Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight: I'll accept mid-table finish

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
04-08-2006 09:29
Brighton chairman Dick Knight has revealed he will accept a mid-table finish this season - if the club develops it's promising youngsters.
The Seagulls were relegated from the Championship last season but the Albion supremo is warning supporters that a promotion push may not be on the cards.

Knight told the Brighton Evening Argus: "A lot of people expect us to bounce straight back, as we did three years ago. That would be great but we have to be realistic. What is very important is that we have got a lot of new young players coming through who we had the confidence in to give pro contracts.
"It's very important that we develop them this year because the future of this club, until we are well established at Falmer in six or seven years time, will have to be mainly on finding our own players, not spending £2 million on a new player.

"I'm not being defeatist, I am being realistic and pragmatic. We know some clubs in this League have big budgets, much bigger even than clubs in the Championship.
"I'm not accepting mid-table anonymity, I'm just saying if it happens and we bring these young players through into the first team, that will be very good for the future of this club, which is what I'm concerned about."

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Falmer in 6 or 7 years time :eek:

Edited: Ah! Well established.....Phew!

I will be in my early 30s!!

I think it is important to set a realistic target and as he said blood the youngsters as they are our future.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Black Country Seagull said:
04-08-2006 09:29
Brighton chairman Dick Knight has revealed he will accept a mid-table finish this season - if the club develops it's promising youngsters.

This is from an amateur site, right?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think thats a shit statement personally, never accept mid table ... or if you do , please dont broadcast it after ive parted with my hard earned cash.
Think its more a case of covering his arse when we have a very average season. Should always aim higher , better financial incentives for the club , attract better players , falmer more in the media , the loyal fans deserve it . .

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
afters said:
you certainly wouldn't get that appalling standard of apostrophe use on here!

Never!

Dougal said:
thats ... dont ... ive ... its . .

:down:

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
What kind of target is that??? Surely a minimum of a top ten finish should be the target. That suggests that McGhee will have to have us in the relgation zone before being under pressure.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
That should help attract a few signings to the club. Come and join Brighton and help us reach our target of a mid table finish. We don't want to be promoted as we can't afford the wages.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
bhafc99 said:

Who give's a f uck ? I have a decent job + have to write in the smallest of internet windows in a rush to not get rumbled.

Does it really matter ....... NO !

:)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'll have a mid-table vegan roast. Huge, boiled parsnips and just the inedible screams of cheese impressionists all chopped and sliced with fleshless scimitars.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thinly disguised proof,imo, that DK knows we cannot survive in the Championship as he can't find the funds to make us competitive. Don't expect any sort of funding for a promotion push then :down:

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
I think if we rely on to many youngsters, we will be in a relagation struggle, we just don't have senior players that you could rely on to bring them on.

Up front who is our senior striker to influence gatting, robinson etc.

Midfield, Chippy has got enough problems with his own game and oatway is injured.

Defence, we don't have one defender who can talk and command the line, so hmmm

ranting ended

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why is everyone moaning abouts and Knights prediction for f*** sake ?He is being relistic knowing we have alot of kids in our team.He also said some of the league one clubs have bigger budgets then the championship sides.We cannot compete and have lack of funds.We are relying on the kids to improve this season.A mid table finish is quite respectable and relistic

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The problem is that if you aim for mid-table, then inevitably you'll be in a relegation dogfight for part of the season as there is not too many points between mid-table and the 4th from bottom spot, and of course 4 go down from this league.

I imagine that DKs ideal season would be to be around the playoffs all season, keeping interest high, followed by a money-spinning playoff final defeat, setting up more of the same for next season.

Aim for mid - table and we'll be in trouble with both crowd levels and with the proximity to potential relegation.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
algie said:
Why is everyone moaning abouts and Knights prediction for f*** sake ?He is being relistic knowing we have alot of kids in our team.He also said some of the league one clubs have bigger budgets then the championship sides.We cannot compete and have lack of funds.We are relying on the kids to improve this season.A mid table finish is quite respectable and relistic

some teams do have bigger budgets , we do have have funds though

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
sparkie said:
The problem is that if you aim for mid-table, then inevitably you'll be in a relegation dogfight for part of the season as there is not too many points between mid-table and the 4th from bottom spot, and of course 4 go down from this league.

I am sure DK stated that it would be an acceptable finish, not that they are aiming for midtable. He is trying to inject some reality into the situation, as we have a very good record of getting out of this league in one go.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Dougal said:
some teams do have bigger budgets , we do have have funds though

Peanuts compared to Forest,Doncaster,Swansea,Huddersfield,Bristol city posibbly Millwall,Crewe and Blackpool

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here