Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

King Kenny seems to have misjudged the situation again

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You know as well as anyone that it's all about the League these days (or the Champions League). The fact is that any club, given the luck of the draw, can reach a Cup Final. Look at some of the teams that have been at Wembley/Cardiff in recent years. Pompey. Stoke. Cardiff. Millwall. Southampton. West Ham. It didn't make them decent teams at the time. That's where Liverpool are at currently.

United may not win anything this season (snigger), but there is no way on this earth they'd swap positions with Liverpool at the moment, cup wins or otherwise.
I find myself torn. Really and truthfully you are spot on here, edna, but I still prefer the old adage that football is about winning trophies. Liverpool have won one and may win another this year, and so far United haven't. So I'll grant the bin dipper his dues and say that on balance, that IS indeed a successful season.

However, the cup win(s) simply mask the truth that Liverpool haven't been good enough. And they really, really haven't. They've got a platform on which to build (European competition next season, and a domestic honour) but if I was a Liverpool fan I'd be of the opinion that this has merely bought time for the manager to make them TRULY competitive in the coming few months. If they are watching this sort of shite week in week out next season, having spent the money they've spent, and with embarrassingly glib and rude post match interviews to boot, I think I'd want him out before the January 2013 transfer window opens.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Where you at the Brimingham game, there was a whole montarge before kick out about how great the players and management think out fans are and there are always posts on here following away matches raving about how we outsung the home fans.

Yes I was there. Every club has a bit of that but I'd counter that there is a realisation here that we are football fans like everyone else. There are several threads moaning about fans on here as well as the occasional deluded post that we would win an award if one exisited. Also Gus often has a go at the fans which is the exception rather than the norm - Imagine King Kenny moaning at the kop?

Liverpool fans by contrast are even on here saying that they never boo (they do), the ground is always full and you can't get tickets (it's not) and then complain about plastic Man U fans when Liverpool fans have more 30 something plastics than any other team (and Man U nearly always sell out a ground with 30,000 more seats)

Likewise the Newcastle support gets huge media praise because a few fat nobbers take thier tops off in the cold and lower league Pompey because they have some knob cheese with a bell and a comdey hat. All I'm saying is if you want to bang on about your wonderful support, don't be surprised if there is criticism when its not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes I was there. Every club has a bit of that but I'd counter that there is a realisation here that we are football fans like everyone else. There are several threads moaning about fans on here as well as the occasional deluded post that we would win an award if one exisited. Also Gus often has a go at the fans which is the exception rather than the norm - Imagine King Kenny moaning at the kop?

Liverpool fans by contrast are even on here saying that they never boo (they do), the ground is always full and you can't get tickets (it's not) and then complain about plastic Man U fans when Liverpool fans have more 30 something plastics than any other team (and Man U nearly always sell out a ground with 30,000 more seats)

Likewise the Newcastle support gets huge media praise because a few fat nobbers take thier tops off in the cold and lower league Pompey because they have some knob cheese with a bell and a comdey hat. All I'm saying is if you want bang on about your wonderful support, don't be surprised if there is criticism when its not.
Is the correct answer.

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
The main issue is that Kenny wasn't controlling who to bring in. David Commolli had that job. He recommended midfielders who had the highest percentage of balls in the box the previous season. Trouble is is that didn't take into account that Downing, Henderson, Adam and others were free kick and corner takers for their previous teams hence the percentage. Schoolboy error of the highest level is why he lost his job. This is not excusing the Carroll situation which is on the face of it terrible business. Kenny is no doubt a good manager but the players they have up top excluding Bellamy and Suarez are not good enough. Kenny's reactions to certain situations this season have been poor but two cups in a season of mediocrity isn't too bad for them as realistically they are now a top 8 team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The main issue is that Kenny wasn't controlling who to bring in. David Commolli had that job. He recommended midfielders who had the highest percentage of balls in the box the previous season. Trouble is is that didn't take into account that Downing, Henderson, Adam and others were free kick and corner takers for their previous teams hence the percentage. Schoolboy error of the highest level is why he lost his job. This is not excusing the Carroll situation which is on the face of it terrible business. Kenny is no doubt a good manager.

Hahahahahahahahaha What an absolute load of shit.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I think Kennys decision was idiotic. Chelsea are coming into the final off the back of knocking Barca out of the Champions League, reaching the final with a really spirited backs against the wall performance, and a big win against whoever they played at the weekend (forgotten!). Chelsea will have fantastic momentum and belief going into the final whereas the Scousers are coming in after that half arsed damp squib against Fulham (historically one of the Leagues worst travelling teams)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's your opinion, however, this came from a fantastic source who works in football data and that was given to David Commolli.

If he was THAT fantastic, would he know Damian's NAME?

Irrespective of any of that nonsense, whatever data was provided to DC, Dalgleish knew all of those players through seeing them week in, week out, in the Prem. He knew what they were capable of. Or more pertinently, what he THOUGHT they were capable of.

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton

Irrespective of any of that nonsense, whatever data was provided to DC, Dalgleish knew all of those players through seeing them week in, week out, in the Prem. He knew what they were capable of. Or more pertinently, what he THOUGHT they were capable of.

No that's my laziness to not get the guys name right. The point I'm making is that this modern style of director of football plus transfer expert etc etc are clearly stupid roles filled by people who a) haven't a clue b) taking the money and not putting the work in. It doesn't make any sense to over index on a job that clearly the manager and his scouts can work on together. An example of this is the head scout John Stephenson who left after 3 months or so after a bust up with Gus on recruitment. I know he was our head scout so it's slightly different but he was appointment by the club and not the manager so we're led to believe.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I honestly hope Chelsea win on Saturday because 1) Di Matteo deserves it, 2) It makes Liverpools season even worse and 3) Its a wasted journey to "Anfield South" (which they still call Wembley, despite Saturday being only their 2nd visit).

If it was ANYONE else other than Dalglish in charge right now - they would have been sacked a long time ago.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Against a manager who's only been in the job since Jan'11.

The new owners and management have had to pick up the pieces of the old owners who led the club to the brink, sold some of the best players (Alonso & Masceranho), and left the sulky Torres wanting to jump ship.

In the 16 months, they've beaten Chelsea 3 times out of 3 at Stamford Bridge, knocked Man City and Man out of cups, won the league cup, beaten Everton every time in cup and league, won at the Emirates.

Last night they played the second string for obvious reasons. A good Fulham team, who everyone seems to rate and love, took their best team with highly rated stars who the media think are going to be raided by big clubs this Summer ... Dembele, Dempsey, Pogrebniak.

With their first team, they've mainly played well, but need a goal finisher.

It will take time after Hicks-Gillett left the squad so poor.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Against a manager who's only been in the job since Jan'11.

The new owners and management have had to pick up the pieces of the old owners who led the club to the brink, sold some of the best players (Alonso & Masceranho), and left the sulky Torres wanting to jump ship.

In the 16 months, they've beaten Chelsea 3 times out of 3 at Stamford Bridge, knocked Man City and Man out of cups, won the league cup, beaten Everton every time in cup and league, won at the Emirates.

Last night they played the second string for obvious reasons. A good Fulham team, who everyone seems to rate and love, took their best team with highly rated stars who the media think are going to be raided by big clubs this Summer ... Dembele, Dempsey, Pogrebniak.

It will take time after Hicks-Gillett left the squad so poor.

What pisses a lot of people off is that Hodgson was hounded out for a record that was no worse than King Kenny's is now. Hodgson didn't win a trophy (even a Noddy one) but then again that's because he wasn't in charge at a time that allowed him to, seeing as the cup finals are in the second half of the season. The perception outside the red-tinted arena is that he was fired because he wasn't perceived to be big enough for the club, yet in fact it's been proved that the players are the ones who are shit, not Hodgson. Well, either that, or Dalglish has all the motivational powers of Touche Turtle.

Dalglish has led his team to a draw against a Championship side, resulting in the Carling Cup. He may yet take home the FA Cup. Commendable, but he'd bite his own arm off to be in contention for the league...hell even to be in contention for the top six.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They've also lost at HOME to Wigan and West Brom and drawn to Stoke, Norwich, Swansea, Sunderland and really crap Blackburn and Aston Villa sides.

That's why we have a league. So that these results can be neatly collated and turned into some guide of how good your team is. And using this method, Liverpool have been utter turd (relatively speaking).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah, if ONLY they'd thought to spend some money on a striker or two last year....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Liverpool are the ORIGINAL plastics team.

Oh how I LAUGH at their floundering. Gone are the days of dodgy penalties given at Anfield, when "everyone" or so it semed supported them, Im no lover of Utd but I was glad when Fergie "knocked them off their f***ing perch".

Didnt Dogleash recently say its not about league position its about shirt sales or some such nonsense.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Liverpool are dogshit, here is a lits of teams that could realistically finish above them this year.

Fulham
West Brom
Sunderland
Swansea
Stoke

Wigan and Fulham have had their first ever wins at Anfield this year, the year they spent £100m on Adam, Downing and Caroll + a load of other shit.

Anyone defending Kenny is a moron.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Liverpool are the ORIGINAL plastics team.
Oh how I LAUGH at their floundering. Gone are the days of dodgy penalties given at Anfield, when "everyone" or so it semed supported them, Im no lover of Utd but I was glad when Fergie "knocked them off their f***ing perch".

Didnt Dogleash recently say its not about league position its about shirt sales or some such nonsense.

Whatever the NSC equivalent of a RT is, I'm doing it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here