Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Inverdale

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Does anyone know what has happened to John Inverdale, the seemingly ex BBC Sports presenter.

He presented just about every sports programme for BBC and I have just noticed that he is not at the Olympics. And that made me realise that he is never seen these days.

Anyone know what has happened to him?

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
He's probably there for radio 5. He did the Open golf coverage for radio 5 and would presume he's their main man in Athens.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He has been presenting for Five Live non-stop at the Olympics.

Did anyone hear Alan Green talking about living with a bloke for eleven years this morning after the rowing final? I never knew he was a chutney ferret, always just thought he was an arse, not a wide arse.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
thanks for the info...it makes sense him on radio 5...he never did have a face for TV:lolol:

El Presidente said:
He has been presenting for Five Live non-stop at the Olympics.

Did anyone hear Alan Green talking about living with a bloke for eleven years this morning after the rowing final? I never knew he was a chutney ferret, always just thought he was an arse, not a wide arse.

He's married with 2 kids according to this...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/presenters/green_biog.shtml

Ezekiel Rowe

Apr 23, 2004
Don't forget Inverdale presents Britain's Strongest Man...which is shit.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would also add that IMHO John Inverdale is the best sports presenter on TV or radio at present by quite a distance. Clear, concise, witty and informative without being patronising or blinding you with stats.

When you think of the brainless, blow-wave harstyled perm-tan orange faces that ITV puts out, and the 'shock, horror' tabloid style presenters on Sky who can't stop shouting, Inverdale is quality all round.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Large One said:
I would also add that IMHO John Inverdale is the best sports presenter on TV or radio at present by quite a distance. Clear, concise, witty and informative without being patronising or blinding you with stats.

When you think of the brainless, blow-wave harstyled perm-tan orange faces that ITV puts out, and the 'shock, horror' tabloid style presenters on Sky who can't stop shouting, Inverdale is quality all round.
Can we assume you like him then????

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's just that the vast majority of the others are the sort of people you would have picked last in playground football at school, AFTER the kid with the fishbowl glasses and broken arm, but nowadays would come up to you in a pub while you're drinking a pint, asking 'so, you're drinking a pint then...?'

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He was an excellent compere for the Sussex CCC celebration lunch at the Dome in March. Although he's a Surrey man, he gave every impression that he was sharing in Sussex's success as if he was a Sussex man through and through. A true professional in my opinion.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
He's been on Fivelive wall to wall during the Olympics. In my opinion Fivelive have by far the best presenters on any broadcating channel bar none.

BTW I really enjoy the whispering commentary that Alan Green does for golf. Will look forward to him being at teh Ryder Cup next month

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
ILOVEBHA said:
Who knows what happened to Roger black.He was always the BBC man for athletics then he vanished about 2 years ago.Where too?????

He's been overtaken by Michael Johnson. Just like in the Olympics!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For smooth, professional, understated authority and a bloke who lets the experts do the talking, I don't think there are many around better than Steve Rider, but he seems to be pretty much exclusively used for golf nowadays. Its a shame Lineker seems to be so firmly entrenched with MOTD now, his dreadful puns and toadying to Hansen is really beginning to grate, I think Rider could do a far better job.

Linekers latest "gem" on Saturday after Chelseas win at Brum:

"I think we could have a new catchphrase now....one-nil to the Chelsea" :nono:

Last edited:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
chips and gravy said:
BTW I really enjoy the whispering commentary that Alan Green does for golf. Will look forward to him being at teh Ryder Cup next month

Green's rowing commentaries have been excellent as well. It's just a shame that he has such a chip on his shoulder when it comes to football as he has lost the plot and shouldn't go near a footy match again.

I never thought I'd say this but give me Brighton resident Jonathan Pearce any day - he has really improved since he moved to the beeb and has a good all round football knowledge - not just premier league. He is a Brizzel City fan but has been very supportive of the Albion and Falmer on five live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here