Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just Emailed The Argus Letters Page About Brighton's Death Trap Trains

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
(Here's what I sent the Argus lettrs page- let's see if they got the balls to print it unedited - 'Privatised Railways Are The Enemy Of The People' Grrr....)

'The implications of the serious problems with the new trains on the Brighton-London line, namely that the doors don’t work, go far beyond individual commuters being half an hour late for work at least once a week. The question should be asked now, while there’s still time: if the door mechanism has been proved to be utterly unreliable under normal operating conditions, how on earth could an overcrowded rush-hour train be safely evacuated in the event of an on-board fire or other ‘incident’. I’d suggest that the management of the train operating company (sorry, I forget what they’re calling themselves this week) had better have a very good answer which they’d perhaps be kind enough to share with their captive cash cow. Preferably before they find themselves in court on corporate manslaughter charges.'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why don't you save your energy and stop slagging off train operators - they are doing the best with the money available.

Any new train will always have problems at first but better than the current slam door crap.

Also forget corporate manslaughter it will never happen and has been proved in previous attempts to take people to courrt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Beach Hut said:
Why don't you save your energy and stop slagging off train operators - they are doing the best with the money available.

Any new train will always have problems at first but better than the current slam door crap.

Also forget corporate manslaughter it will never happen and has been proved in previous attempts to take people to courrt.

Disagree. If there's a fire on board my train I want myself and my fellow traveller - somebody's husband/wife/daughter/son/neighbour to be able to get out. I'd hope you'd want the same thing too. On a lesser level I don't want my train driver taking ten minutes rebooting the software at every station between Brighton and Victoria. For my sins I have spent the last couple of months commuting between BN1 and Bromley South (seven more weeks to go - woo-hoo! - then they they can stick their death traps up their privatised arses for the rest of the Summer).

The trains on the Kent line very rarely have door problems. With the trains on the Sussex side it's Russian roulette at every single station. Will the doors open/close? Will the thing be taken out of service? The trains on the Kent/Sussex sides of the line look pretty damn similar. Guess one operator has paid for the software upgrade and one hasn't aye? If they were nationalised at least there'd be a sharing of information.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I travel M - F every day and have no issues with the railway what so ever.

The doors will open it's just teething problems.

skr80

Oct 9, 2003
Beach Hut said:

I prefer the old trains to the new ones - much comfier....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Beach Hut said:
I travel M - F every day and have no issues with the railway what so ever.

The doors will open it's just teething problems.

There's REALLY no need to call me a M - F :(

And we'll draw a BIG FAT VEIL over that late night post from a tired, emotional and temporarily disillusioned rail manager from about a month back then...

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tom Hark said:
There's REALLY no need to call me a M - F :(

And we'll draw a BIG FAT VEIL over that late night post from a tired, emotional and temporarily disillusioned rail manager from about a month back then...

No we won't as I don't work for a rail company. I work for a public quoted company (in France) and the sector I'm in supplies services / products to the rail industry.

:p

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Beach Hut said:
No we won't as I don't work for a rail company. I work for a public quoted company (in France) and the sector I'm in supplies services / products to the rail industry.

:p

That's ME told then :blush: :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's OK - however I don't retract that thread still pi$$ed off with work :lolol: :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tom Hark said:
You and me both. Work is SHITE - Fact! :lol:

It's a love / hate relationship at present.

Something will happen, new job maybe who knows ?

Don't blame Southern (formerly known as South Central) for these trains. Blame Connex. They specified them. They ordered them. And then they failed to win the franchise to operate them.

But in fairness to Connex (not a thought that has EVER crossed my mind previously) ... someone should be questioning the SRA and Network Rail (formerly known as Railtrack) and the manufacturers and the Rolling Stock Leasing Company about why these trains fail to be fit for purpose in so many ways.

So many organisations ... so many opportunities to pass the buck. That's why THPP is fundamentally right. If we'd seen these problems ten years ago, at least we'd have known who was to blame - an organisation called British Rail.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think the biggest issue is power drawn.

New trains have electric doors, CCTV, air conditioning etc and draw far more power.

As with any PC based system a malfunction is resolved with a re-boot.

I agree there should have been dialogue between Connex and Railtrack (as was)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Having started off a Railway career that then moved into the private sector I suppose, at the end of the day, I'll always hold the Railways deer to my heart.

Sliding doors is fine with me

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Beach Hut said:

Once upon a time I had quite an easy-going relationship with them too. Although if I hadn't taken them for granted they might not have needed to take revenge by turning into The Foot-eating Monsters of Platform 6.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
When I used to use First North Western trains a lot they got the new sliding door trains in.

I really wouldn't have minded them

if only the bladdering things had shitting well worked.

Beach Hut said:

f***ing SHIT film. Gwyneth Paltrow is UGLY.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
The best thing they could do in this country is rip up every single rail and relay, start over again or just build a new high speed link between all the cities and get some TGV's on the buggers. Whether we like it or not the French TGV makes our trains look stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here