Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from Swindon- for those that wernt there....

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Great win today for the lads. Another big away following which im sure surprised the new lads, especially the foreigners. Good overall performance. Solid at the back albeit for the late goal they scored. On todays viewing i cant see us conceding many and we still have Greer suspended to so very promising.

The only negative i would say was that despite two goals id still say we are a little lightweight up front. We didnt seem to have two much going forward however im well aware Murray was missing and Gus is still searching for a new striker so im not at all concerned with that.

Positives from the new signings are of course Matt Sparrow. Top drawer finish for the first and a calm collected second goal. Kilishev looked ok and will improve with Fitness. The new goalie didnt have a great deal to do but seemed to have a decent presence. Couldnt fault his distribution.

All in all a good day out and a great 3 points. Would have been happy with a drawer so ultimately delighted with the win.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'd be happy with a drawer as I've got lots of socks with nowhere to put them.

seagull3655

Jan 3, 2010
What a far cry from the early part of last season where we looked like we were going to conceed a hatful every week

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Some very amusing English language mistakes there, thanks!

Good to read the pov too, only wish I was there - and certainly looking forward to seeing us play next week :albion:

In retrospect yes your right however i have been on the pop since 1030 this morning so forgive me

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just got home.

Greer will have a tough time breaking in to that back four! Swindon very rarely managed to get behind us which is a great sign, and their efforts on goal were restricted to a couple of scrambles from free kicks and corners. I think the main factor in the game was our midfield, the three in the middle ran the game and Swindon weren't allowed to impose themselves on us.

As an attacking force Barnes was used as the target for the midfielders to run off of, and because of that he spent most of the time with his back to goal. He played alright without ever really looking like scoring himself. 4-5-1 was always going to be the formation today with Murray missing, but as I said it allowed our midfield to dominate.

Reasonable turn out, 10,000+ in the ground with 1000ish from Brighton. A very good win against one of the fancied teams.

Ankergren 7. Steady, could have been sent off late on but will be good competition for Brez. Good kicking.

Calderon 7. Great to see him back, flair coming forward, covered well by Elphick when he did.

Elphick 8. My man of the match, won everything and some brillo 'ave it' tackles.

El-Abd 7. Never out of position, didn't put a foot wrong. Greer will surely start on the bench.

Painter 7. Excellent defensively, solid.

Bennett 6. Quiet start for Elliott, on the receiving end of some hefty tackles.

Sparrow 8. Box to box, great energy and two quality goals. Dream start to his Albion career.

Navarro 7. Broke up the Swindon attacks effectively, and played simple passes. Made it easy for the defence.

Kishishev 7. Used his experience to nullify everything Swindon played forward. The midfield three played very well as a unit, when he tired Dicker came in and we looked equally effective.

Smith 6. Great energy but didn't convince me that he is the left sided solution. That said he won't let us down until we sign Lualua/Monkhouse/Grant/whoever...

Barnes 6. Lived off scraps a little, but held up the ball well at times. He did a good job for the team as I don't think he's really a lone striker.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just got home.

Greer will have a tough time breaking in to that back four! Swindon very rarely managed to get behind us which is a great sign, and their efforts on goal were restricted to a couple of scrambles from free kicks and corners. I think the main factor in the game was our midfield, the three in the middle ran the game and Swindon weren't allowed to impose themselves on us.

As an attacking force Barnes was used as the target for the midfielders to run off of, and because of that he spent most of the time with his back to goal. He played alright without ever really looking like scoring himself. 4-5-1 was always going to be the formation today with Murray missing, but as I said it allowed our midfield to dominate.

Reasonable turn out, 10,000+ in the ground with 1000ish from Brighton. A very good win against one of the fancied teams.

Ankergren 7. Steady, could have been sent off late on but will be good competition for Brez. Good kicking.

Calderon 7. Great to see him back, flair coming forward, covered well by Elphick when he did.

Elphick 8. My man of the match, won everything and some brillo 'ave it' tackles.

El-Abd 7. Never out of position, didn't put a foot wrong. Greer will surely start on the bench.

Painter 7. Excellent defensively, solid.

Bennett 6. Quiet start for Elliott, on the receiving end of some hefty tackles.

Sparrow 8. Box to box, great energy and two quality goals. Dream start to his Albion career.

Navarro 7. Broke up the Swindon attacks effectively, and played simple passes. Made it easy for the defence.

Kishishev 7. Used his experience to nullify everything Swindon played forward. The midfield three played very well as a unit, when he tired Dicker came in and we looked equally effective.

Smith 6. Great energy but didn't convince me that he is the left sided solution. That said he won't let us down until we sign Lualua/Monkhouse/Grant/whoever...

Barnes 6. Lived off scraps a little, but held up the ball well at times. He did a good job for the team as I don't think he's really a lone striker.

I think that is quite a fair reveiw of the game.

I would add that I was a little worried as we tired in the last 10 minutes and I thought that we might concede another goal. but full credit to the defence for holding it together..

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Great win today for the lads. Another big away following which im sure surprised the new lads, especially the foreigners. Good overall performance. Solid at the back albeit for the late goal they scored. On todays viewing i cant see us conceding many and we still have Greer suspended to so very promising.

The only negative i would say was that despite two goals id still say we are a little lightweight up front. We didnt seem to have two much going forward however im well aware Murray was missing and Gus is still searching for a new striker so im not at all concerned with that.

Positives from the new signings are of course Matt Sparrow. Top drawer finish for the first and a calm collected second goal. Kilishev looked ok and will improve with Fitness. The new goalie didnt have a great deal to do but seemed to have a decent presence. Couldnt fault his distribution.

All in all a good day out and a great 3 points. Would have been happy with a drawer so ultimately delighted with the win.

thanks 4 that gr8 post

just wondering did swindon have any chances to draw level ?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Thought there was a lot more than a thousand Brighton fans?

Kish didn't look quite as composed as he did against Aberdeen but Dicker did very well when he came on for him.

Sparrow's goals were first class. Great vision and strike for the first and composure and accuracy for the second.

Thought we looked quite nervous and didn't get into our passing rhythm too often.

Have no doubts Greer will be straight in for El-abd, who did well but isn't as good on the ball as Greer is meant to be.

Really thought this was a nailed on draw, so am delighted with the 3 points :clap2:

Can't wait for Rochdale (it's been a while since I looked forward quite so much to a game at Withdean)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nearer 1400 I would think as the 1200 were sold in the covered section plus perhaps 200 in the open section behind the goal. Agree that Greer will come in for Adam El Abd, bit tough on him but he will be a very useful sub to have and back up for suspensions etc.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
thanks 4 that gr8 post

just wondering did swindon have any chances to draw level ?

There was a scramble in the box right near the end that had all of us a bit scared I think, other than that the defence was solid enough to keep their attack at bay. Good signs indeed baring in mind this time last year we were leaking goals for fun as someone mentioned above.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Thought there was a lot more than a thousand Brighton fans?

I'd estimate it at 1500, given that we sold out the 1200 in the Arkell Stand, and there were a few hundred of us behind the goal, I'd have thought.

Excellent day, good support, classy performance from the lads and a welcome three points we thoroughly deserved. :bhasign:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would have to say Sparrow as MOM for his 2 goals and his cover across and up and down the pitch. Involved in everything. Add two quality goals to end excellent passing movements - better than anything I remember last year!
Most enjoyable performance for me was el Abd who tackled, ran and shouted non-stop for 95 minutes

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
There was a scramble in the box right near the end that had all of us a bit scared I think, other than that the defence was solid enough to keep their attack at bay. Good signs indeed baring in mind this time last year we were leaking goals for fun as someone mentioned above.

thanks . glad to hear our defence is solid plus we have greer to come back .
things are looking up

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Great day out, thanks to Mr Notters for the lift and banannman for for letting me know about it.

Saw loads of old mates and NSC types and pleased to meet mr everybody (ah now I know the bus) and his mrs, Lucy. They came down from Derby so look forward to seeing them on the road again sometime.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
[QUOTE

I'd estimate it at 1500, given that we sold out the 1200 in the Arkell Stand, and there were a few hundred of us behind the goal, I'd have thought.QUOTE]

Not quite sure if there were a few hundred behind the goal, great noise though!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here