Just A Rumour

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Leeds are meant to be looking at 3 Brighton players:

Sam Rents 20 Year old attacking Left Back
Adam El-Abd 23 Year old Right back / Centre half
Tommy Fraser 20 Year old midfielder

What are they like? I've heard no mention of prices or anything, but we are meant to be signing a lot more youngsters?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Rents has got a great left foot and is developing into a decent player. The defensive side of his game is improving, and he had a strong finish to last season

El-Abd has been in and around the first team for a few years now. He can play right-back, but is more effective in a central position (defense or midfield). He's a tough tackler and certainly takes no prisoners! Most would admit he doesn't exactly brim with quality, but he does give great commitment.

Fraser, in my opinion, is quite over-rated. He's a reasonably good passer and can tackle to an extent, but for me that's just about his limit. He can't shoot and can't really cross. Obviously still has a very long way to go.

All in all, they're players that still have a way to go. I think out of all of them, Rents would probably be the best bet.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
None of those three should be let go for less than 150k.

Rents would probably command the highest fee, young left footed player good delivery. Not physical enough atm though.

El abd- quality defender in the centre I thought he performed well at times in midfield last season despite receiving a lot of criticism. Always gives 100% few unfortunate incidents involving alcohol and fall outs would probably reduce fee but would be gutted to see him leave.

Fraser- Central midfielder constantly played as a right winger last year, needs to toughen up to play midfield but certainly got great work ethic and tidy passing.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Fraser, in my opinion, is quite over-rated. He's a reasonably good passer and can tackle to an extent, but for me that's just about his limit. He can't shoot and can't really cross. Obviously still has a very long way to go.

I would say it is very harsh to judge Fraser until he has been playing in his preferred position of central midfield. He is not a right sided player, but a holding midfielder.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why is it that nobody is ever looking at Mayo? We really don't want to lose Rents. He is a superb prospect.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If we got a decent offer for Rents, he would go, and we would have another year of Mayo, with Cobbs in the young pretender role.

BUT. Leeds are not allowed to sign any players at the moment anyway.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'd be gutted if Rents went to a rival team from this division, he could be a key player for us next year, he was showing signs of having a great cross and dead ball ability.

We could ill afford to lose Adam El-Abd either given that he can provide cover in quite a few positions, I wouldn't have him in my starting 11 at the moment but he would be a useful player to have on the bench.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I would say it is very harsh to judge Fraser until he has been playing in his preferred position of central midfield. He is not a right sided player, but a holding midfielder.

Well I would say there are aspects of his play that suggest he's got quite a long way to go as a footballer in general. He is a decent passer, but what does he do apart from that?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Leeds are genuinely chasing these three players, then it says very little for their ambitions of getting out of this league.

No offence intended to the three players involved, but you would expect Leeds to be aiming rather higher.

Lets face it, not one of them is even first choice here, at a club that finished just above the drop zone last season.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Well I would say there are aspects of his play that suggest he's got quite a long way to go as a footballer in general. He is a decent passer, but what does he do apart from that?

In the position that Fraser should be playing he needs to do nothing more than have a good positional sense, be reasonably fit, tackle and pass. From what I've seen he has the ability to make a quality central midfielder. He has great energy but everything is wasted on the right (apart from the odd decent cross) because he cannot run at speed and take players on.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I understand what a central holding midfielder's job is, but of all the youth teamers we have had in the side this year, Fraser has impressed me the least. We have several players who can play holiding midfield that I would have above Fraser in the pecking order. Needless to say, if Bertin signs, Fraser's opportunities could be quite limited.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I understand what a central holding midfielder's job is, but of all the youth teamers we have had in the side this year, Fraser has impressed me the least. We have several players who can play holiding midfield that I would have above Fraser in the pecking order. Needless to say, if Bertin signs, Fraser's opportunities could be quite limited.

Very true although I dont think he's ready for a full season playing central midfield as I really dont think he's quite physical enough yet. I think Fraser could learn a lot from Bertin actually, not that we seem to have much of a chance of signing him!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In the position that Fraser should be playing he needs to do nothing more than have a good positional sense, be reasonably fit, tackle and pass. From what I've seen he has the ability to make a quality central midfielder. He has great energy but everything is wasted on the right (apart from the odd decent cross) because he cannot run at speed and take players on.

I would have agreed with that prior to the Oldham match. But I watched the warm-ups before the game - and the subs were pinging the ball at each other. He has a really poor first touch, I mean really poor. I was so disappointed as he has as you say great energy, but he needs to be able to control the ball easily to give himself time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I would suggest that when he has filled out a bit he will be more comfortable in the centre of midfield.

He is yet to play in his strongest position, so I think it is very hard to pass too much judgement on him.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I would suggest that when he has filled out a bit he will be more comfortable in the centre of midfield.

He is yet to play in his strongest position, so I think it is very hard to pass too much judgement on him.

I think when he has filled out he will be more useful, maybe that's the reason his contribution is quite limited at the moment? With regards to the "strongest position" thing, its fair enough if you don't think players should be able to adapt to other positions as well. But Cox, for example, has played all across the midfield and up front last season and came second in the PoS.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Leeds are meant to be looking at 3 Brighton players:

Sam Rents 20 Year old attacking Left Back
Adam El-Abd 23 Year old Right back / Centre half
Tommy Fraser 20 Year old midfielder

What are they like? I've heard no mention of prices or anything, but we are meant to be signing a lot more youngsters?

Produce your own players. Leave ours alone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here