Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just mowed through my lawnmower cable !

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
they are usually sealed units - new mower or long grass?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
right though it or just cut into the rubber? i did the latter and simply wrapped insulation tape around it and it's been fine for 3 years now. Just treat it a bit carefully...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They will have special waterproof joiners at Homebase. ( This doesn't happen very often.) :facepalm:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Not a sealed unit. Have screwed the back off and its pretty much like the back of a plug. Was thinking that as most of the cable is still attached to the plug end i could just wire it in. But was looking for advice as dont want to eletrocute myself as its such a nice day.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Borrow some sheep from a certain Welsh football club.

Job done dot dot dot dot

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
right though it or just cut into the rubber? i did the latter and simply wrapped insulation tape around it and it's been fine for 3 years now. Just treat it a bit carefully...

Treat especially carefully if you cut your grass when it is damp...electrocution is a bad way to die.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
i work for one of the major DIY retailers.... approach the shop where you purchased the mower. If they are unable to provide you with an exact match or an equally good equivalent then the only option would be go direct to the manufacturers

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its one of thoes questions, if you dont already know how fix the electrical item, then you should replace completely.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If in doubt , leave it out !!! unless you're a confident sparky its not worth the risk of killing yourself.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sell the mower to a Palace fan ? :wink:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
vq65v.jpg

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not a sealed unit. Have screwed the back off and its pretty much like the back of a plug. Was thinking that as most of the cable is still attached to the plug end i could just wire it in. But was looking for advice as dont want to eletrocute myself as its such a nice day.

We bought a new mower two weeks ago. TRHK Jnr mowed right through the power cable before half the lawn was mown for the first time. Lost about 6 foot of cable but unscrewed the handle (Flymo 350) and used the remaining length of cable. Shorter but works fine. As you say, it's little more complicated than a plug.

PS Sent back the new cable ordered from espares and saved £15!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
its one of thoes questions, if you dont already know how fix the electrical item, then you should replace completely.

This is of course true too. It's not complicated and I made a very careful check of the cable to make sure there were no other nicks or cuts. I removed the few feet of flex still attached to the mower, cleaned up the end of the cable attached to the plug and screwed back into the handle. If you have a Flymo, you can buy spare cables from them or from espares.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here