Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how beautiful is Falmer?

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
A common thread seems to be emerging in recent media coverage, and that is the impression that Falmer is actually beautiful! Could not someone put together a quick document with piccies which can be handed to the media-sceptics to show them the truth? I realise this aspect was well covered in the public enquiry, but to the likes of Meridian's journos, words of one syllable, and PICTURES are needed. In their defence (and it's not a very good one), they are looking at this as a "Big Corporate Developper" vs "Poor little put upon villagers" issue, and not bothering to understand the real issues. They need help - abusing them will only lead to an entrenched position.

Stunning. Tumbleweed anyone?

bton-falmer_road-01.jpg

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
With the stadium

stadiumoct15.jpg

Sea

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
After living there last year its been the general opinion of the people i spoke to that it will best be used for something like a stadium, not a field which is just mud for half the year round!

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Over the last twenty-five years or so I've walked extensively on the Downs around Sussex, and currently work a day a week as a volunteer helping to preserve the unique chalk grassland they represent, and I can categorically state, hand on heart, that Village Way North and/or South and the surrounding area would be greatly enhanced by the building of the stadium. I know I'm an Albion supporter, and therefore would have to be suspected of bias, but I genuinely can't see any reason at all not to build there.

I love the Downs, and they're a massively important ecological asset which has been largely lost in England, but I simply couldn't give a monkeys about a ploughed field in a built-up area next to the main East-West railway link in the county and a f***-off great arterial road system.

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Well said :clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Shit, Wrong picture, This is the one I was meant to post
X535000Y108500S10000W500H310.jpg

I doubt Prescott has seen this picture? If he did then he would laugh of the local planning inspector report.

It would look lovely there.

Last edited:

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
great thread, new to nsc but that was enlightening ....we dont get many pictures og ploughed fields in the press over here..... i used to love the pub at falmer (late seventies) but nothing else, oh ....how far away is stanmer park?! i forgot the pantomine at the gardener arts centre was also a highlight!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Seagull's Return said:
Over the last twenty-five years or so I've walked extensively on the Downs around Sussex, and currently work a day a week as a volunteer helping to preserve the unique chalk grassland they represent, and I can categorically state, hand on heart, that Village Way North and/or South and the surrounding area would be greatly enhanced by the building of the stadium. I know I'm an Albion supporter, and therefore would have to be suspected of bias, but I genuinely can't see any reason at all not to build there.

I love the Downs, and they're a massively important ecological asset which has been largely lost in England, but I simply couldn't give a monkeys about a ploughed field in a built-up area next to the main East-West railway link in the county and a f***-off great arterial road system.
Well said! It would be interesting to know how many of the so-called residents of Falmer actually live there. I believe that many of the properties are second homes. Naturally Charles Hoile identified fully with these people in his fair and balanced report. You have to protect quasi villages with dual carriageways running through them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Little villagers- yep, welcome to Royston Vasey, a local village for local people.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
There are a number of people who work out on the Falmer site at the uni with whom i am having a discussion on our messageboard this week. They seem to think it's beautiful, especially in the summer when they are standing waiting for the bus.

They seem to have the impression that the stadium will be a constant trouble spot and that their every dayworking lives will be ruined.

I've told them otherwise but they are very set in their thoughts that the stadium will bring nothing but trouble.

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
There are a number of people who work out on the Falmer site at the uni with whom i am having a discussion on our messageboard this week. They seem to think it's beautiful, especially in the summer when they are standing waiting for the bus.

They seem to have the impression that the stadium will be a constant trouble spot and that their every dayworking lives will be ruined.

I've told them otherwise but they are very set in their thoughts that the stadium will bring nothing but trouble.

I hope you told them

1. Most games are on Saturday a non-working day for most Uni staff

2. As a result of the ground there will be improved bus and rail services

3.If local people had had the same thoughts about the negative impact of the University in the 1960's Congestion, increase cars, urban blight on the landscape, hordes of Militant Students...don't forget there was a riot there in 1967), they would not now have a job

4. That their wankers

LC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here