Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jobs...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
No one will give me a bloody job. I've got a good degree in GIS which is up and coming. And every single f***ing place wants "a minimum of 2 years commercial experience".. AAAAAHHHH!!!!

... rant over... anyone wanna give me a job?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
have you applied for any graduate schemes? Please excuse my ignorance but what is GIS?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Ah googled it-i see. Well i guess the first question is what would you actually like to do with your degree? There are plenty of options but what would be your desired path?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
thanks all, it's "Geographical Information Systems" basically stuff like Google Earth, it's used everywhere in councils for planning, Water Services, mapping anything and everything. I've literally had my ear glued to the phone for 3 weeks trying now...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe if you didn't steal coffee off anywhere foolish enough to employ you, you'd get a job

che

Nov 24, 2007
No one will give me a bloody job. I've got a good degree in GIS which is up and coming. And every single f***ing place wants "a minimum of 2 years commercial experience".. AAAAAHHHH!!!!

... rant over... anyone wanna give me a job?

Why not start your own business?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe you could get a job in recruitment?

Buttinhams

Be seeing you!
Apr 24, 2008
Have you tried The Survey Association? I know that they have members in the South of England - there is a link to a careers page. I know the people that run this, and I'm sure that they would be pleased to help. Good luck.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I know its not directly related but Ordnance Survey are based in Southampton. Ordnance Survey

Currently want sales people and there are other roles worth looking at. Might well be a way into that environment. Otherwise grad schemes would definitely be worth looking at-perhaps with BP based in Sunbury? It all depends if you want to stay in GIS fields or move away from that.

Nobody will "give" you a job. Companies do not "give" jobs.

They will employ you if, and only if, they think you can help them solve their problem.

So step 1, work out what a company's problem is. Step 2 explain to them how you can solve or help solve it.

Over-simplified of course, but true nevertheless.

Sometimes it's a matter of mindset and "gissajob" is the wrong mindset.

Now I'm not saying this is what you are saying, but it may be what the companies are hearing.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
thanks all, it's "Geographical Information Systems" basically stuff like Google Earth, it's used everywhere in councils for planning, Water Services, mapping anything and everything. I've literally had my ear glued to the phone for 3 weeks trying now...

Afraid I'm still none the wiser. What practical uses are there in the real world that companies might use you for, other than, errr mapping ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sometimes it's a matter of mindset and "gissajob" is the wrong mindset.

to be fair, theres a culture thats been fostered by this government that a degree is a magic ticket to instant emplyment. never mind that theres 50000 other graduate each year and employers wont real skills rather than theortical fluff, students are led to believe they will walk into a related job upon graduation.

i do sympathise with the OP, its difficult to get those first years experience when everyone requires them, its the same if you want to switch career or focus. you just have to look at the poorly paying jobs to kickstart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here