Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour Wins Glenrothes By-Election

Nah, they just voted for the party that keeps their joke country going by providing them with our hand outs:angry:

What are you on about here CB?
I think the low Conservative vote has more to do with that party having decided to write off the people living in Scotland politically, something that Michael Portillo said on "This Week" yesterday evening was part of David Cameron's plan. An interesting point to ponder if you believe in a UK eh?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
And one that I wholeheartedly applaud him for, if true.

Dave is never going to win a Scottish seat for the tories, so why waste time and effort trying?

You can pretty much ignore the conservatives when it comes to Scotland. The thing that annoys me is that they bang on about independance but without our money they'd fall on their arse.

Agreed, think that pisses most people off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody please explain to a senile old man why they are independant and have their own parliament but still are represented at Westminster. If they want to be independant and govern themselves fine let them be but then do not have any MPs in London. This is not just the Scots but also the Welsh if they want to be independant.

And one that I wholeheartedly applaud him for, if true.

Dave is never going to win a Scottish seat for the tories, so why waste time and effort trying?

You can pretty much ignore the conservatives when it comes to Scotland. The thing that annoys me is that they bang on about independance but without our money they'd fall on their arse.

OUR money? Whose exactly? And what's it got to do with Scotland deciding to leave the UK (or not)?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Our money, as in the money generated by England and all it's people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do they not survive on that?

As for leaving the UK, why can they not hurry up and do so? Their political parties seem to want it, all the jocks hate us, so what's the problem?

Well a Labour government are never going to let Scotland go, A Tory government might. So why dont the Jocks vote Tory? Maybe Dave Cam has got this one sussed!

Can somebody please explain to a senile old man why they are independant and have their own parliament but still are represented at Westminster. If they want to be independant and govern themselves fine let them be but then do not have any MPs in London. This is not just the Scots but also the Welsh if they want to be independant.

In summary, some (but certainly not all) governmental powers have been devolved from the Westminster UK Parliament to the Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh Assemblies/Parliaments in Belfast, Edinburgh and Cardiff. Before devolution, most of these used to be administered centrally in London via the Nothern Ireland, Scottish and Welsh Offices of the UK government. Health and Education are examples of devolved powers for Scotland but the level of devolution is not the same for all three countries - eg the Scottish Parliament could introduce an additional income tax if it wanted to. In principle, the "national" spends for these devolved powers are determined by the UK government and then given to the NI, Scottish and Welsh to spend as they see fit. The formula used to calculate the amounts to be allocated to Scotland (I don't know about NI and Wales) has not changed since it was introduced in 1978 - ie when it was all administered from London.
The reason there are Scottish, Welsh and NI MP's is because many issues, policies etc are determined on a UK basis (eg Defence, Foreign Policy....). Clearly we don't have English Assembly/Parliament (as yet) so any England specific issues are determined by the UK Parliament.

Well a Labour government are never going to let Scotland go, A Tory government might. So why dont the Jocks vote Tory? Maybe Dave Cam has got this one sussed!

Surely, if Scotland/Wales/NI vote to leave the UK then it doesn't matter what any Westminster Government thinks - does it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thank you for that. It is perfectly understandable that should they wish to become completely independant in all respects they would then automatically lose the right to have MPs in Westminster. That would obviously mean a complete break up of the UK and to revert back to being seperate individual countries which obviously will not happen, not at least during my life time.

Our money, as in the money generated by England and all it's people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do they not survive on that?

As for leaving the UK, why can they not hurry up and do so? Their political parties seem to want it, all the jocks hate us, so what's the problem?

OK, so each person living in Scotland (whether Scottish or not), seems/needs to get more (per capita) from the UK exchequer in order to provide the same level of government services as are provided in England. Are you surprised? Is this new? Aren't there regions/counties of England where a similar situation might apply?

I've no problem if the people of Scotland/Wales/NI decide to leave the UK, that is their decision although I think it would be misguided. However, I do have a problem if the break up of the union is the policy of a major UK political party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here