Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ken Brown leaves, Martin Perry retiring in July '14

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Nobody should underestimate just how important Martin Perry has been in getting the club to where it is today. Absolute hero :bowdown:

What he said!!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I agree. And to add to that the stands should be named to honour those who worked tirelessly to get us our new home ( and financed it ) :

North Stand = The Knight Stand
West Stand = The Bloom Stand
East Stand = The Perry Stand
South Stand = The Fans United Stand

I seriously doubt they would name the stands as it seems fairly plain that they are left with non-sentimental "East" "West" at the moment to allow stand sponsorship in the future. Attaching sentimental value to their names makes this harder to change when the sponsorship comes around, and would also look pretty bad if they went from "Dick Knight Stand" to "West Hoathly Tires and Motors Stand".

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Dererk Chapman chose the pies:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ha ha, this has to be one of the lamest posts Lamie, I've read since joining NSC. You're actually saying that you typed zzzzz to let everyone know you're drifting off to sleep with no reference at all to the thread you're posting on...:laugh:

It really was an EXCELLENT excuse.

I originally wrote "this news is of no interest to me", however what i was refering to was a newspaper which was in front of me at the time of posting on this thread.

I can see how the confusion occurred.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I seriously doubt they would name the stands as it seems fairly plain that they are left with non-sentimental "East" "West" at the moment to allow stand sponsorship in the future. Attaching sentimental value to their names makes this harder to change when the sponsorship comes around, and would also look pretty bad if they went from "Dick Knight Stand" to "West Hoathly Tires and Motors Stand".

"West Hoathly Tires and Motors Dick Knight Stand"

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Wouldn't you say that bland old East, South, North, West is quite sentimental to our Goldstone days anyway? I think it is... keep it bland!

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Wouldn't you say that bland old East, South, North, West is quite sentimental to our Goldstone days anyway? I think it is... keep it bland!

Didn't have an East Stand only a chicken run!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

North stand probably (though probably not as much as some people would think/like). The rest, not at all. In fact, I'd guess that if you asked most people in the West stand whether they felt any sentimental attachment to the Goldstone's West Stand they would not only say no, but probably fail to know what the Goldstone's West Stand was, or even the Goldstone!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
North stand probably (though probably not as much as some people would think/like). The rest, not at all. In fact, I'd guess that if you asked most people in the West stand whether they felt any sentimental attachment to the Goldstone's West Stand they would not only say no, but probably fail to know what the Goldstone's West Stand was, or even the Goldstone!

Ok maybe I'm just being old timeist (new word?)! I'll take me sentimental hat off :wink:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Ok maybe I'm just being old timeist (new word?)! I'll take me sentimental hat off :wink:

Please don't. Your sentimentality is admirable. Sentimentality however, is a pain in the arse for football clubs, and Brighton are no exception.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thanks MP , one of the saviours of our beloved club. I've got a sneaky suspicion that when he "retires" in 2014 he will take up a consultancy role at Bristol City if the timeline is right.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Agreed but surely a compromise could be "Dick Knight Stand sponsored by West Hoathly Tires and Motors" ?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Nobody has commented on the fact that Derek Chapman is stepping up to the role of interim Chief Honcho (to fill the Ken Brown role).

Derek is a real fan and one of us. And this is good news, even if it is only a stop-gap measure. To be honest, I have been slightly concerned over the past couple of years to be seeing new members of the board being appointed from what appears to be a pool of "mates of Tony Bloom" - who, possibly, don't have much of a background in football (or Albion supporting). But, if Derek Chapman is now at the centre of the inner circle, I'm reassured.

I have no axe to grind with LB - however what you post sometimes (through no fault of your own) taken as being somehow gospel - or certinaly a closer pass at the truth than one can usually get on here.

There was a group of Albion fans who, during our time at Withdean in particular, became shall we say 'friendly' with Dick Knight and other members of the Albion board.

You are often the first to jump on anyone making suppositions about the Albion - especially if you know better - which often you seem to - or at least one could suppose you do.

You are reassured that Derek Brown is now interim CEO - you were concerned that Tony Bloom was bringing in people who were his mates - or much knowledge or background in football.

The Tony Bloom that runs a successful global business is now going to populate the board with a bunch of mates who dont know what they're doing. BUt now you feel reassured he has put Brown into a CEO role even if only as interim?

The more I read that post the more pompous and self-important it sounds and one cannot help but feel you and some of your colleagues feel a little aggrieved that your counsel is no longer requested or you are not part of the inner-sanctum of the little cottage-industry that once was Brighton and Hove Albion??

I am only asking - but perhaps you could see that your post was verging on the pompous??

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Thanks MP , one of the saviours of our beloved club. I've got a sneaky suspicion that when he "retires" in 2014 he will take up a consultancy role at Bristol City if the timeline is right.

I just hope he's properly recognised with a mosaic or something of similar standards in the future. Smashing guy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'd just really love it if we used the British term 'Chief Executive', which is how Martin has always been defined, rather than 'CEO', which is as American as soccer.

Agree with you but,

The term soccer originatedinEngland,first appearing in the 1880sas an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association". [6]

Taken from wikipedia but fairly well documented:)

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Oh we certainly DID have an East Stand WITH a chicken run!

fair dos, just me then, only ever called it chicken run.

PS. do keep your sentimental hat on, nothing wrong with it in my view.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
fair dos, just me then, only ever called it chicken run.

PS. do keep your sentimental hat on, nothing wrong with it in my view.

I was thinking of starting a thread with your favourite/most memorable game watched in each stand at the Goldstone... couldn't be arsed though. If someone does I'll contribute!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You're right of course. Rugger is the same I think. And of course Brock or Gotten are old English words too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here