dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We need to abolish the NHS.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

As someone who's family has benefited from our GP being able to use private hospitals I really can't support the "cause". I agree with GPs being able to choose the healthcare supplier just as long as it remains free at the point of delivery. The difference in NHS and private hospital efficiency is astounding - and not in favour of the NHS !

Do what the Dutch do.

If you want free medical care you will be seen at a local hospital and could be worked on by Junior Doctors. If you wish to have this treatment, you will have agreed that they cannot be sued under any circumstances. They may acknowledge that sometimes mistakes are made and in a few cases there are tragic outcomes. However, no one meant to kill you or chop off the wrong leg etc etc. If you want something for nothing, then your choices are:-

No treatment
State funded healthcare at a university hospital without the right to sue
Pay or let your own private healthcare pay for a senior doctor whom you can take to the cleaners if they f*** up!

The reality of the above is that most doctors we see on the NHS are junior or still in some training role. Sadly sometimes they screw up. The Dutch system ensures that the money they allocate to healthcare is spent on treating patients and training medical staff rather than paying off greedy patrons and fat lawyers.

Do what the Dutch do.

If you want free medical care you will be seen at a local hospital and could be worked on by Junior Doctors. If you wish to have this treatment, you will have agreed that they cannot be sued under any circumstances. They may acknowledge that sometimes mistakes are made and in a few cases there are tragic outcomes. However, no one meant to kill you or chop off the wrong leg etc etc. If you want something for nothing, then your choices are:-

No treatment
Pay or let your own private healthcare pay for a senior doctor whom you can take to the cleaners if they f*** up!

The reality of the above is that most doctors we see on the NHS are junior or still in some training role. Sadly sometimes they screw up. The Dutch system ensures that the money they allocate to healthcare is spent on treating patients and training medical staff rather than paying off greedy patrons and fat lawyers.

I like this idea, not heard it before. I think the current system is a bit too unwieldy - but at the same time I think the proposed changes go too far, and it's not clear who it benefits, apart from the coffers.

We need to abolish the NHS.

I do not like this idea. Can you remind me, would you genuinely completely do away with government health care? The US system (which does have some limited government provision but is far closer to a 'free market') is a bloated inefficient mess, and IMHO we should be moving as far away from that system as possible, not towards it.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I don't really know if what they're trying to do is good or bad, but they've made a right pigs-ear of it either way.

This.

As you say they have made a right pigs ear of it but the OP & others need to come up with alternative & better solution rather than just say no. Something needs to change. We have been complaining about waiting times, too many managers, lack of care & hygiene at some hospitals, denied life extending drugs, higher rates of death from cancers etc, etc for years. As long as it's free at point of use and quality is improved does it really matter if it's a public or private hospital?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why?

funny detail that gets missed, why does it matter? the provision of service is whats important, shirely? Labour has already part privatised most the infrastructure, why is there such a song and dnace about the possiblity of part privatisation of the healthcare services?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Coincidentally, just received this email from a colleage;

"Still waiting in A&E, it's like a bad carry on film in here
NHS well worth saving or what?
Rude unhelpful staff
Old people left in their own pee for hours
Thank heavens for health insurance ****'s consultant has come in and is trying to move her"

Edit: He's just got home after 21 hours in A&E

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Do what the Dutch do.

No treatment

I am a frequent user of NHS resources unfortunately, but I have not seen a junior/less experienced doctor for years - possibly because my condition is serious as I'm being prepared for a kidney transplant, but I don't know if that's true. I do have private heatlh insurance through my work, but not used it yet - but intend to do so when possible for convenience if nothing else (and the food). On the NHS I'm going in to the Princess Royal on Thurs which is not really local to Shoreham, if I go private I could have been much closer to home - but the system these days seems to have "centres" of treatment and you have to travel to get there, don't expect it to be local.

(I'm not talking about my transplant here, that'll be in Guys in London, but that's reasonable for that sort of Op I think).

Jul 20, 2003
yeah in hindsight my support for the NHS is foolish, healthcare should only be available for people who can pay for it, if the poor die off it will reduce the tax burden on the rich

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
yeah in hindsight my support for the NHS is foolish, healthcare should only be available for people who can pay for it, if the poor die off it will reduce the tax burden on the rich

As far as I can see nobody on this thread has suggested not supporting the NHS ( well except one of our resident weirdos, DingDong, who is best ignored anyway ). I personally agree with the reforms - the NHS is currently a cumbersome expensive beast. That doesn't mean I don't support the principle or think the front line staff are useless.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
As someone suffering from a chronic , incurable & expensive to treat condition I am extremely concerned about what the Tories are planning for the NHS. When their business partners have cherry picked the most profitable areas of the service to feast on
people like me will be in an even more vulnerable position.

Jul 20, 2003
As someone suffering from a chronic , incurable & expensive to treat condition I am extremely concerned about what the Tories are planning for the NHS. When their business partners have cherry picked the most profitable areas of the service to feast on people like me will be in an even more vulnerable position.

not unreasonably

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why?

funny detail that gets missed, why does it matter? the provision of service is whats important, shirely? Labour has already part privatised most the infrastructure, why is there such a song and dnace about the possiblity of part privatisation of the healthcare services?

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by privatising 'most' of the infrastructure?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
As someone suffering from a chronic , incurable & expensive to treat condition I am extremely concerned about what the Tories are planning for the NHS. When their business partners have cherry picked the most profitable areas of the service to feast on
people like me will be in an even more vulnerable position.

I fear you have completely misinterpreted the new plans.

It's exactly people in your situation where safeguards have been put in place. What exactly is it about the plans that makes you think you'll be adversely affected?

That aside, has ANYONE here read ANY of the new plans? Or is everyone making their minds up based on scaremongering left wing media?

I'm no tory apologist however I know quite a few people in the medical profession (my wife for one, my uncle, cousin are all doctors, as are a few friends) who have mixed opinions but are broadly in favour of it. Regardless, this is something that needs a good ol' debate and not left-wing propaganda and conjecture crap like that Labour woman on QT last week (who was well and truly shot down). It's an important issue that needs to do away with partisan views and silly political point scoring and prejudice.

The problem is, people get all hot and bothered about the "P" word (which, incidentally, is not what these plans are all about.). Anyway, did you all know YOUR GP is effectively privatised? (privatised under LABOUR no less......)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I fear you have completely misinterpreted the new plans.

It's exactly people in your situation where safeguards have been put in place. What exactly is it about the plans that makes you think you'll be adversely affected?

That aside, has ANYONE here read ANY of the new plans? Or is everyone making their minds up based on scaremongering left wing media?

I'm no tory apologist however I know quite a few people in the medical profession (my wife for one, my uncle, cousin are all doctors, as are a few friends) who have mixed opinions but are broadly in favour of it. Regardless, this is something that needs a good ol' debate and not left-wing propaganda and conjecture crap like that Labour woman on QT last week (who was well and truly shot down). It's an important issue that needs to do away with partisan views and silly political point scoring and prejudice.

The problem is, people get all hot and bothered about the "P" word (which, incidentally, is not what these plans are all about.). Anyway, did you all know YOUR GP is effectively privatised? (privatised under LABOUR no less......)

I suspect that unless you work in the medical services, that you are unlikely to know what the implications of these plans are. Even if most people read them, they are unlikely to understand what the consequences are. Even the professional bodies seem to be in great disagreement about the merits of the changes - although there seem to be more "antis" lately (or maybe they're just louder).

I don't think the government have explained it to the public at all have they ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can you clarify exactly what you mean by privatising 'most' of the infrastructure?

i should have put a "new" in front of that, i mean the PFI/PPP of buildings and new kit is provisioned by private healthcare services already in hospitals. so say your local hospital has a new MRI scanner, it was probably paid for and run by BUPA or similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here