Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Sergeant to pull out of Strictly Come Dancing

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Breaking news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7737447.stm

Former political journalist John Sergeant has decided to pull out of the BBC One show Strictly Come Dancing.

The 64-year-old has received strong support from the public since the show started, but the judges have been critical of his dancing.

In a statement, he said: "The trouble is that there is now a real danger that I might win the competition. Even for me that would be a joke too far."

It has been announced he will return on Saturday's show for a "farewell dance".
Strictly judge Arlene Phillips said: "I'm always sad if a contestant leaves of choice, because you are always expecting to let the public vote them in or out - but John is his own person and he has his own reasons for doing this.

When asked if she felt responsible for his departure, she said: "Not really. If you look back, we've actually been quite nice on this programme."

Phillips pointed out it was not been the first time a weak dancer had been backed by the public over the professionals.

And she admitted Sergeant had provided many "funny, funny moments".
She added: "Last week's performance was an improved performance. There wasn't a judge who didn't say that."

In his statement, Sergeant, who was partnered with Russian dancer Kristina Rihanoff said: "I am sorry to say I have decided to leave Strictly Come Dancing.

"It was always my intention to have fun on the show and I was hoping to stay in as long as possible."

The former journalist said he would like "thank Kristina and all those viewers who have been rooting for me through the series".
BBC One controller Jay Hunt added: "We are very sad to see him go."

'Outstanding'

Two weeks ago, judges turned on Sergeant, giving his cha-cha-cha, a mere 12 points out of the possible 40.

Arlene Phillips said the broadcaster was "outstanding at dancing really badly".

Craig Revel Horwood gave Sergeant the lowest possible score - one point - and said his dancing was a "disaster".

However, last week the professionals all agreed the broadcaster's timing had improved after he danced the American Smooth.

Bruno Tonioli said the performance was "surprisingly appealing" and Phillips said he was "quite endearing".

Chief judge Len Goodman decreed that it was his "best performance" so far. Altogether Sergeant scored 25 - his personal best after the first nine weeks of the series.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Please tell me we don't need to sticky a thread about the sodding dancing to stop others posting the news :D

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He's quite happy to sit back and watch now

grand.11.jpg

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Not that I really give one hoot either way but.....

I hope the BBC are now going to repay all those people who wasted their money on bothering to phone in and vote for him and that all the judges that decided that they are greater than the british public be sacked and never darken our TV's ever again.

But hey they wont and wwe will be back to the arrogance of TV presenters again thinking that just becasue you are on TV it makes you special as opposed to lucky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here