Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keep Harty Get Rid Of Ward Thread

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sign here if you think the Argus should keep Harty's column and not give column inches to the Glory Hunter Johnny come lately Mike Ward

Harty is Through and Through

Ward is a gooner

Signed Dave The gaffer

Lush

Mods' Pet
Can't we have both on alternate weeks? I like Mike Ward and have no problem with the allegiance switch (just another half a million more to convert) although his columns can be a bit slap-dash and full of filler.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Go Harty, Go Hary, GO!

I don't mean I want Harty to go btw, I mean Go Harty! in a good way.

For Harty I mean.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wardy writes a bit like a cub reporter, I am afraid. Which is not necessarily a problem - we can't all be Dostoevsky. It's his D-List celebrity status that grates me.

At least we know Harty is an Albion-loving undertaker. And he does a lot of work for cheridee, but I know he wouldn't want me to mention that.

Jan 15, 2004
This is the most sensible thing you have posted for ages Dave, I normally ignore your other rants but had to agree with you on this one.

Let's start a petition to Bring Back Harty

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dave the gaffer said:
Sign here if you think the Argus should keep Harty's column and not give column inches to the Glory Hunter Johnny come lately Mike Ward

Ward is a gooner

Signed Dave The gaffer

This, from the guy who is a Terrier? :lolol:

I agree with Lush. Alternate would be good.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
So the argus gets rid of the one person most fans can relate to and replaces him with someone who has been a fan for 5 minutes but seems to be the voice of the fans in everything including the match programme.

Incredible

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
How long before we get the 'hilarious' Mike Ward doing the fans phone in?

I did enjoy his book, but methinks he should have left it there. His ubiquity is really starting to wear thin

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Harty is proper a bo Ablion man, whereas I simply can't stand Mike Ward's inane ramblings about his coffee mug or what he did at the weekend. I don't care Mike, Keep it to yourself will ya!

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
dave the gaffer said:

Ward is a gooner

Signed Dave The gaffer

Totaly agree.
BTW, after the Oldham game I think, I was listening after to SCR when they had a report from the Worthing game. Think they won 2-1. The reporter was utter utter tripe. So much it was embarresing. I cant believe SCR or whoever have not got anyone better to report.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If we are to burn Ward on a cross for previously being an Arsenal fan, should we also not burn Harty for previously being a Manchester City fan?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I don't buy the pathetic rag (always used too but it's been awful for years), but Harty is a top bloke and Blue and White right through. He might not have all the poncy writing skills but speaks plainly and with genuine (not new found) passion.

Mike Ward simply irritates me for some reason. Probably because I can't relate to him at all.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Gotta be Harty to stay.

Never forgotten or forgiven Ward for taking the micky out of the REMF raffle prizes at the memorial game in his "highly amusing" book.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
ward's appearances on scr are painful in the extreme, his jokey repartie is painful. growing his empire into the arsegas at the expense of harty is a very poor decision!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Does Harty want to stay?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Pethick's Haircut said:

Never forgotten or forgiven Ward for taking the micky out of the REMF raffle prizes at the memorial game in his "highly amusing" book.

Although I seem to remember Ian Hart, who was kindly drawing the half-time REMF raffle, making comments along the lines of "it doesn't get any better than this" during some of the "less-attractive" prizes, so I don't think we can be too precious about this.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good point, Yorkie - though I hope it is his decision, his column was much better than some you read in local papers around the country.

However, can someone explain to me why Mike Ward is a glory-hunter? Arsenal are top of the Premiership and in the knockout stages of the Champions League. We are in the Second Division. Opportunist, maybe. But hardly a glory hunter.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
It seems I was one of the few who found the book vaguely amusing - although it's been downhill since there, the program column is (was?) dire

Lush

Mods' Pet
Give the guy a break. All he's saying is that he enjoys the passion and ups and downs of supporting Brighton more than the plastic Gooners.

Perhaps he should learn to say "no" occasionally, although if you're a journalist with a family to support I can understand why you might want to do every writing/radio/TV job you can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here