Jury Service: Bunch of Arse

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Monday: Stuck in waiting room all day until 4 then sent home

Tuesday: Stuck in waiting room all day until 4 then sent home

Wednesday: Stuck in waiting room until 3 when jury panel formed, sat around outside court room for an hour and a half until the accused changed plea to guilty and so sent some

Thursday: Stuck in waiting room until midday, trial then started but was halted when defendant burst into tears and had to wait half an hour for defendant to calm down. All evidence seen by 4pm. Took 0.3 milliseconds to reach a verdict

Friday: Jury formed at 9.30 for Murder trial, sat around for two hours and then sent home after plea changed to guilty

Cost to taxpayer £ ?????

Lost earnings £ Too much

Only consolation was the barrister for the defence was a fox

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I thought you still got paid if you had to do jury service?

If thats the case then i can't wait 3 weeks off work.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The amount they pay you is about £50 a day gross, but only if your employer refuses to pay you for attending jury service

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
EP Sounds just like my experience 12 months ago (posted on your previous Jury thread!)

Glamorous - it ain't!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
El Presidente said:

Only consolation was the barrister for the defence was a fox

Did you discuss MA and La Manga :rolleyes:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My Dad has done it this week as well down in Brighton and he sat on a case where two lads from Moulscombe were accused of nicking some fags, but then it has been referred to Lewis crown court because something the barister wanted leaving out of the jury's transcript was left in on one copy.
My dads firm kept paying him but a bit cheeky really.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Richie Morris said:
My Dad has done it this week as well down in Brighton and he sat on a case where two lads from Moulscombe were accused of nicking some fags, but then it has been referred to Lewis crown court because something the barister wanted leaving out of the jury's transcript was left in on one copy.
My dads firm kept paying him but a bit cheeky really.

More to the point, how much is that course in Journalism costing the tax-payer?

:lolol:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
strike95 said:
They asked my mum as soon as she was 18. I am 18 years 3 months, no criminal record, but they have not asked me at all.

Because they know you are too busy putting in hard work to become a Youth MP and thus make the country a better place for under 18s.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ive not been asked . .my boss did it last year and he's 50 odd . . . .god knows what kind of windows programme selscts who, when and where, but is an odd one!

seriously I'd have thought they'd go for a mix of older and younger people to get an even opinion/spread ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like onion jam . . .delicious . . . especially on a nice bit o cheese . . . could affect my moral jusgement in court though . . .maybe thats why I havent been called up :lolol:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
El Presidente said:
The amount they pay you is about £50 a day gross, but only if your employer refuses to pay you for attending jury service

Really? My mum had to do jury service, and her employer was told he legally had to still pay her while she wasn't there for it...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Richie Morris said:
Lush, not a penny. I am paying for it either myself or through an employed placement. In a months time a tax doger I will be no more.

Tax doger? Is that something to do with Stan Collymore?

Albion Rob

A lot of people I have spoken to about jury service reckon it is a farce. My girlfriend's mum was on a jury at a nasty rape trial, she reckons the verdict was swung by the fact some people formed an opinion and argued it better. Bit worrying really.

Having said that, imagine the pressure sitting on a jury like Graham Coutts or Sarah Payne. Everyone desperate they will be found guilty. The Coutts one was odd because it took the jury almost two days to decide, then the judge called them in and said he would accept a majority verdict. Five minute later they had returned a unanimous guilty. Clearly someone thought he was innocent, or at least couldn't convict him beyond all reasonable doubt, but obviously didn't fancy it being in the papers that the majority was 11-1.

I still think trial by jury is the fairest way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here