Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ken Brown leaves, Martin Perry retiring in July '14

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have no axe to grind with LB - however what you post sometimes (through no fault of your own) taken as being somehow gospel - or certinaly a closer pass at the truth than one can usually get on here.

There was a group of Albion fans who, during our time at Withdean in particular, became shall we say 'friendly' with Dick Knight and other members of the Albion board.

You are often the first to jump on anyone making suppositions about the Albion - especially if you know better - which often you seem to - or at least one could suppose you do.

You are reassured that Derek Brown is now interim CEO - you were concerned that Tony Bloom was bringing in people who were his mates - or much knowledge or background in football.

The Tony Bloom that runs a successful global business is now going to populate the board with a bunch of mates who dont know what they're doing. BUt now you feel reassured he has put Brown into a CEO role even if only as interim?

The more I read that post the more pompous and self-important it sounds and one cannot help but feel you and some of your colleagues feel a little aggrieved that your counsel is no longer requested or you are not part of the inner-sanctum of the little cottage-industry that once was Brighton and Hove Albion??

I am only asking - but perhaps you could see that your post was verging on the pompous??

You might want to edit the post to actually make sense !

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I have no axe to grind with LB - however what you post sometimes (through no fault of your own) taken as being somehow gospel - or certinaly a closer pass at the truth than one can usually get on here.

There was a group of Albion fans who, during our time at Withdean in particular, became shall we say 'friendly' with Dick Knight and other members of the Albion board.

You are often the first to jump on anyone making suppositions about the Albion - especially if you know better - which often you seem to - or at least one could suppose you do.

You are reassured that Derek Brown is now interim CEO - you were concerned that Tony Bloom was bringing in people who were his mates - or much knowledge or background in football.

The Tony Bloom that runs a successful global business is now going to populate the board with a bunch of mates who dont know what they're doing. BUt now you feel reassured he has put Brown into a CEO role even if only as interim?

The more I read that post the more pompous and self-important it sounds and one cannot help but feel you and some of your colleagues feel a little aggrieved that your counsel is no longer requested or you are not part of the inner-sanctum of the little cottage-industry that once was Brighton and Hove Albion??

I am only asking - but perhaps you could see that your post was verging on the pompous??

Lord B will doubtless defend himself on this. But nowhere did his original post say that TB would appoint people who don't know what they are doing. And Derek Brown? You're confusing him with Ken Chapman, surely?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I have absolutely no inside knowledge but wouldn't be surprised if Ken was 'eased out'. He just seemed a bit, well, amateurish.

Martin Perry on the other hand, well, you can't overestimate what he has done for the club. Absolute legend. I'll never forget talking to him at one of the season ticket events and he looked utterly drained but still summoned enough energy for a chat. If anyone deserves a happy early retirement it's Martin.

I certainly don't think there's any reason for concern, we were due a restructuring following the recent momentous changes to the club's status. In Bloom we trust.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I suspect what has happened is that Martin Perry has decided to wind down and they want to combine his role with Ken Browns.

I have no inside knowledge to back this theory, I hasten to add.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was suggested on NSC when Dick Knight was in charge that one of his inner circle had been promised the role of CEO I wonder if that will happen now. or will TB bring in his own man.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was suggested on NSC when Dick Knight was in charge that one of his inner circle had been promised the role of CEO I wonder if that will happen now. or will TB bring in his own man.

I can personally see him bringing in a big Prem name that no longer is in a job in that league... but we shall see.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Think you need to put a 'd' on the end of 'love' mate, unless you have reconstructed it in your back garden!

Alas there is no lifesize reconstruction :(

However somehow I can't let go of the Goldstone and part of me is still in denial. In view of that I wrote 'love'. It is still present tense as far as I'm concerned!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I seem to remember that the east side of the Goldstone was known as The "East Enclosure"

I guess I do have to respond to this, even though it's seems to be based on the mistaken impression that I'm "missing" a relationship I used to have with members of the Albion board, "during our time at Withdean". All I will say to that is that I haven't lost contact with the people I had dealings with in those days, nor am I (or other members of the Falmer For All team) completely out of the loop now. You might be surprised to know that "our counsel" is still requested.

My comments about Tony Bloom's "mates" who have joined the board since he became Chairman are absolutely NOT intended to convey the impression that I think they "don't know what they are doing". Exactly the opposite, in fact. Tony Bloom is obviously a successful businessman who has got where he has by working with other people. The fact that some of them have been invited on to the Albion board to support him here is a sign that he runs his businesses in a coherent way - and it can only be good for the football club that it has the involvement of the Chairman's colleagues, like Adam Franks and Marc Sugarman, who work alongside him in his other ventures.

I also think, though, that it is good for the Club that fans like Derek Chapman are still at the heart of the action. I'm sorry if you think it is "pompous" to say so.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I guess I do have to respond to this, even though it's seems to be based on the mistaken impression that I'm "missing" a relationship I used to have with members of the Albion board, "during our time at Withdean". All I will say to that is that I haven't lost contact with the people I had dealings with in those days, nor am I (or other members of the Falmer For All team) completely out of the loop now. You might be surprised to know that "our counsel" is still requested.

My comments about Tony Bloom's "mates" who have joined the board since he became Chairman are absolutely NOT intended to convey the impression that I think they "don't know what they are doing". Exactly the opposite, in fact. Tony Bloom is obviously a successful businessman who has got where he has by working with other people. The fact that some of them have been invited on to the Albion board to support him here is a sign that he runs his businesses in a coherent way - and it can only be good for the football club that it has the involvement of the Chairman's colleagues, like Adam Franks and Marc Sugarman, who work alongside him in his other ventures.

I also think, though, that it is good for the Club that fans like Derek Chapman are still at the heart of the action. I'm sorry if you think it is "pompous" to say so.

Thats what you say, I'm waiting for [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] to reveal the truth.:)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
A bar is and never has been enough. Dick Knight is a once-in-a-lifetime figure at the Albion. I can't imagine how there will ever be anyone as important again. The very least there should be is a statue, and I certainly wouldn't object to a Bloom one alongside him (although I guess this can't happen while he is our chairman, unless he develops a huge ego). I've even identified the spot. It should be at the top of the path from the station just before you arrive at the club shop. Make it happen!

Not there! That's my parking spot.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Thats what you say, I'm waiting for [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] to reveal the truth.:)

I fear we may never know. I suspect Ken Brown was Ernests sauce. No BREAKING news from Ernest today........CO-INCIDENCE....?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The Perry bit is huge news. This is the man from MacAlpine that held the 1%, the man that made sure we got back to Brighton, fought for us through the enquiries and delivered us a spectacular stadium.

Where Dick Knight and Tony Bloom led, Perry was there, in the background, making it happen.

Very, very large shoes to fill.

Wern`t McAlpine going to finance the Stadium at one point

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I fear we may never know. I suspect Ken Brown was Ernests sauce. No BREAKING news from Ernest today........CO-INCIDENCE....?

Yea the last act of the CRUMBLING Dick Tight REGIME has been to silence ERNEST.

A message from Derek Chapman ...

Subject: New Role

Dear friends and colleagues,

Just to let you all know that I am coming out of retirement for a short period of time, the Chairman and board of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Ltd, have asked if I would take over the role of CEO and lead the club whilst they search for a suitably qualified candidate to take over this role and responsibilities going forward. Previously there have been two positions at the club CEO and Managing director, these have now been amalgamated into one role of CEO who will implement the boards strategies as the club moves forward hopefully to become an established premiership football club. In the last 12 months due to promotion and moving into the new state of the art American Express Community Stadium turnover has increased a staggering 5 fold, with a potential similar increase when we make it into the premier league, on match days we employ directly or indirectly over 1000 people at the stadium. I will use my leadership and commercial skills to the best of my ability over the forthcoming 6-9 months to rationalise operating costs and increase commercial revenues,whilst maintaining or improving customer satisfaction which is already at a very high level for what is basically a start up business at the new stadium. I am very proud of being asked to take over this role, and hopefully will be able to bring the aspirations of the Chairman and board into fruition.

Regards Derek Chapman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here