Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Blackwell - sacked

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Luton have always been one of those clubs I have had a long standing irrational hatred of. It's now becoming more rational.

I think this is terrible, hopefully Luton get what they deserve and get relegated. What does Nick Owen know about running a football club anyway?!

He's been sacked by the administrator, not the new consortium who have yet to takeover the club. They now have a month or so to sort the money out before finally taking over. I wonder if there is yet to be another turn in the Currie saga following this development.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
This Should Set Alarm Bells Ringing At Brighton. Luton Will Now Have Money To Spend And Will Want To Pick The Best Players From The Lower Leagues. Expect Bids For Elder And Fraser.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Me no understand ... Surely if he is sacked then his contract has to be 'paid up'? If they had waited for him to work his notice then surely it wouldn't have cost them anything?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This Should Set Alarm Bells Ringing At Brighton. Luton Will Now Have Money To Spend And Will Want To Pick The Best Players From The Lower Leagues. Expect Bids For Elder And Fraser.

Uhhh...you do know Luton are in ADMINISTRATION, right ?

Sacking someone who's resigned though, very odd.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
What does Nick Owen know about running a football club anyway?!

He knows as much as us, but he is not really anything but a spokesperson for 2020, i dont think he is even putting any money in the consortium

Blackwell was leaving at the end of the month anyway, so they will bring a manager in to use the (little) funds on the players he wants in the window

Presumably it is cheaper to sack him and pay him off, than let him work out a period of resignation. seems mad to me but the administrator's only duty is tio the shareholders.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He knows as much as us, but he is not really anything but a spokesperson for 2020, i dont think he is even putting any money in the consortium

Blackwell was leaving at the end of the month anyway, so they will bring a manager in to use the (little) funds on the players he wants in the window

Yep - he's only their PR man, but his hesitancy on the issue when asked today and yesterday suggested he knew what was going on.

Blackwell wasn't told about the take over either - the BBC found out first.

He's been treated terribly.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Yep - he's only their PR man, but his hesitancy on the issue when asked today and yesterday suggested he knew what was going on.

Blackwell wasn't told about the take over either - the BBC found out first.

He's been treated terribly.

Looks like a right old mess. The consortium say they have loaned funds to the existing club to make sure nobody else sold etc, then a matter of hours later the administrators sack 3 more people (manager, assistant manager and coach). They say the 5 players were sold as no new money had been invested so they had no choice as no money to keep the club running on a day to day basis. If the new consortium did invest money how come they are still sacking staff/players??? Guess only the Administrator knows how bad the finances really are!

Nothing adds up! 2 players sold for £675k and £350k, one sold on a free, 2 out on loan, 2 considering permanent moves to Plymouth, and the keeper to an unknown club (club accepted the offer just up to the keeper if he wants to go)!

I see Own said "We will only let players go when we think it's in the best interest of the club and I hope there will be no more sales in the coming weeks." . Until they get control of the club the administrators make the decisions so Owen did not know what he was talking about!

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton

I really can't take anything you say seriously, and still wonder why you Type Like This?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
By sacking the manager early, the administrator might be saving on paying out potential win bonuses. A caretaker manager wont cost any extra as a club employee will only be "on trial" until a permanent manager is announced.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
and they have gone and replaced him with mick harford :lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I thought Nick Owen's comment was quite interesting on Talk Sport today.

He said that he didn't want any more players to go and now that the situation was more positive, he hoped that players who were already in discussions with other clubs would reconsider.........cue a "Currie to Brighton" rumour?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here