuinely useful sub, although not yesterday, it must be said. Bridcutt is another holding player, so worth having on the bench if he's not starting. And Sandaza, well I have no idea as we've seen so little of him.

There's not a lot else is there?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would sooner have Baz on than Hart

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You can have 3 good strikers, we`ve had it before in promotion campaigns. Although Barnes has done ok he still misses a lot and results at Pool yesterday and Tranmere a while back could have been different if he had converted early chances. I dont expect so many goals from Murray as he plays a different game but not having another strike to come in and put presure on Barnes - and Murray to a degree - is a disadvantage.. It all sounds easy of course but I think Gus is working on it.
Nothing on the bench at the moment though looks that hot does it ?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
01 Brezovan, 04 Elphick, 05 Battipied, 10 Sparrow, 11 Baz, 12 LuaLua, 15 Hart

Not a bad bench although hart making the subs is a worry everyweek???

Im sure we have some good youngsters waiting for that chance aswel,don't think many league 1 clubs have a quality bench anyway.:thumbsup:

Yesterday obviously was an off day and we will get more

Hot Gossiper

Jun 26, 2008
I think Hart making the bench is more to do with money than ability. All players get bonus' just for featuring on the bench, and I would imagine hart is one of our cheapest players.

I Disagree...

Lua Lua is an amazing impact sub, Sparrow is adequate yet better starting, Baz, again is adequate and from what I have seen of Battipiedi, he could well change a game coming off the bench, considering he could have scored 4 at Borough! Yet somehow I doubt Hartlepool would have been the right game for him.

Hart is useless, end of, but let's not forget who won us the Oldham game? You need a player to come off the bench, be technically good and get into the right positions in the box, "quietly". Sandaza is that man. There is no point in signing a sprinter or massive lump, as they only suit a direct style of play, i.e. not how we play. Sandaza may do sod all else but when the ball is in the box, 9/10 he will be there and it will be a goal.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We need one striker and have done since the start of the season. If Muzza and Barnes have a off day, there is no other option up front.End of!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here