Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel Lynch International Call Up??

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Sorry if fixtures but Wales must be desperate!!

BBC Sport - Wales call up Nottingham Forests Joel Lynch for Mexico clash

Wales call up Nottingham Forest's Joel Lynch for Mexico clash
Wales have added Nottingham Forest defender Joel Lynch to the Wales squad heading for New York to play Mexico on Sunday, 27 May.

Uncapped Lynch qaulifies through his Barry-born father and has replaced Blackpool's Neal Eardley.

Lynch, 24, a team-mate of Wales defender Chris Gunter, made his Championship debut with Brighton while a youth player in 2006.

He joined Forest from the Seagulls midway through the 2008-09 season.

Lynch was not on the stand-by list when Chris Coleman's squad was announced on 10 May, but he joins a Wales squad including Craig Bellamy for the trip to America.

The player's profile on the Nottingham Forest website states his nationality as English, but the Football Association of Wales have confirmed his Welsh heritage.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mentioned last night, yes. Good for Denzil - hope he does well.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Great News.

two local lads now getting international call ups 3 if you include Barry

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Definitely harsh to say it's desperate. He's had a good season like Bridcutt in the same division. Really pleased for him. He really struggled to get in at Forest but has turned it round in a tough division.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Scotland and Wales really are a complete f***ing joke at the moment with their scouting of English players with distant foreign heritage.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Scotland and Wales really are a complete f***ing joke at the moment with their scouting of English players with distant foreign heritage.

Lynch's FATHER was born in Wales. Its not really 'distant' is it?

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Lynch's FATHER was born in Wales. Its not really 'distant' is it?

Ok, in this case it might not be too bad. However Lynch was bought up in England and I don't doubt for a minute that he considers himself English. Playing for Wales or Scotland is just an easy way to get a stab at international football.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It has taken him a long time to drop the billy big bollocks attitude and learn to harness his undoubted skills as a professional footballer. It looks like he is finally realising his potential - i hope he continues to do well. If Gus had been here when Joel was coming through he would have already been a full international I'm sure.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ok, in this case it might not be too bad. However Lynch was bought up in England and I don't doubt for a minute that he considers himself English. Playing for Wales or Scotland is just an easy way to get a stab at international football.

Not 'too' bad?

He has ONE Welsh parent, and ONE English parent. He is as Welsh as he is English.

It like people earlier in the week claiming that El Abd's Egyptian heritage was tenuous - again his Dad is Egyptian.

Why shouldn't they embrace that part of their background? Its not like either of them are ever going to play for England.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It has taken him a long time to drop the billy big bollocks attitude and learn to harness his undoubted skills as a professional footballer. It looks like he is finally realising his potential - i hope he continues to do well. If Gus had been here when Joel was coming through he would have already been a full international I'm sure.

What billy big bollocks attitude was that?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What billy big bollocks attitude was that?

the one that made him too big to play out of position for us or to fight for his place and the one that meant he struggled for his first two years at Forest where he reportedly thought he should be a first team shoe-in (not a view agreed by successive managers) - this season he has made the breakthrough and my friends in Nottingham suggest it is through "knuckling down and letting his football do the talking instead of his lip"

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
John Lynch is a headteacher at a Brighton primary school and may have been born in Wales but isnt Welsh!! Having said that well done to Joel

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
John Lynch is a headteacher at a Brighton primary school and may have been born in Wales but isnt Welsh!! Having said that well done to Joel

He was born in Barry. He's Welsh.

You don't have to walk around, holding a daffodil, yelling "Boyo" in a sing-song voice, to be Welsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here