Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ken Brown leaves, Martin Perry retiring in July '14

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He wasn't liked when he was at Milwall. I don't think he'll be missed. Bloom will get someone who will be a good managing director, I'm sure of it.

It's a shame that Perry is retiring but he deserves it after all the hard work that he's done already and will be doing for the next two years.

I don't think he was liked at Millwall as he cleaned them up a lot to be honest with you. I think he did a good job, and maybe somethings happened that made his position difficult, be interesting to see who comes in.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Tony Bloom will want those last elements of amateurism gone for good.

The Albion are big business now and anyone not up to the task won't be around to see it for long.

Fair enough, and I guess that's how Albion would spin this.

The immediate future will give us a good feel for which way this is going to go. I hope the club is able to keep the spirit and values we developed over 15 years of campaigns and homelessness. So here's hoping that saying goodbye to amateurism doesn't automatically mean being run by soul-less corporate types who are only about 'customers' and 'revenue generation'. We'll see.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blimey slated for ''zzzzz'' to put record straight this was me going bak to sleep...been up all night with a stomach bug.

I was not slating Argus...dont think i have ever.
I knew that.

And just to avoid confusion, and to put the record straight, I was purely posting my plans for this evening.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
We bloody well don't until the Albion do what they should have done in July and build one of the man that got us there.

He has a bar named after him.... But yes agree, there probably are a few people that deserve one. Namely Knight and Perry though. Unless I've misunderstood and you are referring to Michel Kuipers? :smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I may be WAY off the mark, but on the couple of occasions I met Ken Brown, or saw him at a Fans Forum, bless him but he always struck me as the weak link who was well out of his depth, even given his track record at other clubs.
His fumbled answers at Fans Forums to relatively straight forward questions were quite embarrassing sometimes...

All the best to him for the future though.

MP I have got the utmost time for and he will be missed.

I don't think you are too far off the mark.

Oct 25, 2003
i can't imagine how exhausting the whole falmer process was to those directly involved in it....hats off to knight, perry etc. they deserve to put their feet up after what they've given us

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
With Perry gone our fight for the training centre is going to be a lot harder. The man know's how to campaign.

It is big news and Perry has been immense, but the club is in a very different place today than it has been.

We are no longer a campaiging club trying to stay alive, balance the books and deliver a new stadium.

We are a championship club in a 21st century stadium building a premiership structure that needs to fully maximise its revenue streams.

Most companies need different types of management to get something off the ground to a certain level, than to sustain, consolidate and grow from that established platform.

The Albion is a business. I guess Bloom now wants proven corporate money makers, I trust his instincts

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Wasn't Ken Brown responsible for the Barnet Carling Cup ticketing fiasco a few years back? Not sad to see him go (and actually, on the couple of times I've "met" him, he came across as a bit of a prick).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Make no mistake, without MP's seemingly infinite patience, determination, tenacity and expertise, Falmer would still just be a muddy field right now, and gawd knows where BHAFC would be. Without doubt the most important figure Dick Knight ever brought in to the club.

Martin Perry should have his own giant legends poster on the wall behind the West Stand.

Take down Leon Knights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not surprised at all; a different "style" of CEO is probably required now the business is established at the Amex. I hear JP Garnier is still available :)

I think Garnier's wages could be the stumbling block. I wonder what Mr Leschly is up to these days?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess Bloom now wants proven corporate money makers, I trust his instincts

To me, Bloom seems to be someone who puts quality first, the money follows. I think he simply wants the best, and Perry and Brown were not the best.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To me, Bloom seems to be someone who puts quality first, the money follows. I think he simply wants the best, and Perry and Brown were not the best.

I really don't see how Martin Perry announcing his retirement in two years time is 'not the best' He is retiring because his work is nearly done. He was at the office in Withdean for over 12 hours a day for over 10 years so I think he's entitled to have some life at last.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My own view is that the club was always going to look and give people the chance to perform in the new 20k+ fan world of the Albion. As Bozza said, with the next generation, the time has come to make the changes. Presumably with a new CEO in place then there will be decisions around customer services, operations etc to follow and that may be giving support to those in the role. That's not saying people do 'bad' jobs but the jobs are much bigger now.

Also given the size of the club there is a need for a full time CEO of the football club as well as a CEO covering the developments.

I personally believe Martin Perry will deserve his retirement when it comes - he has worked bloody hard to deliver what we now have. Brown came in on his recommendation I believe, in order to allow Martin to concentrate on stadium matters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really don't see how Martin Perry announcing his retirement in two years time is 'not the best' He is retiring because his work is nearly done. He was at the office in Withdean for over 12 hours a day for over 10 years so I think he's entitled to have some life at last.

IMHO these two changes are down to Bloom and no one else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here