Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kick Off Times

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Although the whole kick off time thing is quite pointless, I can see where you are comming from. Insider is correct when he says "The three matches this year have kicked off at 15.04; 15.01 and 15.04", what he dosent say is what time the SECOND half kicks off! For example on saturday it was 16.10.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The second half thing is almost as annoying. They seem to take longer and longer for half time these days.

But my point is not really related to the Kuipers fiasco. Even without that the players only came out at 2.59pm!! How can we possibly then kick off at 3pm.

It would take much for the club to provide a quick timetable for referees so they know what time to get the teams out would it? How do all othr clubs manage it. It can't be a coincidence that whatever the referee we are always the last game to finish in our division.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Didn't they say socks ?

Yep it was definitely socks. Apparently they were a bit smelly so for the sake of the ball boys behind the goal they had to be changed. Bloody health and safety!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
There is a bets thread lurking somewhere in the pre season vaults of time and i distinctly remember tipping that if you could bet on our games at withdean finishing last of the english league 1 3pm kick offs then put your shirt on it,its been going on for at least 2 seasons now for whatever reason :shrug: alas i couldnt get my local bookie to take the bet but he tore my arm off when i said ok so what about us finishing in the top 6

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Insider just confirmed that we did kick off late every game as as you said and blamed the ref without addressing any other points you made.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think there is a general conspiracy to make half time longer to allow people to spend more money on food and drink, but that is across the board at most grounds. I just don't understand why it is so difficult to ensure that we kick off at 3pm!! I can guarantee that if Sky were televising it, it would start bang on time, so why can't we do it?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It would help if they got rid of the stupid "respect" lineup!
Indeed, although that happens at every match in the country now, so this can't be blamed for us being so much later than everyone else.

Insider doesn't do himself any favours sometimes, he just confirmed that we did kick off late every game as as you said and blamed the ref without addressing any other points you made.

Indeed. Don't like to moan (generally!) but to just accept that the kick off times are late and say it's all the refs fault is a little lame.

A ref probably only comes to Withdean once or twice a season so doesn't know how long it takes to go through the various pre match stuff so surely they should be given a bit of help with this?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm invariably "just finishing up" down the pub right up until the last minute before we have to leave, so if they kick off a bit late it gives me a chance to have a quick jimmys before taking my seat.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Its FOUR minutes.

Does it REALLY matter?

Whilst you are of course right it is a trivial matter, I think it demonstrates the tip of the iceberg, a person that is late to a meeting gives across a certain couldn't care less attitude which sets the tone for the whole meeting. Hardly the way to go about starting a football match :lol:

And there are some people that operate to very tight travelling arrangements...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Stuck at home watching Sky Sports News on Saturday, it was noticeable how our game finished way after everyone else. All the other games in Div 1 had gone 'red' to show a result, they'd whizzed round most of the grounds for a quick report and read out the classifieds (with Brighton showing as L - L) before it finally came through.

Even my wife (who's not a Brighton fan) asked me why our result was so late.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Stuck at home watching Sky Sports News on Saturday, it was noticeable how our game finished way after everyone else. All the other games in Div 1 had gone 'red' to show a result, they'd whizzed round most of the grounds for a quick report and read out the classifieds (with Brighton showing as L - L) before it finally came through.

Saturday was exceptional for sure, due to Kuipers smelly socks etc, but I'm told it is normal for ours to be the last result through.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

We did also have a couple of incidents in the game that took AGES to sort out though. FDM being late with his socks, Whings injury, and that injury-time free-kick that arsehole ref awarded against Kuioers all took their toll on the clock.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
On a positive note I should say I am very pleased to see that finally someone has got on top of the important job of starting the countdown clock at the beginning of each half. At one time every other game saw this forgotten, but can't remember the last time such a failure occured. Well done whoever you are!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here